I've never snorkled and want to try it...a little scared

kd901

Hello all,

I will be taking my first cruise next week (solo) to Cozumel and Grand Caymen via RCCL. I just learned how to swim a couple of months ago from taking lessons. Here's my issue, I can swim, but I can't tread water. Should I try to go snorkeling if I can't tread water????

I recommend you do one of the snorkel trips that your ship offers.

They teach you how to use the equipment before you jump in the water. They also give you an inflatable vest that you could use if you got tired.

Salt water is a lot more buoyant than fresh water so you would probably naturally float on the surface without having to tread water.

Have fun!

Mark

You should probably try to snorkel at Grand Cayman instead of Cozumel. While I have never snorkled at Cozumel, I have dove there and its a drift dive site. Basically, the currents are very strong, and as a diver, you just let them take you from place to place. Im sure the shore excursions will avoid the heavy drifts, but always safe to check and find out.

I've snorkeled in Cozumel. Never had any problems with a really strong current. And when we took a snorkel trip, it was actually a drift snorkel. Each place we snorkeled started at the boat and then we drifted and the boat followed and then picked us up. Our guide went in the water with us and carried a flotation device in case anyone had problems. Everyone was also made to wear a safety vest, no matter how much experience you had. So you might want to ask those questions when deciding on a trip.

I've snorkeled in both places. I'd say Grand Cayman is a lot better for snorkeling. I've done a lot of snorkeling and the best snorkeling I've done so far has been at Coral Gardens off Grand Cayman. It was part of a swim with the stingrays expeditiona nd can only be reached by boat. If you do snorkel, do use and inflate the life preserver and stay close to the boat and let the guides know you are a novice in case of trouble.

Hello all,

Here's my issue, I can swim, but I can't tread water. Should I try to go snorkeling if I can't tread water????

In the Caribbean if you can spread your arms and legs out you can float (especially with the vest they provide). The big thing is to take it slow, then slower, then slower yet. As long as you're relaxed and enjoying the view, believe me, treading will be the last thing on your mind. It was a good suggestion to tell them you're a newbie to snorkeling. The excursions almost always put a crew member in the water and ask to stay near them if you're a bit nervous. They see newbies every day and know how to help them. You'll enjoy your snorkeling in the Caribbean and I'm sure you'll have great fun!

Randall

So you never snorkled before, no problem!! A cruise is a great way to enjoy this activity.

You can go with either a ship tour or if you go in the port of call board on this website, research for a local guide that only have a smaller group.

I can swim,but only do so once or twice a year when I cruise. I always keep my safety in mind and if a situation don't feel right, I will get back on the boat. Also, every snorkling tour I've taken always give you a life jacket. Also let the guides know that it's your first time doing it. On every tour I been on, if you are a newbie, they do pay close attention to you and will check with you to make sure everything is ok.

Relax!! I know it sounds so easy, but it's easy to tense up because this is something different.

I've snorkle in both ports. In Cozumel, I took the ship tour and we were rather close to the shore and followed a trail. I had no problems with the currents, but everyday is different.

In the Caymans I snorkled three times. Once with the ship and two other times with a local tour guide. On the ship tour I took the very first one in the morning (about 8:30 a.m.) there was only 12 people and four were doing it for the first time. The guides were wonderful and made sure that everyone had a great time. My only complaint was it was early April and the water was chilly. The other two times were with local guides that I booked due to wonderful reviews from this website. Each one check with everyone to find out our swim levels,snorkling experience,etc. Each time there was only about 10 to 15 people and about four to five guides in the water at all times. I can recall that in one spot in the Caymams the water was a little rough and I return to the boat.

One thing that I enjoy is it's total peace in the water and it really relax me.

I also cruise alot solo and never had a problem doing a tour alone. I always meet someone on the tour and have a great time.

Enjoy yourself and report back!!

Happy sailing!!

I snorkeled in St Maarten about 3 years ago and I, Like you, was terrified! I am not a good swimmer and drowning is my biggest fear!

Relax! Everything will be fine!

They gave us all a blow up life jacket (which, yes, I was frightened at first it was going to deflate), showed us how to use the snorkel equipment and made sure everyone was comfortable before sending us out to sea! lol

After about 10 minutes, I was so relaxed and at ease....

I plan to snorkel in the Cayman Islands in December.

Go! Please! You will NOT regret it!

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Yes you should definately try snorkeling! I had a friend in the same boat, he was a new swimmer and not that comortable in the water. He put the snorkeling gear on and inflated the snorkeling vest and had a great time. The other posters are right with you being more buoyant in saltwater. I also agree with the suggestion to book a snorkeling tour from the ship, as they are used to having first timers on board. Many of the tour operators have those noodle things to hang on too in addition to the vests which might help make you feel more comfortable your first time out.

Have a great cruise and enjoy the chance to snorkel!

• 4 weeks later...

I am so glad someone else has posted this question! I went to Hawaii two years ago (right after the earthquak'es), and we tried to snorkel. We didn't go on an excursion, but went into a "protected lagoon". The water was murky from the recent earthquakes, and the seas rough due to the weather, so it wasn't the best experience. The worst (and most embarrasing part) was when we actually saw some fish (kinda big, maybe a foot long), I couldn't help but want to swim in the opposite direction! How do I get over this silly fear of the fish, and has anyone else had this? They are just beautiful and amazing, but I get the eebie jeebies! Help!!!

How do I get over this silly fear of the fish, and has anyone else had this? They are just beautiful and amazing, but I get the eebie jeebies! Help!!!

Hi,

I know how you feel. I remember the first time I snorkeled with a baracuda in the area. They have large teeth and just "look mean". But I've come to find, they're all afraid of US! Even when I've seen a shark in open water scuba diving, I've yet to see one coming towards me, they're always swimming the other way. While a foot long fish may look big, look at it from their perspective, we're a 5-6 foot long fish swimming towards them. :eek: I've been snorkeling and diving for over a decade and I'm happy to report no missing fingers, toes, etc. I can only remember a few times when I've been bothered by a fish and it's usually the little fingerling sized ones where I accidently wandered into their nesting territory while scuba diving. The most dangerous fish in the ocean is us. With that said, just a few things to keep in mind while snorkeling. Don't directly swim at a fish where it will cause it to be cornered. Every animal has a defensive mechanism. Swim slowly and steady, or hover, to really see fish doing their natural activites on the reef. Don't stand on the reef. It's a living animal, you wouldn't want someone to stand on your dog. Don't panic if you have a fish swimming towards you you feel uncomfortable with. Just slowly turn at an angle and swim away. And under the unlikely case where you feel threatened, slowly get back where you can get out of the water and ask for assistance. Locals and guides generally are well versed in the local reef behavior and can tell you why that happened.

We have the ability to destroy reefs by standing on them, taking pieces home, poluting them with the gas from our boats and killing fish by feeding them with foods not natural to their diet (like bread from the ship). Don't worry about the fish, if you're lucky you'll be still enough that they don't see you as a threat and allow you to get close enough to see how pretty they can be. :)

Top apex predator and scuba diver,

Randall

I am pretty much a novice snorkler and not a strong swimmer, and I use the inflatable vest. It makes me feel more secure and I can take my time floating around and enjoying my surroundings. It is worth trying, and you will get hooked, I can guarantee it!

You have got to try it. I was VERY scared the first time I tried it because I'm not a strong swimmer but it's no problem with the life vest. I was also really nervous about the fish touching me so when snorkeling I would stay away from those who were feeding the fish. You will be amazed how many surround you when you have food. My husband did it and he loved it, I on the otherhand was a good ten feet away from him.:p I would try snorkeling in your first port to get used to it and then do another snorkel excursion in your second port. By the end of the cruise you'll be so comfortable snorkeling in the ocean you'll consider yourself a pro. ENJOY!

The first time I went snorkeling I used the equipment provided by the tour group. I had trouble with it fitting my face and it kept leaking so it was not a fun excursion! I was very frustrated! The next cruise I went on I made sure I had purchased my own snorkel and mask prior to going on the cruise. I practiced using it and made sure I had the proper fit and I had a wonderful experience on my next snorkeling adventure! Purchasing my own equipment($40.00 at Sam's Club) made all the difference in the world! Hope this tip helps!

I agree with the last post to get your own equipment-I recently got my mom to snorkel and she ended up using my equipment while I used the rental because her mask and snorkel were terrible! With your own you can also practice in the pool on the ship before going out. It may take you a while to get used to it and its better to do that in a pool than while pretty fish are swimming by and your missing it! My mom cant swim-is afraid to put her head under water but wanted to see fish-I had her practice on shore in the shallows then we went to Xel Ha (Mexico) where there are no waves and very safe. She was kinda scared for the first 5 minutes getting in and not being able to touch the ground but quickly got over it and was soon floating all over the place having a great time. Snorkeing is very safe if you are wearing a life jacket and are not out alone. ENJOY!

I am not a swimmer, but DH loves snorkelling and I like to do excursions with him. I have had pleasant and horrible experiences with snorkeling. I have learned that you shouldn't hesitate to ASK QUESTIONS before you book a snorkeling excursion. How deep is the water? How far from the boat will you be going? Will a guide watch out for you are are you pretty much on your own? Do they provide an inflatable snorkel vest (good - easy to use while snorkeling and reassuring) or just a regular life vest (useless - just holds your head above water and keeps you upright which is incompatible with snorkeling) -on one excursion even had to PAY to rent a regular life jacket.

Also I have learned that the mask must fit very well in order for me to feel confident (the same excursion that didn't provide a vest also had poorly fitting masks). There are usually only two sizes - child and adult. I am a small adult and need something between these 2 sizes.

The last couple of cruises, we've done excusions where DH could snorkel while I just enjoyed the beach. This time though, I'm thinking of visiting a dive shop and buying my own mask and vest. (I can use the fins they provide) These don't take up much room in the luggage and can make all the difference.

Hope you will find these tips relevant.

Archived