Scavi Tour and Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel

My husband and I were pleased to secure two tickets to visit the Scavi under St. Peter's at the Vatican...our question is; once the tour has been completed, are you allowed to enter the museums and Sistine Chapel without standing in line or taking a tour? We really don't care if we have a tour guide, we just want to see the ceiling and experience the chapel. Thank you in advance for any tips you may have. :)

When we did the Scavi tour it ended at Pope John Paul II tomb below the Basilica. It was very easy to go into the basilica from there, no fee to enter the basilica. Depending on how things have changed in the last two years, you may need to go through a security checkpoint now though to get in. Depending on time of year and time of day, the line length may not be very long. The Sistine Chapel is part of the Vatican museums and is another story, you would need to buy a separate ticket to get in there. The line length will depend on time of year, day of week and time of day. Entrance for the Vatican museums is basicaly on the opposite outer side of St. Peter's square. Many people have recently said that lines to get into the Vatican museums are much shorter to non-existant in the afternoons.

They require separate tickets, so you would need to either reserve in advance for the Vatican Museums/Sistine Chapel, or wait in line once there.

You can reserve a tour ticket directly with the Vatican website (but not just an entrance ticket): http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Servizi_Visite.html

I think there are some agencies that give you the choice of buying an 'entrance only' or a 'tour' ticket.

I received a reply to my request for a Scavi tour - but it only noted that they had received my request (an automated response). Since then there has been no word.

How long did it take others to find out if they would be issued tickets? Is there a seperate charge for the Scavi tour?

How long did it take others to find out if they would be issued tickets? Is there a seperate charge for the Scavi tour?

I sent a request at the beginning of May for a Scavi tour on October 10th and received the automated reply right away. The confirmation came 6 weeks later, in mid-June. Once you receive the confirmation, you have 30 days to respond with payment - 10 euros per person.

Archived