best excursion (western) to see ruins

ufmurphys

We have just booked a cruise on the Explorer May 2005 (western Cozumel,Belize, Costa Maya, Grand Caymen). I would appreciate any advice on excursions to see any ruins. Our children ages 10 and 8 will be with us. Any advice on this trip in general would be welcomed. We have sailed only once with Disney. Thank you:)

When we were at Cozumel, we took the trip to Tulum. Tulum was really wonderful. We are very glad we chose to go there. It is a long trip though. First you have to ferry to the mainland, then a busride. There were plenty of kids, and they were fine. It just didn't leave much time for anything else.

I was recently on the explorer same itinerary. We did the ruins in Costa Maya it is only a 4 hour tour. 1 hour to get there, about 2 hours at the ruins and an hour to get back. That was plenty of time. We actually mentioned that the kids would have only lasted that long, if they came with us. It then gave us time to check out the port stores and entertainment.
In Cozumel, check out Chanakaab park. There is so much to do for everyone, dolphins, sea lions, beach, restaurant, snorkeling. I also believe that there are some walkways that show some ruins as well. We didn't adventure that far as we played with the dolphins.
I hope this helps

I agree with alexeliz that the shorter tour in Costa Maya is fine. I went with my 7yo son and it was just enough for him to take without complaining. You get to see enough to feel it was worthwhile and get a good idea of what it is all about.

FYI-a poster on here suggested to bring soome wet washclothes along and it was a great idea since it was so hot. Bring a ziploc bag big enough for a couple of washclothes from the bathroom, wet them with cold water and throw a few ice cubes in. When you are done with your tour, it felt so nice to washup a little and feel refreshed.

Archived