Cemetery Beach - Cost of Taxi/Bus travel time

moogles

I am planning on visiting Cemetery beach in Oct with my family and we were wanting to go snorkeling at Cemetery Beach but were wondering about taxi costs or how often the buses run down 7 mile road. We are only in Port from 11:30 - 4:30 and don't want to get stuck in traffic. Can anyone give us some ideas for the time it takes to the beach via bus or taxi? Thanks!

We are going to Cemetery Beach on the 30th - only 2 weeks - wahoo!! We'll let you know.

If you do a search on here for cemetery it says it's about 2.50/pp for the bus and 6.00 for a taxi, as it's one of the furthest away from the pier. There is a bus stop across the street so you can pick up a bus to get back, taxis I guess you just have to be lucky enough to flag one going by???

It's all within 5.5 miles of each other (as 7 mile beach isn't really 7 miles long :D ), so I would not think it would take long to get there - maybe 10-15 mins but haven't really found anything that says for sure??

We do plan on taking a raft to help us swim back in, I've heard you have to go out a ways to get to the reef and it's work coming back in.

I would strongly suggest that you do the Seven Mile Beach portion of your outing in the morning and do not delay getting back into Georgetown well before your ship is to leave. There is basically only one road and the traffic can come to an absolute standstill.

I would strongly suggest that you do the Seven Mile Beach portion of your outing in the morning and do not delay getting back into Georgetown well before your ship is to leave. There is basically only one road and the traffic can come to an absolute standstill.
Thanks for the tid bit on traffic getting back to the ship. We were going to visit Cemetery Beach also but will now go to Public beach which is closer to town.:)

Good snorkeling can also be found at Smith's Cove. Be forewarned though it doesn't have a lot of amenities. It's more of a "locals" beach but it will be in the opposite direction of most cruise ship traffic and will definitely be less crowded than either Cemetary Beach or Public Beach. Just grab a taxi tell them you want to go to Smith's Cove and you can also probably pre-arrange a pick up time. smithcove.jpg

Any idea what time traffic gets bad? Our ship leaves at 4 so we planned on being back by 3. Wouldn't think their would be any rush hour traffic at 2:30 - 3:00?? But not sure... thanks for the advice.

hotmama, It will be a little busy when you are heading back because there are 4 ships in port that day and they are all scheduled to leave at 4 - but -by planning to be back by 3 you have put in a half hour cushion which I think is reasonable.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. We just got back from our cruise and I can report first hand on CB. We grabbed a cab at the pier ($6.00 per person) to CB. The taxi driver didn't want to go "all the way out there" for just two so she went in search of other people. After 10 mins of no luck she finally decided to take us. Which was good because we were about ready to get out and find another ride.

Anyways - all the way out there turned out to be about 10-12 mins!! She dropped us off at the cemetery and we walked down the path to the beach - our own private beach! There was NO ONE there. We walked down the beach a little until we were in front of some black rock and layed our stuff down.

Snorkeling was awesome! Saw a large black stingray and lots of fish. DH almost swam into a jellyfish, but that was the only one out there, I guess they are not common around there. Very easy to stay afloat in the salt water, we didn't even use our raft. We did have fins though and that really helped getting back into shore.

We only stayed about an hour and a half due to storm clouds rolling in. The entire time we were there only saw 2 other people that stayed down at the other end. We decided to head for some shelter in case the weather broke and we walked down to the Sea Grape. A good little walk, but easy. We even had a ton of stuff to carry and we were fine. Made it down there just in time for it to pour on us!

It cleared up after a little bit, we had lunch (very good, but about 8.50 for chicken fingers and fries) had some drinks then walked across the street to catch the bus, which we got lucky and there was one loading right then.

Bus back from SG was only $2.50 per person and we thought the "bus" which is really a van, was much nicer then the taxi. We didn't hit any traffic coming back, and there were 4 ships there that day. We had plenty of time to shop and catch a tender and still be back an hour before they told us to.

Just wish the weather had stayed nice. Would have like to stay at CB longer than we got to but c'est la vie!

PICT0008.jpg.f5faca2f4564736d3029805f5ad1da10.jpg

PICT0021.jpg.7318eb6b3c47738c89272fe3a9e9d215.jpg

PICT0014.jpg.d3a80e8efc0b34135dfb4782448fcb45.jpg

PICT0013.jpg.ba4cfedb8627bf8fca7dc3b619c9808d.jpg

PICT0007.jpg.dd4a8fe835070b5cc6af5ae3ee421384.jpg

Archived