Leinster Bay

blanquita79

Someone told me to go to Leinster Bay instead of Trunk Bay, because it has The Anaberg ruins and waterlemon cay along with Nice snorkling! Any thoughts on this. Is it a nicer beach? As far as the snorkling goes, is there a place there to rent snorkling equipment, or do we need to bring our own?

In another thread you asked about doing a St. John tour. The tour will most likely include stopping at Annaberg Ruins, which is located above Leinster Bay.

Time for you to stop at Leinster and hike to Waterlemon Cay to snorkel isn't part of a typical island tour. The snorkeling there is very good and the beach is lovely but....

You'd have to take a taxi to Leinster and arrange for them to pick you up at a set time as taxis don't usually drive by that area unless they are on a tour and going to Annaberg.

If you decide you want to go to Leinster to snorkel you won't have time to do a tour on either St. John or St. Thomas like you had previously asked about as you will be spending about 4 hours roundtrip getting where you want to go.

Figure about an hour for taxi + ferry. And then Cruz Bay to Leinster takes about 20-25 minutes by taxi. The hike to Waterlemon takes about 30 minutes oneway.

If you do go you need to bring snorkel gear with you and you need to take snacks and drinks, there are no amenities at Waterlemon/Leinster.

--Islander

Wow....thanks for all the thorough info!! Ok, last question to help me determine exactly what we want to do, how good is the snorkeling there (the reef, fish, etc.)? Also, how does the beach compare to others? Is it worth dismissing the tours for?

Oh and thanks for the taxi info! Now I know how much to bring if we do go with the tours.

The snorkeling at Waterlemon is excellent. And the beach is very nice - with the mountain side being completely forested and the beach having no amenities - when you are at Leinster you feel like 'gosh this must be exactly what the islands looked like hundreds of years ago - completely pristine and natural'. Its a great spot.

Visiting Leinster for the day or doing island tours on both islands are different. Both worth doing. You just have to decide which you want to do on this cruise... and start planning another cruise or better yet an on island vacation so you can do the other ;).

--Islander

There is a bit of a current between St. John and the little cay -- make sure you use fins. It'll make the swim much easier. The place where you get into the water has lots of sharp rocks. I do not recommend walking barefoot on that surface. :eek: Suggest using neoprene booties, water shoes, SOMETHING.

This is what it looks like:

58214997_p4Sfw-M.jpg

That's my husband trying to make his way out of the water. As you can see, once you're in the water, the bottom is mostly sand.

I have more pictures here: http://lrichters.smugmug.com/gallery/1240259_WHXLw

It's a LONG trip to make for a cruise ship excursion, though. :o

Archived