Just another newbie with annoying questions

newbie-cruizer

Renee, so sorry, I didnt realise there was a minimum age, i cant see why, they didnt go that fast. I know you had to have a drivers licence to drive, not sure if they said you had to be 18 or 21. There were kids when we went , not sure how old though. Kids would love, anyway so sorry, perhaps you should check, was fun. If you didnt do thru ship (which I wont do again) you could just go off and do on your own or get a group of you. There were 2 different companies that did the buggy tours, we got a brochur and said if we came back we could go direct. Heaps cheaper. You could even look up on internet, they have their own site. Fiona

Hey there guys well congrats on doing ur cruise you will have a ball..

The only place i actually spent money was in villa at the duty free (very cheap) cheaper than on the pacific dawn. Nouma well as far as im concerned wouldnt spend a cent there just to expensive there really (save it for villa) They also exchange money on the ship so dont worry about that. All the shows and entertaiment in the dome and show lounge are great dont miss any. I spent most of my time realxing on the holiday and swimming on the beaches all on shore activites are great but depends on what u really want to do they will give u a list on the boat anyway of the stuff there is to do. Have fun guys enjoy

I got my tickets, I got my tickets!!! :D

So, so excited. No cabin has been allocated yet, but I would be happy to sleep anywhere really :cool:

I am wondering what hours the kids club opens?? We want to do a jet-boat ride first thing (and kids are too young), so will need to leave them in the kids club until it's finished, THEN we can all go exploring :)

Vila seems to be the only stop with organised tours. Do we just organise the other tours at the other islands ourselves ON those islands when we arrive??

How long does it take to walk and buy :p your way thru the markets??

That is fantastic!!! Not long now :).

Renee, so sorry, I didnt realise there was a minimum age, i cant see why, they didnt go that fast. I know you had to have a drivers licence to drive, not sure if they said you had to be 18 or 21. There were kids when we went , not sure how old though. Kids would love, anyway so sorry, perhaps you should check, was fun. If you didnt do thru ship (which I wont do again) you could just go off and do on your own or get a group of you. There were 2 different companies that did the buggy tours, we got a brochur and said if we came back we could go direct. Heaps cheaper. You could even look up on internet, they have their own site. Fiona

Hi Fiona

Where do the buggy tours leave from? Do you know how m uch the independent ones cost? I assume each buggy holds 2?

Thanks

If you do the buggy tour thru ship, they collect you from port and take you to where buggys are. About 5-10min away. Just thru town. If you did on your own you would just get a taxi there. We are going again and have looked everywhere for the brochur they gave me incase we went again, that had prices and all different buggy tours on offer, ranging from about 1 hour to about 5hr (I think) Well I cant find anywhere, I know they had a web site,(remember him telling us about it) havent checked but I guess if you just googled it you will find and get them to send you brochur or email details thru to you. Hope this helps. Fiona

Also, sorry, yes each buggy holds 2. They are automatic, so you basically just use the accelerator. Has horn (kids beeped continually) The kids loved as you got to choose your helmets, they were really strange and funny, mine had big horns on it and kids looked like little german helmets

Looks like the buggy's are out of contention too now :mad:

Children must be over 7 years old and over 1200mm in height. My 8 year old is OK (only just by 40mm:eek:) but they won't accept the 4 year old :(

I googled to find the company. The only one I can find is the one that actually does the P&O tours and she said you have to book thru' P&O.

At this stage I think we might just 'wing-it' when we get there.:confused:

I am a bit over it at the moment :(

• 2 weeks later...

I now officially have a cabin number :D

Originally it just said "Category E"

Now it says "Category D" What exactly does the category mean?

Cabin number C242... This seems to be the Caribe Deck.

Is that an upgrade? If so, is it a good one? :confused:

Can someone also explain "Anytime Dining"? I didn't request it, it just seems to be automatic on my cruise personaliser. Does that mean I can turn up anytime for my meals? I thought this would apply to everyone, or do you usually have to book.

Thanks again

Renee

Hi Renee,

You have been upgraded by one category from deck 8 (Dolphin) to deck 9 (Caribe). C242 is an outside cabin, fairly close to the aft. This is a slight up-grade.

Pacific Dawn operates with 'Anytime dining' which means you do not have a fixed table and dining time and the same table companions at every meal. You can walk in at any time and if there are places available you will be seated with whoever else walks in around the same time. You can book for a time and for a particular table/waiters if you wish. You might like to change your time a bit depending on whether it is a port day or a sea day.

Enjoy your cruise. :):)

Evon.

Thanks - It's a bummer it's only a slight upgrade but better than nothing at all I suppose. Given it's close to the aft, I hope it doesn't move around too much. I am not prone to getting sick, but worry about our kids as it will be their first time on a boat (apart from a person ferry or a car ferry - sorry heat has melted my brain :D)

What are my chances of being upgraded again?? Or once it's has been changed, is that where it stays?

Sorry should have made that clearer......

I was wondering if you made a purchase via Visa whilst on an island, how the charges worked. Same amount as the item you purchase or extra charges.

Hi Newbie :)

I'm a newbie myself, first cruise too and so excited, not long now to go :) I also had a heap of questions when I first booked and so here's the link that might also help you out with some questions

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=783334&highlight=

Anyway, I'll leave you to it now and shall see you on board the boat :D

I'll be the one celebrating big time the night we depart, my birthday :)

What are my chances of being upgraded again?? Or once it's has been changed, is that where it stays?

I think it is unlikely that you would be upgraded again. It happened once to us, but it was a special circumstance. The Pacific Star had been in drydock and we were on the first cruise after repairs. The ship was barely half full and I think everyone was in an outside cabin. We were up-graded from an inside to an outside, and then again to an outside on a higher deck. In your case, I think you can fairly safely assume you will stay where you are. :):)

Evon.

Hi Newbie

It was only a short time ago that I too was a 'Newbie' We had our first ever cruise on same boat 29th Nov 08. It has to be the best thing we have done. I am still in cruise mode and spend time 'cruising' these types of sites which bring back great memories, so I am feeling very excited for you - not long to go now. Envy, Envy.

The other cruisesers who are answering your questions seem to be very informative, so I hope you don't mind me using your thread to ask some of my own.

Had such a great time on our trip that I just HAD to show our grandchildren (10 and 13), so we booked a cruise as xmas present for 3 nights in July. Really only 2 full days so we want to pack as much as we can in them. Does anyone know much about this sampler cruise? Do thay still have a theme night or maybe a formal night? Does the Shark Shack still have activities? I would appreciate any info about this cruise.

Newbie I hope you have a great time. Come back and tell us all after you return.

We have been on two Brisbane-Sydney 2 night cruises. They pack everything into those two nights and it is actually a bit frantic with all sorts of activities. So yes - there will be a full range of activities. :):)

Evon.

Just a quick response re the exchange rate. No fee should apply when your on board account is charged to your credit card. Unless you are with NAB. I am yet to argue this with them, but it seems they chose to pay P&O London and not P&O Australia. Therebye attracting a fee. Knowing the NAB. I am sure this was deliberate. We would not have known this this was not right, except that we went with a large group of people. P&O said they DO have an Australian Account which the NAB would have known about. So check your statements.

Just a quick response re the exchange rate. No fee should apply when your on board account is charged to your credit card. Unless you are with NAB. I am yet to argue this with them, but it seems they chose to pay P&O London and not P&O Australia. Therebye attracting a fee. Knowing the NAB. I am sure this was deliberate. We would not have known this this was not right, except that we went with a large group of people. P&O said they DO have an Australian Account which the NAB would have known about. So check your statements.

Our Mastercard is with Commonwealth and the amount charge to our M/C account was the same amount as was on our last statement from P&O and no other charges.

The name of the company paid Pacific Dawn London GBR.... I cannot understand why ANZ would charge more.........although if they do maybe by our next cruise Commonwealth bank will charge more too!!!:eek:

Archived