Food

ging466

Would love to hear from all you regulars reminiscing about your most unforgettable meal when cruising with SS?

Describe your absolute best appetiser, entree, dessert and even cocktail.

As a first time SS cruiser this December, is there anything I should look for - besides the zero ice cream?:)

Look forward to reading your stories.

Cheers

Ging466

What I recall most are the wonderful conversations with new friends from around the world--but not any specific meals. With such good service and elegant ambiance--the experience just becomes a wonderful evening of laughter and luxury.

Perhaps if I had one less well made martini--I might remember more of what I ate!

I have a funny one. While on the Wind some years ago...I had not enjoyed any of the food..other than the pizza at lunch. One night we were served escargot..and it was a delight. I was eating slowly..savoring it..when in conversation..my plate was whisked away half finished. I was so startled..and my husband highly amused. The next day I asked the Asst. M.d if he could see that I was served the escargot again. He shniffed...madam..it takes 24 hours to order..and turned his back on me and walked away.:eek: We had serveral days left..and time was not an issue. I was dumfounded, as we are Seabourn psgrs. for the most part..and this would never happen. They would have said..of course, would you like to have it daily? The last trip on the Shadow was much better, and we are going on the Shadow in November..looking forward to it. Lola:D

I like going to the dining room at lunchtime, rather than the poolside grill or La Terrazza buffet--just a matter of preference; I like sitting and being served at a table with white linen--to me that is part of the vacation. Last year in the Seychelles I was on the beach and had been snorkeling and I was watching the time because I'd seen that roast duck à l’orange was on the lunch menu. I love roast duck à l'orange! So I wanted to get back to the ship while lunch was still being served in the dining room. It felt kind of silly leaving that drop-dead gorgeous beach just to go feed my face, when I was really more greedy than hungry. But I went back to the Silver Cloud and got dressed and went to the dining room. A waiter was leading me to a table when another waiter came up and said that friends (across the room) had seen me and invited me to join them at their table. So I did, and after I ordered, the headwaiter pulled up the carving trolley right next to our table and carved me some roast duck and poured some orange sauce over it. Conversation with new friends and roast duck at lunchtime followed by coffee and pistachio mousse. Life doesn't get much better than that.

Geez Ging466, on the Melbourne-Devenport ferry in 1973 you'd scarce've have had time to fit in a pie and sauce and 2 beers.

But this time (and, I assume, it's Sydney to Auckland, 15 days on the Whisper) you're in for a treat.

It's worth going on-board this boat for the food alone (if my experience in June serves) and I will be on this Christmas/New Years voyage to get some more of the same: and this time with the you-beaut Oz/NZ meat/veggies which will undoubtedly go on in Sydney.

As for favourite cocktails: every "Drink of the Day" has only one problem: over-consumption. They're just scrumptious.

You'll love it.

Geez Ging466, on the Melbourne-Devenport ferry in 1973 you'd scarce've have had time to fit in a pie and sauce and 2 beers.

But this time (and, I assume, it's Sydney to Auckland, 15 days on the Whisper) you're in for a treat. You'll love it.

Hi Alipius

I'm on the Singapore-Sydney leg - 16 days - can't wait. I'll be getting off when you are getting on!

If I remember correctly, there was no time for eating on that ferry, it was all drinking!!:D

Cheers

Ging466

Greetings again Ging466:

So you can see what you're going to be getting, if you'd like me to send you a scan of a couple of menus (you get them each morning, and my June ones were for the Med, but you'd get the general idea) along with the brief bios of the officers etc. (and again, the crew may have changed since June), and a scan of an on-board newspaper listing the daily doings (and which I've always found to be good stuff and the style of this is always the same), just send me an sms with an e-mail address in it to 0404245871.

Cheers,

I like the goose liver and fois gras, but that is not everyone's cup of tea. We are not buffet people and don't like the bbq, but others love it. We liked the grand gala brunch on our May, 08 cruise, though, and it was quite good.

I tend to customize my food, and SS has always let us change sauces or mix and match things that didn't always come together or do an appetizer as a main course. Sometimes the appetizers are so creative that I prefer that to some of the more traditional entrees (which are good, too).

Room service is good sometimes when you come back late from an excursion or just want to stay in for a DVD or something if you got worn out from something. Those pizzas are good, and they have many other good things.

Archived