Outdoor Swimming Pools on Alaskan Itineraries??

dawnanne

I'm going to do it... ask the dumb question I've been wondering about for ages. We are considering the Pearl next summer (August, probably late August) to Alaska... it looks like the pool and waterslides will be a hoot for all the kids in our group, but I am unsure of whether it will be warm enough to be enjoyed? Are the outdoor pools usually functioning on Alaskan cruises, and if not do they allow kids in the indoor ones?

Thanks for your insight!

I can only speak for the Star Princess, but all the pools were functioning and yes, kids were allowed in the covered pool. There were only two pools that were for adults only. I don't remember seeing too many people in the uncovered pools, especially on colder days. The covered pool and the spas were used extensively.

Sea condtitons permitting all pools will be functioning and there will be some days in the summer where temps can get up in the mid 70's so kids will enjoy the pools. However as the wind across the deck tends to cool things down you will find few adults enjoying the pools except in port.

We just got off the Pearl (8l/24-8/31st 2008). Our group of 6 kids used the pool every single day and sometimes 2 times per day. Even the day we left Seattle it was raining but we packed our suits in our carryon bag and enjoyed the pool. Even in Glacier Bay surrounded by ice/snow the pool was actually crowded. On one day I counted over 40 people in the kids pool. Yes the water was warm, yes the air was very very cold, yes it was sometimes windy. The worst was waiting in line for the waterslide (which doesn't go very fast).

There is no indoor pool or covered pool on the Pearl. The Spa is wonderful but I found it crowded and honestly I was bored there (guess with 3 young kids I just don't know how to relax!).

We just got back from the Serenade. During our voyage, the waterslides were actually closed for maintenance, so we didn't get to see whether the kids were using it or not.

As for the pools, the inside pool was often used and we sometimes spotted some brave kids outside in the uncovered pool.

We actually enjoyed the indoor pool and the hot tubs and were very glad that we brought our swimsuits along.

The Volendam has a covered pool with a retractable roof. At sail away we had a gorgeous day and they did open the roof. There was one other time I noticed that they were able to open it part way. The rest of the trip it was closed and many enjoyed the pool the whole time.

You said you just got off the Serenade. Was that RCCL's Serenade of the Seas? We cruised on the Serenade of the Seas this last January and was truly disappointed that the indoor pool was extremely cold. Only saw one lady in it the whole time. We usually look forward to the indoor pools wherever we are cruising but on that one we couldn't even go in the pool at all.

Yes, the Solarium pool (indoor, covered) is not actually heated, but we found that it was pleasant enough to swim in. We even took a couple of water aerobics classes there. The water was fine.

I never got into the outdoor pool (which apparently is heated), since the breezes at sea were more than I wanted to confront in a swim suit. In port, I never had enough time to check out the pool.

Our cruise was at the end of August/early September and we lucked out with a couple sunny days during our trip -- including our departure and arrival days into Vancouver.

Archived