Have You Left from San Juan???

lawtyger

We are leaving for a wonderful cruise on the Carnival Victory out of San Juan. The schedule has the ship leaving port at 10:00 p.m. All of our previous cruise have been 5:00 p.m. departures and we've typically gotten on the ship at 1:00 p.m. or so and started enjoying the ship.

But, being in San Juan for this cruise, we are not sure what time we should get on the ship. Has anyone done a similar departure from San Juan, and if so, could you answer the following questions:

(1) Approximately what time can you board the ship?

(2) Once you board the ship, can you get back off (i.e. it would be nice to get on the ship at say 5:00 or 6:00 but still be able to get off to enjoy a little San Juan nightlife without our suitcases or carry-ons)?

(3) Is there dinner in the dining room that first night?

Any suggestions on the best way to approach this late departure out of San Juan would be greatly appreciated.

Dont know about Carnival leaving San Juan. We left San Juan on Crown Princess at 11:00pm and you needed to be on the ship by 9:00pm. We boarded at 3:00pm and got back off the ship and did some shopping and drinking. Our muster was at around 8:00pm, which they adjusted assigned dining times for this. We had open dining, so we ate before muster. If you miss the early muster, they perform a make up one (can't remember what time though).

I am sure that Carnival is probably pretty close to the same. I liked leaving from San Juan. Sailing Victory in March 09, so I will get to see first hand like you.;)

I'm taking the same itinerary. Here's what my PVP told me:

boarding begins early in the afternoon. You can eat, etc. on board that afternoon.

You can get off the ship, there will be a separate entrance for passengers who already have their S&S, so you can explore the city for several hours.

There will be open seating dinner in the dining room at the early and late times.

Muster drill will be at 9:30, sailing at 10:00

We are leaving for a wonderful cruise on the Carnival Victory out of San Juan. The schedule has the ship leaving port at 10:00 p.m. All of our previous cruise have been 5:00 p.m. departures and we've typically gotten on the ship at 1:00 p.m. or so and started enjoying the ship.

But, being in San Juan for this cruise, we are not sure what time we should get on the ship. Has anyone done a similar departure from San Juan, and if so, could you answer the following questions:

(1) Approximately what time can you board the ship?

(2) Once you board the ship, can you get back off (i.e. it would be nice to get on the ship at say 5:00 or 6:00 but still be able to get off to enjoy a little San Juan nightlife without our suitcases or carry-ons)?

(3) Is there dinner in the dining room that first night?

Any suggestions on the best way to approach this late departure out of San Juan would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

We got there about 10:45 am and we were the first ones to get on line. we were quickly processed and then went to an area by the big duty free liquor store (don't use the one downstairs, go to the one upstairs after you register) No problem bring liquor on as long as it is in your carry on. Tip-bring an empty carry on to put liquor in as long as it is out of sight, they don't care. We boarded as soon as the ship was cleared from the prvious cruise. Yes you could go off and reboard if you wanted. Another tip, if you use the porters outside the gates, they brought you in through their entrance. Have passports and docs in hand, this lines goes fast when you enter through the gates before you even get to registration.

Hope this helps

Archived