Caribbean Waters

Mike45

Goodmorning Everyone,

I was talking to a co-worker yesterday about a cruise the wife and are planning for next spring. He felt going in late winter or early spring was a bad move. We are looking at the caribbean and he has taken several cruises that time of year and felt it was rough that time of year due to the cold atlantic mixing with the warmer gulf waters. Anyone heard this before or is he just "confused"?:D

Goodmorning Everyone,

I was talking to a co-worker yesterday about a cruise the wife and are planning for next spring. He felt going in late winter or early spring was a bad move. We are looking at the caribbean and he has taken several cruises that time of year and felt it was rough that time of year due to the cold atlantic mixing with the warmer gulf waters. Anyone heard this before or is he just "confused"?:D

It can be rough coming down the eastern seaboard or smooth as glass. It is alway a bit rough leaving Cozumel as you reenter the Gulf of Mexico at all times of the year. If you are heading back into Galveston, NOLA or Mobile, you will have to traverse the cold front which can cause some motion.

Personally I dont have a problem with rough seas, it just lets you know that you are on a ship. It can still get rough in the summer also. Remember you are but a cork on a big sea.

If you are still worried, make sure you get a cabin in the middle of the ship at the lowest point. It is less affected by motion there.

Dave

Goodmorning Everyone,

... He felt going in late winter or early spring was a bad move. We are looking at the caribbean and he has taken several cruises that time of year and felt it was rough that time of year due to the cold atlantic mixing with the warmer gulf waters.

What would be your itinerary... are you starting from New York or form Fort Lauderdale...?

Goodmorning Everyone,

This is the time we normally cruise. Best time of the year IMO..........

We;ve cruised many times in Feb. March and April and most of those times the seas have been perfectly calm. Of course there may be a day here or there that's a little choppy, but you'll have that any time of the year. Actually our roughest cruise was in November. It's really a crap shoot. But I LOVE cruising late Winter early spring. It's my favorite time of year in the Caribbean. Near perfect weather.

We usually fly from Pa. to Orlando and leave from port canaveral as i have a cousin who lives there. My co-worker feels the caibbean in general is rough during the spring. I'm not worried about it, just never heard that before.:rolleyes:

I've cruised 3 times in to the Caribbean in March and never had real rough seas. On each cruise we had maybe one day that was kind of rough but not bad enough that people were real sick or anything. The smoothest cruise I've ever been on was and early December cruise.

I've been on 6 cruises. The smoothest seas were on early Sept. and mid June cruises. Roughest seas were mid Nov. and late March. Average seas were mid Oct. & early Feb. HOWEVER, I really think it's more "luck of the draw" as to what kind of seas you're going to get on any given week. Obviously, that fabulously smooth cruise we enjoyed in early Sept. could have easily involved skirting around a hurricane, but we were lucky. This past June, after we had enjoyed glassy smooth seas the entire week, the cruisers who boarded as we got off, had extremely rough seas.

However, despite the smooth or rough seas you might have, I think I have decided that winter cruises are not for me. I don't like giving up the outdoor decks and balcony that sea day going out and coming back in, due to cool, windy weather. Winter weather is fine, once you reach your tropical destination, but you can't avoid it when you go through the Gulf. So I will stay away from Dec. thru Feb. cruises in the future. ;)

We usually fly from Pa. to Orlando and leave from port canaveral as i have a cousin who lives there. My co-worker feels the caibbean in general is rough during the spring. I'm not worried about it, just never heard that before.:rolleyes:

We have always cruised February and have never really experienced rough seas. The occasional day may be a little rock and roll but that makes it fun. Have a great cruise.

I prefer to cruise the first two weeks of May... to many kids on board... no Hurricanes, it's right before the summer rainy season. It a great time to cruise.

I don't recall rough water... not even on the Pacific coast of Mexico with a Hurricane chasing us... although I did feel it one night while sleeping during that chase.

Unless you love kids and all the elevator buttons pressed, and all the jacuzzi's taken over by kids, you might not want to cruise between Feb 15th and April 15th... this is Spring Break in the US. Yes, you read it correctly... two months of Spring Breaks as every school district or college has their own schedules.

I found May 1 thru May 15 to be a great time to cruise.

Best of luck. :)

Goodmorning Everyone,

Sometimes the sea is rough, others times not so much. There is no way to predict what the weather or the actions of the sea might be.

There are plus and minuses for any season of the year. Don't worry about it. Just go and have a good time.

We sailed once in March and it was smooth, but a bit cool at sailaway and debarkation. Big deal, what did we expect?

Now we sail with friends and always sail Oct-Nov. (Once early Dec.) We have had rough seas and smooth seas, but never a hurricane. I really don't notice a dramatic shift in temperature passing through the gulfstream, but about a half day from Galveston it does start to get cooler.

Last time I checked, the Gulf Stream flows south to north not the other way around.

Well, mostly. Along the west coast of Florida it flows north to south and then circles around the state and goes back north towards Newfoundland.

I guess that means in the Florida Straits it flows west to east as well.

Archived