NCL Dawn/ New England Cruise

Catmjs

My parents are leaving in two weeks for a cruise on the NCL Dawn to New England and Canada. My mom a month ago broke a portion of her hip. She is starting to get around, but uses a walker and a wheelchair. She is concerned that she will not be able to do any excursion when the ship docks because of the wheel chair. Can anyone tell me if there are any excursions that she would be able to do in the wheelchair.

Thanks

Sandy

My parents are leaving in two weeks for a cruise on the NCL Dawn to New England and Canada. My mom a month ago broke a portion of her hip. She is starting to get around, but uses a walker and a wheelchair. She is concerned that she will not be able to do any excursion when the ship docks because of the wheel chair. Can anyone tell me if there are any excursions that she would be able to do in the wheelchair.

Thanks

Sandy

I am going on a similar cruise, only on the NCL Jewel. I didn't see any excursions there that I could go on. I do know that some of the ports -- Halifax, Charlottestown and Sydney for sure -- are pretty easy to get around in, in a wheelchair, so I intend to just get off the ship and see what I can from the shore at the base of the ship. Halifax has a nice boardwalk, I'm told. Not all the shops will be accessible, but I can "window shop".

Quebec is a very hilly and old city, lots of cobblestones and rough streets (we spent a week there on a land-based vacation) so I don't expect to even attempt to get off the ship.

If you are very adventurous you can get off the ship and remain in the lower part of the city. This is fairly even, and has some great restaurants where you can sit and watch the world go by. You can also get the elevator up to the ramparts from the lower town. There is a special entrance to the elevator for wheelchairs. This will enable you to stroll along the rampart boardwalk, and check in the Chateau. It will depend on your "wheelchair pusher". We are in our sixties, and managed to get our 80+ mother around the areas I have described. Good luck!

Annette

Thanks, Annette, for the tips about Quebec. My "pusher" is going to be off on a series of visits in Quebec while the ship is there...so it may or may not be feasible for me to get off...but I'm fine with that. I enjoy sitting on the deck (or on our balcony, depending on how the ship is situated!) just people watching. :)

Archived