Tipping Question

scejas

Both your post and the post following it (Dan40) are contradicting each other. You state,that the employeee wires the money and it has nothing to do with CCL, and he states they use their onboard CCL account and has it electronically transfered home.So who's wrong?:D

So you think CCL is giving them a check?They are then going ashore and paying a check cashing fee then going to a western union and paying a wiring fee?

Would it not be cheaper for them to take cash and then wire it?CCL now got into the payroll portion of the tipped crew instead of leaving the cash system which allowed them to do nothing and dedicate no staff to it.I wouldn't be surprised if the administration of this tip disbursement does not cost CCL a million dollars or more a year,and I doubt they are doing it for free.

As far as all those overlooked servers,who are you talking about?What other servers? You are not talking the lido people are you? If so,they are behind the scenes,just like in the dining room.I don't go back and tip those preparing the food and laying it out,just like they do in the lido.They lay it out.

Steve

Steve, I never said I knew how the employees were paid. I just know that Carnival wouldn't wire their TIP money only to their home. If they are wiring their wages than there is no additional cost. On the Lido deck you have servers who are clearing the tables, re-filling your drinks, etc.

My feeling is that most people who advocate so hard for cash tips or the people who skip the dining room so they don't have to tip. I've never heard one employee state that Carnival kept any of their tip money.

This is interesting but I do not believe it has any baring on housekeeping staff...

http://www.starboardcruise.com/ship-faq.htm

FAQsShipboard employment with Starboard Cruise Services can open a world of career and travel opportunities! Many of our employees enjoy multiple years on board with Starboard and our cruise line partners and have shared experiences unlike other conventional jobs. You may have the opportunity to see and visit exotic ports around the world that your friends at home can only dream about. What does it take? It involves strong work ethics and results-oriented actions, inspired enthusiasm, and at times, lengthy hours to uphold our customer service goals. The right candidate should be enthusiastic, flexible, open to new challenges and enjoy meeting people. Applicants should possess excellent customer service and creative selling skills. Selected candidates will be dedicated to an 6-month commitment on board a cruise ship and open their doors toward a wealth of possibilities! Is that you and are you ready?

Q : Who is Starboard Cruise Services, Inc. and what types of positions are offered on board?

Starboard Cruise Services, formerly known as Greyhound Leisure Services, is the world's largest and leading duty free retailer on board 80 cruise ships worldwide. We offer career opportunities that begin with Sales Associate positions. Associates who demonstrate excellent performance can later qualify and be considered for shop management opportunities.

Q : What is Starboard's affiliation with the cruise lines?

We are a concessionaire, which means we lease the shop space on board; staff the retail sales teams and supply the merchandise that is presented and sold.

Q : What qualifications are required to join the on board retail sales team?

For our Sales Associate position, we prefer 2 years retail sales and merchandising experience. Specialties in fine jewelry, cosmetics, watches and fine gifts are a definite plus. Applicants should also be energetic, customer service-oriented individuals!

Q : What types of official documentation will I be required to have in order to be employed on board?

• U.S. and Canadian citizens are required to have a valid passport for at least two years.
  • Citizens of other countries are also required to have a passport that is valid for at least two years and a C1/D Transit/Seaman's visa. Successful applicants are required to apply for the C1/D Transit/Seaman's visa at the American consulate in their home country with an employment letter provided by Starboard Cruise Services, Inc.

Q : Will I be allowed to choose the cruise line and ship of my choice?

Newly hired employees are assigned to open positions based on qualifications and the placement making good "business sense". World cruises as well as Special Itineraries are offered to our employees as an incentive for their previous successful contract(s).

Q : How long is the onboard employment contract?

The length of the employment contract is six months.

Q : Once employed, will I have to pay taxes while working on board?

Citizens of the United States as well as U.S. Alien Residents will be required by IRS regulations to have 15% taxes deducted from on board earnings. Employees who are citizens of all other countries are required to abide by the tax laws governed by the country of their passport.

Q : How will I be paid while on board?

Each on board employee's salary is paid semi-monthly (twice per month) while commissions are paid at the end of a cruise. All compensation is paid in cash (US dollars.)

Q : Do you provide room, board and uniforms?

Through our cruise line partners, we provide accommodations for our on board employees that are shared in crew quarters with at least one other person of the same sex. (Keep in mind, crew quarters are not as spacious as passenger quarters!) Meals and uniforms are also provided, with the exception of footwear. We support a dress code standard that may vary from cruise line to cruise line. These dress standards are also in reference to "off time' when employees access the passenger areas in addition to attending on board events such as "formal nights". These dress code expectations enable our employees to remain consistent with our cruise line partners' standards and presentation commitment to our passengers.

Q : How do I get to my first ship assignment?

Newly hired employees must pre-arrange a one-way ticket with Starboard to their first ship assignment. Upon embarkation, $500 is required to be deposited with the Shop Manager. Upon successful completion of the six-month contract, the $500 deposit will be reimbursed to the employee and Starboard will arrange the return flight home. The Company will use the $500 deposit to purchase a returning air ticket only in the event that an employee does not complete an 8-month contract.

Q : How many hours per week will I be required to work?

Depending on the ship's itinerary, employee work hours may vary between 40-70 hours per week. Each employee is expected to work while the ship is at sea as well as working during some port time hours.

Q : What are some of the policies, rules and regulations of the ship that I need to be aware of?

All crewmembers are expected to abide by the "Ship's Rules and Regulations" as well as those outlined in our employee contract. Each employee is expected to participate in weekly Safety and Lifeboat Drills. Failure to comply with the rules and regulations may be grounds for immediate termination. Because we uphold the standards of a safe and drug-free environment, there is also zero tolerance for the use or sale of drugs or narcotics. In some cases, random drug screenings may be facilitated by our cruise line partners.

I brought the question up because while speaking to one of my waiters they mentioned that their paycheck never changes ....

So I found it curious that no one has ever adjusted their tips up or down ...

OK, I can say I know for a fact - we have a waiter staying with us, he has shown me his paycheck. It changes, & yes, they really do get $70/month salary (actually 4 week period), broken down as $22.50 wages & $14.69 vacation pay every 2 weeks. They also get a list of anyone who removes tips.

What I find absolutely amazing is the number of folks who have admitted to having conversations with waiters about their tips and salary. This is so incredibly offensive. Just imagine how many times a week they must have this same conversation. Some people profess to respecting how hard these people work, but on some level they are being treated like second class citizens by the nature of these conversations.

Ok...I am aware of the tips ahead of time 10 per day per passenger. I still think this is too little and will like to pay more as I go if the service is great. How would I do this? Can someone explain how this will be our 1st cruise. I wouldn't like to give it directly to them.

pa5 I don't know why you wouldn't want to pay them in person, but you can go to the pursers desk and add gratuties to those you chose to increase.

If you chose to give them the additional in cash CCL will provide little envelopes you can use - I usually take a few thank you notes and thank them for what I deem to be extra service and include the cash in the note.

Hope that helps. Have fun on your cruise.

The cruiseline made it our business when they took it upon themselves to get into our business by instituting the autotip.

They claim the crew is better compensated by it,but if they are taking a cut or charging any fees,then the crew suffers. The argument that the crew does not get stiffed as much holds little water when the fact is they went through the effort and expense and continued expenses of administering it when the simple solution was to pay a fare wage and include it in the fare,by they insist on doing this tip dance.

What purpose does this tip dance serve for the betterment of the crew?

How can you believe that a real salary plus any tips is not better then this whole plain tip scheme?

Steve

Your business and my business is deciding IF we will tip and/or how much we will or will not tip. Same as buying ANY product, we decide if we are willing to pay the price or negotiate the price. But what is done with the money once we have decided to tip or buy, is no longer any of our business.

Had you lived and cruised through the end of the cash tipping era, you would realize that the auto-tips are a godsend to the workers. I did , I saw it happen more and more. The last nights dinner looking like the dining room was haunted. MORE than 50% NO SHOWS. And there was NO full buffet available for much of that time. A little coffee shop type grille that got next to no dinner business all week. I doubt all those missing people found that enticing the last night. The as real large selection buffets came to be, the dining room was full all week but again the buffet must have run a "super special" the last night. I don't understand why I never was privy to that special.

Those days, with FAR fewer cruise ships than we have today, showed the cruiselines that no only SHOULD something be done, but that something HAD to be done, as they were losing employees and no one was waiting in line to take their place.

Now with auto-tips, they have their pick of personnel and a waiting list. And regardless of your or my opinions about tips or anything. Jobs with waiting lists to be filled are jobs people WANT.

We already know the, "I want to remove the auto-tip, to tip in cash." is the basic cover story of the non-tipper.

I think,

the, "I want to remove the auto-tip because the employees get cheated." is just a more creative version of the, "To tip in cash." scam.

Dan

pa5 I don't know why you wouldn't want to pay them in person, but you can go to the pursers desk and add gratuties to those you chose to increase.

If you chose to give them the additional in cash CCL will provide little envelopes you can use - I usually take a few thank you notes and thank them for what I deem to be extra service and include the cash in the note.

Hope that helps. Have fun on your cruise.

Opps sorry typo...That is what happens when your working and checking out the site..LOL

I meant to say I would like to pay them in person. Ok so I can get envelopes and give them extra...That is great. Also I can give them cash on the spot if the service is good?:)

Your business and my business is deciding IF we will tip and/or how much we will or will not tip. Same as buying ANY product, we decide if we are willing to pay the price or negotiate the price. But what is done with the money once we have decided to tip or buy, is no longer any of our business.

Had you lived and cruised through the end of the cash tipping era, you would realize that the auto-tips are a godsend to the workers. I did , I saw it happen more and more. The last nights dinner looking like the dining room was haunted. MORE than 50% NO SHOWS. And there was NO full buffet available for much of that time. A little coffee shop type grille that got next to no dinner business all week. I doubt all those missing people found that enticing the last night. The as real large selection buffets came to be, the dining room was full all week but again the buffet must have run a "super special" the last night. I don't understand why I never was privy to that special.

Those days, with FAR fewer cruise ships than we have today, showed the cruiselines that no only SHOULD something be done, but that something HAD to be done, as they were losing employees and no one was waiting in line to take their place.

Now with auto-tips, they have their pick of personnel and a waiting list. And regardless of your or my opinions about tips or anything. Jobs with waiting lists to be filled are jobs people WANT.

We already know the, "I want to remove the auto-tip, to tip in cash." is the basic cover story of the non-tipper.

I think,

the, "I want to remove the auto-tip because the employees get cheated." is just a more creative version of the, "To tip in cash." scam.

Dan

Dan -

Well said, and I agree 100%.. Like you, I have lived through the days before auto-tipping, and clearly remember the sparsely attended dinners in the main dining rooms on the last night..

It was embarassing, even though we were always there with our freshly stuffed envelopes for the dining room staff..

First of all, everyone here is using the wrong term. It is not a tip, but rather a service charge. It became a service charge when the cruise lines decided to automatically add it to the on board accounts. A tip is at my discretion (and only once have I not tipped the expected amount and then it was like $2 less for the week, but generally higher than he minimum.) And if you think the cruise lines is collecting the money and distributing it without fee, my guess is you are wrong, but that's just my guess. Also the lido deck waiters are usually the same waiters you see in the dining room.

First of all, everyone here is using the wrong term. It is not a tip, but rather a service charge. It became a service charge when the cruise lines decided to automatically add it to the on board accounts. A tip is at my discretion (and only once have I not tipped the expected amount and then it was like $2 less for the week, but generally higher than he minimum.) And if you think the cruise lines is collecting the money and distributing it without fee, my guess is you are wrong, but that's just my guess. Also the lido deck waiters are usually the same waiters you see in the dining room.

Sorry, it is not a service charge. NCL has a service charge. Carnival has an auto-tip. NCL is supposedly non reversible, that IS a service charge. [Don't know what happens if the service is really bad, don't want to find out.]

Carnival's auto-tip is only a memo billing on my account. I do not pay it until the cruise ends, my cc company bills me and I release funds to pay them. Long, long, long after the cruise is over. During the cruise, from boarding on, I may go to the Purser, 24/7, and adjust the TIP, TO any amount up or down, and FOR any individual I decide has done an outstanding or substandard job. THAT is a tip as it is all up to me, not the cruiseline.

I could change it but I have never done so on any Carnival cruise. Never ever had a thought of poor service. And have tipped xtra in cash.

Those that pre-pay their tips? It is still NOT a service charge because it was their choice to pay in advance.

Not mandatory = not a service charge.

Dan

:D :eek: :D

Talk about your Freudian Slip! I had to edit this post. In my first line, I typed Carnival has an AUTO-RIP. Instead of an auto-tip.

Steveaaaa, that should make your day.

I cannot imagine reducing the tips to these hard workers. We always give extra cash at the end of the week in recognition of their outstanding service.

As has been mentioned here, your dining table waiters are also assigned to the Lido Deck. This past week on the Imagination we found our head waiter and his assistant working on the deck (cleaning the glass tops on buffet areas, wiping down stainless steel, refilling items, etc.) at midnight. When we conversed with our waiter he said he was on duty until 2 a.m. and that they rotate shifts once a month. The day we were in port at Nassau he said he was napping during the day to "recharge his batteries" so he was ready for his night shift.

Think how many nights they are probably dead-tired, yet they put on a smile and wait on you like you were their most important guest on board. Often times they entertain us as well. I don't view them as a charity case when I give them the extra money. In my view, they earned it!

Considering that if I was on a delux land vacation I would be tipping way more than $ 10.00 a day, I leave the auto tips. (which I prepay to keep my sail and sign less horrifying.). And I tip more starting with a pool about the size of the auto tip, in person cash last night of the cruise. And I tell everyone this is in addition to the auto tip. Envelopes I bring from home.

I tip the super club girls & guys cash approx a fine dining tip approx $ 20 -

30 a couple.

I also often leave $1.00 extra for bar service and get excellent service....

Tip good people or you may come back next life as a cruise ship waiter, not seeing your friends and family for six months at a time w/o one day off while working 12-14 hours a day...

Tom in Long Beach ( who mostly works 6 hours a day and gets to see his family at least once daily)

Talk about your Freudian Slip! I had to edit this post. In my first line, I typed Carnival has an AUTO-RIP. Instead of an auto-tip.

Steveaaaa, that should make your day.

That is funny.:)

But I don't think its a rip, I think they should be paid a real salary.

Yes I do remember the old sailing days,real early 80s and you are correct the dining room was empty by tip skippers.

Steve

That is funny.:)

But I don't think its a rip, I think they should be paid a real salary.

Yes I do remember the old sailing days,real early 80s and you are correct the dining room was empty by tip skippers.

Steve

Do you tip when you eat in a restaurant, stay in a hotel, take a limo or taxi? Wouldn't the same logic apply to those jobs?

Do you tip when you eat in a restaurant, stay in a hotel, take a limo or taxi? Wouldn't the same logic apply to those jobs?

No, its not the same logic and it does not apply here

You don't have a choice and neither do they.You must eat on ship and they must serve you day after day.

The restuarant does not auto tip a fixed amount,nor does the other jobs.

If they are auto-tipping $10,why not just include it as the fare.So they don't get stiffed.

Steve

You don't have a choice and neither do they.You must eat on ship and they must serve you day after day.

If they are auto-tipping $10,why not just include it as the fare.So they don't get stiffed.

Steve

Sure, plenty of restaurants add an automatic gratituty. In fact I've been burnt that way. Didn't realize the tip was automatic and added another 20%. The service was not exceptional enough to warrant a 38% tip.

Steve

Sorry but I have to disagree. Here in NYC returantants they add a 20% graduity to your bill.

Please list some major ones that everyone would know that are in everyday hometown America and that is their normal policy chain wide.:confused:

Thanks

Steve

The ones I know only do it if you have a large group.......

But you can also reduce it up or down or take it off if you want.........

Archived