Deal or no Deal

4bellablue

I am so confused.

I booked a Mini Suite on the Gem it's AG Deck 11 room 11634.

Total for 2 is $2500.00

When I check other sites the prices for the same type of mini in the AG area deck 11 the prices are about $2000. more.

So did I just find a good site and travel agent. When I first booked with her I booked just an inside and gave me a price of $1690.

So it seems to me that I guess I got a good deal I mean $800 more for a suite. Or was the price for the inside on the high side?

All this pricing and categories can make a person who does not know about cruising crazy:confused:

I am so confused.

I booked a Mini Suite on the Gem it's AG Deck 11 room 11634.

Total for 2 is $2500.00

When I check other sites the prices for the same type of mini in the AG area deck 11 the prices are about $2000. more.

So did I just find a good site and travel agent. When I first booked with her I booked just an inside and gave me a price of $1690.

So it seems to me that I guess I got a good deal I mean $800 more for a suite. Or was the price for the inside on the high side?

All this pricing and categories can make a person who does not know about cruising crazy:confused:

I don't have an answer for your situation...but generally:

Prices start on the inside cabins (cheapest).

Cheapest is lowest deck, either forward or aft. As you move toward mid-ship, prices (and categories) go up.

As you move up a deck, prices & categories go up.

Then you have the Oceanview...same premise...lower is cheaper...mid is more expensive.

So if there are 6 full passenger decks (4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11), all of which have insides & either oceanview or balcony....and all of which have aft, forward, mid, etc.... there are a lot of permutations.

Some dates are less expensive than others, for the exact same room. It's a revenue maximization practice used by hotels, airlines, car rental companies & cruiselines.

Sometimes if the ship isn't filling as quickly as they'd like, they'll drop the rates before the sailing. If it's proving more popular than expected, they may raise the rates.

Once final payment has locked-in, they have their FIRST real view of who is committed to the voyage, and then will often try to sell-off any remaining cabins ASAP.

That's why the day after final payment is due (75 days prior to sail), you sometimes see prices plummet...it's not that the cruise is unpopular...but they want to fill whatever is left over, quickly.

Hopefully that gives some sense of how & why prices differ.... don't forget also that TAs make commission (rumour has it in the 17% range)....which some TAs may choose to rebate-back to the customer....favoring smaller margins & higher volume.

I don't have an answer for your situation...but generally:

Prices start on the inside cabins (cheapest).

Cheapest is lowest deck, either forward or aft. As you move toward mid-ship, prices (and categories) go up.

As you move up a deck, prices & categories go up.

Then you have the Oceanview...same premise...lower is cheaper...mid is more expensive.

So if there are 6 full passenger decks (4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11), all of which have insides & either oceanview or balcony....and all of which have aft, forward, mid, etc.... there are a lot of permutations.

Some dates are less expensive than others, for the exact same room. It's a revenue maximization practice used by hotels, airlines, car rental companies & cruiselines.

Sometimes if the ship isn't filling as quickly as they'd like, they'll drop the rates before the sailing. If it's proving more popular than expected, they may raise the rates.

Once final payment has locked-in, they have their FIRST real view of who is committed to the voyage, and then will often try to sell-off any remaining cabins ASAP.

That's why the day after final payment is due (75 days prior to sail), you sometimes see prices plummet...it's not that the cruise is unpopular...but they want to fill whatever is left over, quickly.

Hopefully that gives some sense of how & why prices differ.... don't forget also that TAs make commission (rumour has it in the 17% range)....which some TAs may choose to rebate-back to the customer....favoring smaller margins & higher volume.

My TA did give me money back it was around $250.00 so I quess that pretty good. Thanks so much for you info.

Archived