luau in oahu

cran08512

• Administrators
Will be staying in waikiki b/4 cruise looking for a luau recommendation

There are several luaus on Oahu. Some of those frequently discussed here are Germaine's (http://www.germainesluau.com/), Paradise Cove (http://www.paradisecovehawaii.com/), and the Polynesian Cultural Center's evening luau (http://www.polynesia.com/), but that's by no means an exclusive list.

We did research "which luau" a lot prior to our cruise in '07, and we chose Paradise Cove. With a coupon from the Entertainment Book (http://www.entertainment.com) we received 25% off their top package -- giving us table seating right beside the stage, table service (instead of buffet), several drink tickets, included photograph, and an upgraded lei greeting. We really enjoyed it, and thought that especially if someone has kids the pre-luau activities like henna tattoos and lei-making would really be appealing. For photos of Paradise Cove, in my signature there's a link to my webshots album from Hawaii and the photos are on pages 1-2. There are also some video clips at youtube if you search for Paradise Cove (some of those videos are mine). Paradise Cove's setting in the Ko Olina area is just extraordinary -- one of the prettiest sunsets we saw during our trip.

That said, I've also read great things about Germaine's and the PCC (do be aware the PCC's luau is dry -- the Mormon Church runs the facility and alcohol is not permitted). I believe all of them either include transportation from Waikiki hotels, or offer it at a small surcharge, so no worries about how to get there.

My husband and 20 year old son went to Germaines in August-they arrived in Oahu 4 days before me, then we all went on the POA cruise. They loved it! They said the food, drinks and entertainment were great. One of the highlights of their stay! They will also pick you up at most hotels in the Waikiki area. I booked it through Hawaiidiscount.com for about $54.00 per person. Enjoy yourself:D Pam

There are several luaus on Oahu. Some of those frequently discussed here are Germaine's (http://www.germainesluau.com/), Paradise Cove (http://www.paradisecovehawaii.com/), and the Polynesian Cultural Center's evening luau (http://www.polynesia.com/), but that's by no means an exclusive list.

We did research "which luau" a lot prior to our cruise in '07, and we chose Paradise Cove. With a coupon from the Entertainment Book (http://www.entertainment.com) we received 25% off their top package -- giving us table seating right beside the stage, table service (instead of buffet), several drink tickets, included photograph, and an upgraded lei greeting. We really enjoyed it, and thought that especially if someone has kids the pre-luau activities like henna tattoos and lei-making would really be appealing. For photos of Paradise Cove, in my signature there's a link to my webshots album from Hawaii and the photos are on pages 1-2. There are also some video clips at youtube if you search for Paradise Cove (some of those videos are mine). Paradise Cove's setting in the Ko Olina area is just extraordinary -- one of the prettiest sunsets we saw during our trip.

That said, I've also read great things about Germaine's and the PCC (do be aware the PCC's luau is dry -- the Mormon Church runs the facility and alcohol is not permitted). I believe all of them either include transportation from Waikiki hotels, or offer it at a small surcharge, so no worries about how to get there.

Thanks for the info on the Entertainment book. Can you tell us if that book has things on more than one island?

Thanks again

• Administrators
Thanks for the info on the Entertainment book. Can you tell us if that book has things on more than one island?

Thanks again

The '07 book did, though by far the bulk of the coupons and discounts were on Oahu. You can actually find out exactly what's in the book by following links at the website I listed above, to see if it includes discounts on things you'll use.

The '07 book did, though by far the bulk of the coupons and discounts were on Oahu. You can actually find out exactly what's in the book by following links at the website I listed above, to see if it includes discounts on things you'll use.

Thanks again friend.

We want to go to the Paradise Cove Laua when our ship pulls in Dec 30 but I'am concerned with the time frame. With there transportation will we be able to be back at the ship by 10:30. They say its usually over at 9:00

and it take about an hour to get back. I'm trying to get as much info from people who have gone. We would'nt want to miss the ship.

Thanks Badlands

• Administrators
We want to go to the Paradise Cove Laua when our ship pulls in Dec 30 but I'am concerned with the time frame. With there transportation will we be able to be back at the ship by 10:30. They say its usually over at 9:00

and it take about an hour to get back. I'm trying to get as much info from people who have gone. We would'nt want to miss the ship.

Thanks Badlands

There's just no way for me to answer that question. It's really up to the Paradise Cove people and whether they will guarantee you that you'll be back to your ship by 10:30. As I recall our trip back to the Waikiki area took about 45 minutes from Paradise Cove, and the pier is between the two so it should take less time, but I'm just a fellow tourist and really couldn't opine on whether their transportation will get you back by the time you need. Everything else aside, there's always the possibility of bad traffic, etc. I think you might need to discuss this with, and try to get something in writing from, the folks at Paradise Cove about it.

Oops, PS -- I just saw your other post about it. If the best they can do for you is drop you at a Waikiki hotel, leaving you to find a cab back to the pier, I think that's cutting it VERY close on time and allows very little margin for error. Perhaps you could look into hiring a car service, like ABC Limos (I haven't used them, but others here have and speak highly of them) to pick you up at Paradise Cove at 9:00 and take you straight to the pier? It would add an expense to your day, but would give some comfort on the timing and making the ship. Alternatively, does your ship offer a luau excursion? With tight sailing times I usually pick ship excursions (it's about the only time I do) for just that reason.

• 4 months later...

I've been there 2x on friday nites and it's wonderful. I haven't been inside the cordoned roped off area where I paid for food but was able to see the dancers and fireknifedancer. For convenience sake, I'd say it's worth the money. I've been to 1 Germaine's, 2 PCC, and 1 Paradise Cove and it's all a complete blur to my memory now.

The Royal Hawaiian (the pink palace) does a very classy luau right on the lawn on Waikiki Beach. It's only on Mondays and you have to call the hotel directly for reservations. BTW, the Royal Hawaiian just reopened days ago after undergoing an 8 month redo. We thought the hotel was just beautiful a couple of years ago-I cannnot even imagine how great it looks now. We enjoyed the luau very much and it's a much smaller crowd than at some of the others-everyone has a good seat.

We are staying at the Hilton Hawaiin Villages and since DH will be working during the day, I am thinking of doing the Luau at the HHV for conveniences.

I've never been to a Luau so I'm guessing if this one is even just OK I'll probably be happy with it. I did read that it includes entertainment from different island groups so in incorporates Tahitian, Samoan, and other Polynesian dance styles and traditions, which I think I would like.

Does any body know if it is at least OK, maybe over priced, but might be worth it for the fact that it is right at the hotel at which we are staying? DH doesn't want to have to drive or take a a bus in the evenings.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just in Honolulu last week at the Hilton Hawaiian Villages Hotel. We did indeed attend the Luau at Hilton Hawaiian Villiges.

I enjoyed the Luau, and from a pure convenience stance it was the best choice for us. We really didn't want to travel across the island to Germains or the Polynesian Cultural center, so what we got for $95 per person was worth it from the fact that all we had to do was ride the elevator down stairs and walk out to the lawn.

Here's a run down of the what the luau included.

A Lei greeting (shell leis).

A Hawaiian music quartet playing as we settled in.

A very weak, very sweet mai-tai upon entry.

A Pineapple ring toss for the kids, a Coconut husking demonstration.

Outrigger "fisher man's arrival" on the hotel's man made beach/lagoon.

Audience participation in the "Going to the Hukilau" hula.

A few pre dinner hula dances by a soloist.

Unveiling of the pig from the pit where it had been roasting all day.

Followed by two of the Hawaiian guys kind of parading it up to the stage for pictures. (the squemish lady on that other thread probably would have had to hid behind a table in the back to miss the pig)

Dinner had the following choices Mixed Green Salad, Lomi Lomi Salmon, Poi, Rice, Rolls, Chicken in a pineapple terriaki sauce, pulled pork, and fish in a coconum cream sauce. Several desserts were also offered including cakes and pies made with coconut, macademia nuts, and pineapple.

There was a cash bar from which we could purchase beer and wine and mixed drinks at $7.75 for a beer and $9.00 for a glass of wine. You could either walk up to the bar or have the waitress take care of the charge. I think my husband put the drinks on his credit card so you didn't actually need cash.

After dinner the started the Polynesian show. It included Tahaitian, Somoan, and Hawaiian dances. They mast of ceremonies was a nice looking Hawaiian man who sang in both Hawaiian and English. They Hawaiian songs included tradtional Hawaiian languages songs and early 1930's songs in English. They also had the most amazing Ukalele player I have ever seen. She's 19 years old and I saw her advertised as feature performer at other venues around town. She played "Misirlou" and a few other rock and roll surf classics. The show also included an 11 year old polynesian dancer and an 11 year old fire dancer. The show concluded with their Master fire dancer. All and all it was very fun, put possibly the only area the cold have improved in the show was the precision and synchroniztion of the dancers. Over all it was very enjoyable.

Probably not the best production on the islands, but over all very enjoyable.

Just my two cents too:

I was in Honolulu about 20 years ago and my cousin took me to Paradise Cove. I agree the location is absolutely beautiful, and I think it's nice getting away from the hotels and the congestion of Waikiki.

This trip, my husband and I are doing the Polynesian Cultural Center instead. I read on line that it is the most "authentic" luau. And I like the idea that so many of the Polynesian cultures are represented. If you want to see more than just Hawaii, that's good thing.

The PCC is also dry - no alcohol. So if you like to avoid drunk people acting stupid, that might be the place to go. But if you're hoping to get a little silly, one of the others may be a better option! ;-)

• 5 months later...

I have been researching alot of them as the friend i am travelling with wants to go to one. Shes been seeing them on tv over the years and wants to go to one since it is both our first ever Hawaii trip.

I have read many conflicting reviews on most of the ones mentioned here. Some are considered corny or only ok if you have kids, foods no good, weak drinks,etc.

I suggest doing alot of research to but then again i have and now i am even more confused

. . . I have read many conflicting reviews on most of the ones mentioned here. Some are considered corny or only ok if you have kids, foods no good, weak drinks,etc.

I suggest doing alot of research to but then again i have and now i am even more confused

LOL! I know, I have been researching too and get lots of conflicting info. We are in our mid 50s and will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary, so no kids!:rolleyes: We liked Germaine's but would like to do something different as we will not be returning to Honolulu again (next vists will be to other islands :p) Any and all info regarding luaus on Oahu will be appreciated!

Archived