Tipping Question

scejas

Sorry but I have to disagree. Here in NYC returantants they add a 20% graduity to your bill.

Yes they do.. Is 20% or 18% ..??

And the ones that dont list for everyone, list it as parties of 6 or more 18%... Not just chains but the better restaurants too.:)

Example Chez Josephine

Upscale restaurant owned by Josephine Bakers son

http://www.chezjosephine.com/dinner.html

Bottom of menu states 18% grat added to parties of 6 or more

Carrabbas- Italian Chain Restaurant

http://carrabbas.com/menu_textonly.asp

Same thing 18% Parties of 8 or more.. will be added...

Depends on what you call large. Just ate at Chicago Uno Grill. Me, Dh and our 4 grandchildren. Automatic tip and we do not classify ourselves as a large group.

Since we are talking ship, a single person is subject to an auto-tip onboard,so lets use a single person or a couple at the minimum.

Steve

I don't know of any land based restaurants that charge an automatic gratuity for other than large groups..

But that being said, and having managed a large restaurant in my college days; I know for a fact that good servers get stiffed regularly by cheap patrons, so I can understand a move toward automatic tipping, especially on cruise ships..

I don't know of any land based restaurants that charge an automatic gratuity for other than large groups..

But that being said, and having managed a large restaurant in my college days; I know for a fact that good servers get stiffed regularly by cheap patrons,

Wow I would be looking for another job;) or a different restaurant.........

But that being said, and having managed a large restaurant in my college days; I know for a fact that good servers get stiffed regularly by cheap patrons, so I can understand a move toward automatic tipping, especially on cruise ships..

I have.. but you are right.. the stiffs probably caused it..;)

My husband just reminded me that the only reason we noticed it is because we were leaving a tip on the table and the waiter told us it was included.. pretty presumptuos I thought...

In our experience we have never had auto tip at any restaurant with just the 2 of us............

We just had an auto-tip added to our tab for two, a couple of weeks ago at Del Frisco's, here in Dallas. I hate that policy, and normally do not tip additional, but our service was so spectacular, that I added more.

Wow I would be looking for another job;)

Most people would, but my point is that given the opportunity cheap people will take advantage of folks in the service industry by stiffing them on tips whenever they can.

This reality is exactly why the cruise industry has moved to auto-tipping, and why most cheap-skates don't like it.. ;)

Most people would, but my point is that given the opportunity cheap people will take advantage of folks in the service industry by stiffing them on tips whenever they can.

This reality is exactly why the cruise industry has moved to auto-tipping, and why most cheap-skates don't like it.. ;)

I tend to think they changed it on the cruise ships so it would be more convenient for the cruisers.........I also think the good out weighs the bad..........

The Eatery.

Lunch was $10 Each :)

Steve

Wow.. that's one I never heard of and I worked off 8th..near the PA

I remember when all there was on 9th were bread and cheese shops and Manganaros Hero Boy... lol

Was it good?

I tend to think they changed it on the cruise ships so it would be more convenient for the cruisers

That may be part of it, and I admit that I may be in the minority here (or call me nostalgic); but I actually enjoyed the ritual 'back in the day' of stuffing tip envelopes with real cash, and distributing them to the folks who took such good care of us during our cruise. It just seemed to add that personal touch to the whole process.

For us, it was never an inconvenience.. ;)

That may be part of it, and I admit that I may be in the minority here (or call me nostalgic); but I actually enjoyed the ritual 'back in the day' of stuffing tip envelopes with real cash, and distributing them to the folks who took such good care of us during our cruise. It just seemed to add that personal touch to the whole process.

For us, it was never an inconvenience.. ;)

I agree with you on this.. The envelopes made it so much more of a personal thank you

We go to the pursors desk and get envelopes and where appropriate we tip extra and write a nice short thank you (for putting up with us!)

:)

We already know the, "I want to remove the auto-tip, to tip in cash." is the basic cover story of the non-tipper.

I think,

the, "I want to remove the auto-tip because the employees get cheated." is just a more creative version of the, "To tip in cash." scam.

Dan

Couldn't agree more. The cheapo's are the ones who want to remove the auto tip. I hope KARMA comes back at them full force! :(

I cannot imagine reducing the tips to these hard workers. We always give extra cash at the end of the week in recognition of their outstanding service.

Yeppers! I include extra tips in the cost of the cruise.

EXACTLY!:(

My first cruise was in 2001 and I had not even touched a computer. My husband had just died and my college son made all the arrangements online through the cruiseline for the week prior to Christmas. My son did not research enough and I was shocked at the end of the cruse to find out I had to come up with cash that I did not have to tip the appropriate people. I scurried and worried but I did find creative ways to come up with cash so all of our crew got the well deserved tips. Now I'm a bit more savy and always leave auto tip in place but I bring an extra bunch of cash to tip those who smile and seem to appreciate I'm there. They so very much deserve it! (most of them)

Wow.. that's one I never heard of and I worked off 8th..near the PA

I remember when all there was on 9th were bread and cheese shops and Manganaros Hero Boy... lol

Was it good?

Yes the place it littered with wine and cheese shops,we have also eaten before at a Chinese place called Xing,I think and that is also on Ninth as well.

Considering the price,it was great.

Steve

Archived