Anyone done St. Martin 'French Connection See & Sea'?

RDMOREU

French Connection See & Sea

Price Adult $54; Child $34

Duration Approximately 3 1/2 hours

Description Drive to the village of Grand Case to board the Seaworld Explorer semi-submarine for a narrated tour of the coral reefs around Creole Rock. The vessel does not submerge-you descend into the hull of the boat and sit in air-conditioned comfort five feet below the surface of the water. Continue to the French capital of Marigot to explore this attractive port city with its sidewalk cafes, open-air market and duty free shops. 400-1000 ISO is recommended for photography aboard the sub (no flash).

Were you able to see and photograph a variety of fish?

How did your photos turn out? I'll be bringing a digital disposable and DH will bring his digital.

How long are you in Marigot?

Do they insist on taking you back to the ship or will they drop you on front St.?

Thanks for any help and information!

Dolores

Sorry, I can't help with this excursion but I can comment on Marigot.

I have been to Marigot. It was ok to see once, but I won't bother going back. If you want to shop, the Dutch side is much better.

“French Connection Sea & See” is a bus transit around the island interrupted by a shopping stop in Marigot and tour of coral reefs at Grand Case’s Creole rock. Creole Rock is purported to be the best snorkeling area around the island. I saw enough while on the glass bottom boat to suggest that snorkeling would be very marginal here. The bottom is mainly rocks with some coral and common fish such as Sergeant Majors and Wrasses. Lots of huge Uni, however, made my wife’s taste buds tingle. This was aboard the “Seaworld Explorer’, an underwater moving observatory. The tour was a good overview of the island, but the guide went around the island bassackward, stopping in Marigot first. Most of the stores in Marigot follow the French tradition of closing between one and two o’clock which is when we were there, resulting in a wasted forty-minute stop. That was too bad because there are some nice shops in Marigot. The bus did do a town drop upon return. I didn't attempt any photos, but shooting through windows seldom gives a good result.

We did this in April 2004.

The semi-sub was very uncomfortable to DH - he is not normally claustrophobic. The views of the reef and fish were underwhelming.

A good snorkel trip or even glass-bottom boat in the right area would be a better bet IMHO.

The tour of the Island was OK - but we are sorry we didn;t do the Butterfly farm - will do that April 2005.

We did this shorex also. Enjoyed the bus tour and shopping, but I skipped going down into the hull of the Explorer and DH wishes he had skipped it. Claustrophobia is the least of it down in the hull. I and a couple of others stayed topside and it wasn't long before others were racing up the steps to make it to the side of the boat in time. :eek:

Archived