Winter Cruising from NJ?

HI Everyone

I've got a 9 night booked January 2nd and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it or switch cruises. i'd be happy for your input.

We're cruising from Bayonne on the 9 night and we've got an *aft balcony*. For me the key selling point of the cruise is the use of the balcony. But I'm worried about the cold weather. Realistically, how many of the 9 nights can we expect to be able to sit out and sun on the balcony? I'm trying to decide if maybe I should go with a 7 day out of Florida instead, to maximize sun exposure.

ideas?

Because of Winter weather we are going to travel the day before and stay in a hotel.

I see you are from Canada you should be used to harsh Winters

Usually by the night after setting sail it starts warming up. So if set sail Sunday by Monday night it should be warming up. 24hours at 20 knots 480 NMiles

We sailed from Bayonne last Feb. for 9 nights. We left on Friday, by Sat. afternoon it was sunny but windy at the pool and by Sunday it was very sunny and hot at the pool, so I'm sure you could use your balcony. Coming back it was hot and sunny Friday, much cooler and windy on Sat (couldn't go to the pool) and we docked Sun. AM to snow on the ground! Of course if you hit any kind of storm, things could change. We did enjoy our trip.

Most of your time will be spent inside on the eve of departure having dinner, unpacking and exploring the ship. Then you go to sleep, by afternoon of the next day you should be somewhere around the Carolinas. It will be nice on your balcony by that time. Coming back the last overnight may be cool but again but its time to pack and have dinner and you wake up in NY.

I'm doing the 12 day night after your cruise and talked to my travel agent about the same concerns. I no longer have concerns about the cold weather, I think I'll really enjoy the gradual change. I would much rather cruise down that take a plane to FL this time.

HI Everyone

I've got a 9 night booked January 2nd and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it or switch cruises. i'd be happy for your input.

We're cruising from Bayonne on the 9 night and we've got an *aft balcony*. For me the key selling point of the cruise is the use of the balcony. But I'm worried about the cold weather. Realistically, how many of the 9 nights can we expect to be able to sit out and sun on the balcony? I'm trying to decide if maybe I should go with a 7 day out of Florida instead, to maximize sun exposure.

ideas?

We in the Northeast know that we can have warm days in the winter time ( 40 + Degrees ) Or we can have very cold days ( 10 degrees ) We cruise this same cruise in January 2008 and the day we left it was an average day id say...in the mid to upper 30's. It was weird sailing away in the cold. We're use to sipping a cold drink and sweating from the muster drill. LOL!!

Well the day after we left it was still a little cool, but we sat out with a sweatshirt on. The next day was sunny and warm. As far as coming back, there was a warm front and it was warm until the night before we docked. So, as you can see it all depends on the weather. On average, I think you loose one day leaving and one day coming back due to coldness. Go for it, its a nice cruise....the sea days are very relaxing.

We sailed from Bayonne last Feb. for 9 nights. We left on Friday, by Sat. afternoon it was sunny but windy at the pool and by Sunday it was very sunny and hot at the pool, so I'm sure you could use your balcony. Coming back it was hot and sunny Friday, much cooler and windy on Sat (couldn't go to the pool) and we docked Sun. AM to snow on the ground! Of course if you hit any kind of storm, things could change. We did enjoy our trip.

We sailed in November of this past year, and our experience was identical to DPurcell58's. :)

We looked at the two colder sea days as kind of a bonus, as the other cruises we were looking at for the same price were 7 day cruises. The itinerary was about the same as some of the 7 day cruises we were looking at, just with extra sea days tacked on to the beginning and end of the cruise to get you out of and back into the colder climate. Those days were too chilly to do much outside, but there were plenty of indoor activities to keep us occupied. That, or just finding a spot for kicking back and relaxing was cool with us, too. :)

One thing to consider, if you're queasey at the thought of rough seas, is that there is likely to be rougher seas that time of year the further you move up the Atlantic coast. We saw some very rough seas the sea day prior to arriving back into port. For us...we popped our bonine and ginger and enjoyed the ride, and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. :)

HI Everyone

ideas?

I hope you keep your cruise booked and I am on the same sailing. :D

A few years ago we took the VOS from Bayonne for a Thanksgiving cruise and it was snowing during departure. The first day out on deck was pretty cold but we enjoyed out aft balcony (JS 1394) because we were shielded from the wind. By the time we woke up on day 2 we were able to just use hoodies and jeans to keep us warm on deck and by day three we were swimming.

I picked another aft balcony for this sailing but downgraded to 7388. I cant wait for the large balcony and the ship. The Explorer has so much to see and do that there will be plenty to keep you busy indoors if you dont want to venture out on deck the first and last day.

I also suggest you get a hotel close to the port for the night before. I live only 1:30 from port and still stay close by. You never know what traffic or weather you are going to run into getting to your ship.

Archived