Question on noise/crowds and 1A cabins

Chelly

1) I have never sailed on Carnival and am planning to book Liberty's 2009 transatlantic cruise. I have heard about noise and crowds on the ship. Can anyone tell me how to escape them? Unfortunately a balconey is not in my budget.

2) Does anyone regularly book Category 1A? Is it comfortable? In bad locations?

Thank you

Noise and crowds have never been a problem on any of my cruises. And any noise and crowds are in the public spaces, not in the cabin hallways. You could get a loud talker passing your cabin on any ship in any type of cabin, but it WILL NOT be a constant. And a transatlantic cruise has an older, quieter demographic than a 3 day spring break cruise. Pick ANY cabin between two cabin decks and it will be quiet.

Dan

If you're solo cruising, you can get Cat 1A (only) cabins at 1.5X one-person rate. You can check the deckplans for the CAT 1A locations - many are actually well-located, mid-ship, and in a passageway of their own with less foot traffic. Some ARE near elevators and such and are probably best avoided. If you book a CAT 1A Guarantee you'll most likely get a 4A or better, but you could get a "bad" location and you're (generally) stuck with it. ken

So, I gather it would be advisable to book a specific cabin in Cat 1A rather than a Guaranteed 1A since with a guarantee one would not know the cabin location until it is assigned. Is this correct?

YES! and YES!

In 50 cruises, many with guaranteed cabins, I've never had a BAD cabin. But I do NOT worry about motion or noise or ANYTHING on a cruise. If I had specific worries like you do, I would carefully select my exact cabin. I did do that the first few cruises before realizing it was overkill.

Dan

The only inside cabin I ever had backed up to an elevator.....NO elevator noise whatsoever, not even one little 'ping'. Sometimes the folks coming out of the elevator talked loud, but just for a second...no biggie.

I'm with Dan40 on this one.

I would argue that no room is 'bad' - but some are better. Based on the amount of time I spend in my room (very little) I don't need anything fancy at all- however- if you plan on spending more time in the room, or are extremely sensitive to noise, it might be wise to choose your own.

However, the reality is- all rooms are pretty quiet- even if you get unlucky to be under the disco or something- and you're never far from an elevator.

So even the worst cabin is just fine.

Okey dokey, cat 1a gty it is! And I WILL stop obsessing about noise...LOL!

I do recall years ago being upgradeed from an inside to outside cabin. So, I guess that's fun to hope for. Never had a balconey though due to cost and the fact I never spent much awake time in the cabin.

Archived