Book Through Carnival or Travel Agent?

twinsmom21

We have decided to take our first cruise. Is it better to book directly through Carnival, or can you get better deals through a travel agent?

Hi and welcome to Cruise Critic.:)

You can usually do better booking with a TA. Just make sure you ask what their policies are for changes, cancellations, price drops, etc.

Since you're new here I just want to mention that we are not allowed to mention travel agents, or travel agencies by name.

If ya do your post usually go POOF!

Bill

We used a TA and got a group rate that was lower then Carnival website and had onboard credit. But rates have dropped a lot and our TA won't do anything for us. Many people on my cruise have gotten onboard credit for price drops from TAs and PVPs, but we have not. So I suppose it is like anything else, it depends who you work with.

We have decided to take our first cruise. Is it better to book directly through Carnival, or can you get better deals through a travel agent?

I check the sites online and call to see what they can do, then I call Carnival. Remember once you have paid your deposit with whomever, you can have your cruise transferred to another company. I have done this several times so that I can get an OBC or the price drop. I have even changed it among Carnivals PVP when I was not happy with the service.

I check the sites online and call to see what they can do, then I call Carnival. Remember once you have paid your deposit with whomever, you can have your cruise transferred to another company. I have done this several times so that I can get an OBC or the price drop. I have even changed it among Carnivals PVP when I was not happy with the service.

How do you change it from companies? Wouldn't the booking TA charge for a cancellation if that happened, otherwise they wouldn't get their commission if the booking was "moved" to another company.

glmnj - When you book with carnival you can (easily) transfer to a TA, for whatever reason including a better deal. Generally you cannot transfer from TA to TA without the originating TA agreeing, altho Carnival has a procedure for doing so, with some justification required. You CANNOT transfer from a TA to Carnival (without GREAT justification). ken

We used a TA and got a group rate that was lower then Carnival website and had onboard credit. But rates have dropped a lot and our TA won't do anything for us. Many people on my cruise have gotten onboard credit for price drops from TAs and PVPs, but we have not. So I suppose it is like anything else, it depends who you work with.

As with everything else you have to ask questions. I am pretty sure group rates are not adjustable as it effects the perks that come with the group.

Sometimes when booking you are booked into a group without you even knowing it.

Bill

Archived