Worth staying in Long Beach?

tdev32

Hi,

I'm wondering about whether it's worth staying a couple nights in Long Beach before our cruise in early October. I've stayed in the South Beaches (Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo) but thought if Long Beach was of interest I might give it a go. Plus it's right next to the pier.

Any suggestions where to stay and what to do. We'll be getting in on Saturday and leaving on Monday for the cruise.

Any and all opinions welcome.

Thanks!

T

I am hoping someone will answer you.

We will be leaving for a cruise on March 1 but arriving on Feb. 25. We will be renting a car because we will definitely driving to visit the Reagan Library for a day. Other than that we have no plans. Having a rental car it may not matter where we stay. We are very undecided. We want to stay in a decent place but do not want to spend a lot of money before ever get on the ship. We are from the east coast and never been to LA, so are confused as to what to do.

Actually, for a 2-night pre-cruise, Long Beach is not bad at all...

There is a small group of hotels I would recommend: Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance, Hilton, Marriott Courtyard and Coast--all in the "Convention Center" area. Do NOT look for a bargain at some lesser hotel and do not be fooled by hotels "claiming" to be in the Convention Center area--Stray to far from these hotels and you may not be in the best area...

There are also many good restaurants near these hotels and a couple of nice retail projects...the "Pike" and Shoreline Village.

The Aquarium of the Pacific is a first rate aquarium and worth a visit. The Queen MAry may also be toured and is in the same area.

If you are not looking for a whirlwind tour of the entire LA area and you just want to relax for a couple of days before getting on the ship, want to eat out at a couple of nice places (I usually recommend Parker's Lighthouse in shoreline village for good seafood and great views), then Long Beach may be your place...'

forensic, are you aware that "Reagan Library" is somewhat of an oxymoron?

Anyway...to each his own...

Be aware that the Reagan "Library" is fairly distant from the cruise ports...

If you're spending four nights here and visiting the Reagan Library, then I would NOT recommend staying in Long Beach...You have the time to see a few sights here and Long Beach would mean you'd be spending many hours in the car every day...

I would consider staying in Santa Monica...Visit the Getty Center Museum (in the Sepulveda pass) and the Getty Villa (Malibu/Pacific Palisades)--Both far more worthwhile than the Reagan Library...Santa Monica also gives you the Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica Beach, Palisades Park and the Third Street Promenade and fairly close proximity to the Venice Beach Boardwalk, Rodeo Drive/Beverly Hills and other attractions...and not too bad a ride into Hollywood...

You're still driving a fair distance up to the Reagan Library in the far end of Simi Valley, but at least you're half way there...

Hi...

tdevel...I agree with Bruin Steve that Long Beach has a lot to offer. It's also a good base to take a drive along the coast to the beaches you haven't visited...the Coast Highway from Long Beach to Laguna Beach and back is a nice day trip with a lot to do along the way.

forensic...If you want to visit the Reagan library (got it Steve!), you might also want to know that there is a Richard Nixon library in Southern California....seems to me it's Whittier (city of his birth)...easy to Google. I've actually been there and, if you like presidential museums, it may be one of the better ones. I didn't agree with all of his politics, but the displays re: his China policies and of gifts received from heads of state are worth seeing.

Just a suggestion....

murphysmum;)

Nixon library is in Yorba Linda, so it is quite a ways from Long Beach.

We stayed at the Hilton in Long Beach and walked to the Aquarium. It's also a very short drive to the Queen Mary (which has an excellent brunch), Shoreline Village and the Pike are also very fun.

Hi...

Thanks for helping with the town name...Yorba Linda...couldn't think of it.

I live in Huntington Beach, so I know that it's quite a drive, but I thought that if they'd travel to Simi Valley for Reagan's library they might go out of the way for the Nixon library as well.

Whatever you all decide to do, I hope that you enjoy it!

murphysmum;)

I'll be in LB on the 20th and getting on the Vision on the 21st. We can't wait!!! Alot of good info. in this thread. We are coming out to L.A. for 3 days prior to leaving also. 1st two days were staying at a Courtyard by Marriot near Santa Monica and down in LB a Days Inn near the pier. Never been to the West Coast before.

I know one day we are going to Venice Beach.

Long Beach.. well its not that bad.. However, if you compare it to Hermosa, Redondo, Manhatten, its awful!!

Personally i would spend some more time at the beach cities you've already been to or drive out to Malibu.

I also agree with everything Bruin Steve says - hotels, restaurants and sites. Can't comment on the Reagan Library, we've been there, but didn't tour it - we went for the memorial after the former president died. It was very moving. Anyway, another place of interest you might want to visit is the Peterson Automobile Museum. It's in Los Angeles, near the Beverly Center. They have all sorts of really neat vintage, custom and famous cars and motorcycles on display. Well worth a visit if you like that sort of thing. I hope you have a great time here in So Cal!

...1st two days were staying at a Courtyard by Marriot near Santa Monica and down in LB a Days Inn near the pier....

Uh-oh...

First, we know there are NO Marriott courtyards in Santa Monica...So what do you mean by "near"?

There is one in Marina Del Rey--sort of--on Maxella across Lincoln Blvd. from the Marina...not the greatest location for tourists, but not terrible either...but, it's really not "near" Santa Monica...

There is one on Olympic, just West of Century Park West...again, not terrible, but not ideal either...

...and there is one in Culver City...Well actually on Bristol Pkwy, wedged between the Fox Hills Mall and the Hillside Cemetary...

None of these are in terrible areas, but they're not tourist-friendly either...I certainly hope you have a car and you are willing to drive to most everything you do...

As to a Days Inn in Long Beach, are we talking PCH between Alamitos and Cherry? WHY, OH, WHY doesn't anyone listen to me?...This is NOT the part of Long Beach you want to be in...Short list: Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance, Hilton, Marriott Courtyard, Coast...

Hello...

I agree with one thing that you said. There IS a lot of good information on these boards. But, you then noted your reservations at two hotels in terrible locations that are rarely or never suggested on this board.

That being said, why not read/listen to Bruin Steve's well informed suggestions about where to stay? I've noticed that he takes a lot of time on these boards to attempt to direct people to safe, comfortable hotels priced for various budgets....and also offers a wealth of information on activities in various areas.

As a California native, I can tell you that Bruin Steve knows what he's talking about. I can understand his frustration when he comments "...why don't people listen to me?" I have another question...Why not pay attention to him?

Sorry if I sound cranky, but I see a lot of good advice completely ignored on these boards and/or the same questions being asked over and over about the same hotels.

murphysmum;)

thanks again for the help and the continued posts. No one "tells it like it is" like a local and I'm appreciative for the tips and insight!! I always try to do the same for others when it comes to my hometown/area.

So it looks like I'll be at the Courtyard Marriott in Long Beach, best price/location combo I can find ... Thanks again for all the assistance and pointers! :)

btw, I'm looking at post-trip stays now ... I really liked staying in Redondo Beach last time, didn't care for Santa Monica that much (too crowded, too much traffic, parking was brutal). Venice was cool too see but again was really crowded and we just weren't in the mood for that type of scene ... plus, my girl and I like to do casual walks at night and heard Venice can be sketchy after dark --- some would say in the daytime also lol.

As for post-trip, the best deals I've found are for 4 star LAX hotels, great deals actually through discount travel sites ... I was thinking of getting a room at LAX then doing the short drive into the Manhatten, Hermosa, Redondo areas for days at the beach, riding bikes, etc ... also maybe do a touristy ride into Hollywood/Beverly Hills ... my only concern is the parking --- any tips/tricks to maximize parking bang for the buck? Or is parking a necessary evil of LA car culture ... any thoughts/opinions would be great.

Thanks again for all the help!!

We leave tomorrow on our cruise. We stayed the last 2 nights at the Courtyard by Marriot on Meriposa Blvd right near LAX. We had no problems with the area or the room other then it smelling a little like mold. Hot tub was good and the shower was also good. I would stay there again. Stay was friendly and answered questions when we asked.

We are currently at the Holiday Inn in San Pedro. I can sum up San Pedro by the word "arm pit" there is nothing to do here and not having a car doesn't help. We just got back from walking from the hotel to the Ports Of Call were we took a 45 min ride around the harbor and checked out the little shops. Nothing else to do around here. Stay here seems friendly and the rooms are clean just a bit out dated.

Any comments about the Crowne Plaza, San Pedro. The 'search' feature isn't working tonight so if I've missed a post about this place, my apologies. We are only intending on spending one night before the cruise. Priceline landed us at the Crowne Plaza and now that I've read that San Pedro is the 'armpit'......well yikes!

Ok maybe armpit was harsh but coming from L.A. the last 2 nights prior there is nothing to do here. I guess in those 2 nights we were used to having endless choices of what to do...now nothing. For 80.00 I would stay here again. staff is nice and its a clean place. No problems here..we leave in 2 hrs.

There is a resturant and club 111 here within the hotel but we didn't go down but could faintly here the music last night. We were on the 3rd floor. Mcdonalds and Buger King are close by.

• 1 month later...

Ok. Now I'm nervous about staying at the Best Western/Long Beach. I'm guessing it's in one of the less desirable areas. How is it unsafe? We will be 2 55+ women overnight on the way down and back.

(I hope I can find this thread again if there's a response

If anyone is retired or active duty military, the Ft MacArthur inn is an outstanding place to stay. It is in a very safe place and only a couple of miles from the cruise ship terminal. Below is the web site for lodging at Ft MacArthur which is for personnel stationed at Los Angeles AFB.

http://dodlodging.net/VT_LosAngeles.htm

Thank you for the excellent information. We are going on the vision in January and staying at the Renaisance.

Hello...

I agree with one thing that you said. There IS a lot of good information on these boards. But, you then noted your reservations at two hotels in terrible locations that are rarely or never suggested on this board.

That being said, why not read/listen to Bruin Steve's well informed suggestions about where to stay? I've noticed that he takes a lot of time on these boards to attempt to direct people to safe, comfortable hotels priced for various budgets....and also offers a wealth of information on activities in various areas.

As a California native, I can tell you that Bruin Steve knows what he's talking about. I can understand his frustration when he comments "...why don't people listen to me?" I have another question...Why not pay attention to him?

Sorry if I sound cranky, but I see a lot of good advice completely ignored on these boards and/or the same questions being asked over and over about the same hotels.

murphysmum;)

Archived