Stick-on "step diopter" lenses vs. pop-out / replacement dive mask lenses

mikeerdas

I've noticed there are stick-on / adhesive "step diopter" 'prescription' lenses for sale that are half the price of pop-out / replacement "step diopter" lenses. Prices I've seen are $30 for a pair of the former (e.g. Dive Optx) vs. $30 per each lense for others.

How well do the Dive Optx stick-ons work vs. the pop-out / replacement lenses? I'm thinking I'd probably prefer the "permanent" replacement lenses, even at $30 for each lens.

How difficult is it to install the replacement lenses myself vs. the stick-ons? I know a dive shop would replace the lenses for me, but the same model of mask I'm looking at is $30 cheaper online (only $20) vs. $50 (list price) for the same model of mask at my local dive shop (not including $30 per lens). I'm afraid to ask about price matching in the local dive shop since the price is so dramatically different.

Wonder if I could just purchase the masks-only online, then purchase the lenses from the local dive shop? Would it be a faux-pas or impolite to do so? The local dive shop would still be earning whatever mark-up that is on the $30 each lenses.

Was seriously considering Snorkel-mart, since I presume they install the replacement lenses for you; but I've emailed them and have not gotten an answer on their return policy; e.g. if the mask doesn't fit, can I get a full refund? My guess is that a Snorkel-mart mask would fit, but now what I've found a particular model that does fit, I'm not sure I want to risk it if I can't get a full refund.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased corrective lenses from http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TMCL They worked great once I figured out I needed two diopters less correction than my regular glasses. The company was great about exchanging the lenses quickly. There is a video on how to change the lenses on their page too. If you order from this company they will put them in the goggles for you. I must say, snorkeling with corrective lenses makes the experience so much better!

Archived