How do you get your car seat on the ship?

Ashelleigh

We're taking a Britax Marathon and wondering the easiest way to get it on the ship. Did you carry it on with you or check it with your other luggage? Also, have you had any issues with your car seats being damaged?

If you've bought a travel bag for your car seat, I'm interested in knowing where to find a good durable one.

I realize we could purchase the Eddie Bauer Portable car seat. We'll be in a private car a lot of the day in Grand Cayman so I'd prefer to take my Britax.

Any advice you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks!

I always leave the carseat with the rest of my large luggage; I've never carried it onto the ship (I do carry it on and use it on the plane). The only way I would even consider doing so is if I board late enough that I can go straight to my cabin. Most times, we are onboard before the cabins are ready -- and that is not a bag you want to lug around the ship with you.

I've never had any damage to the seat. This is my carry bag.

http://www.target.com/Ultimate-Black-Car-Seat-Travel/dp/B0009RNXNA/sr=1-1/qid=1221660865/ref=sr_1_1/601-0408702-6308961?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Acar%20seat%20bag&page=1

I like it because it is made from extremely sturdy material with heavy duty zippers and because it is absolutely huge and it is a back pack, so you can carry it hands free. The bag is pricey for a carseat bag, but mine has been on at least 10 flights (incl. 3 cruises) and it is still in perfect condition.

We always fly in a day ahead and stock up on diapers, wipes, etc in the departure port city -- all of those things, along with our pj's and clothes from the hotel stay can comfortably fit into the bag along with the Marathon.

We've also been known to pull the carseat out at the check in counter of the airline and toss some of our clothes, etc into the bag when one of our other bags is overweight. It's very, very handy.

I always leave the carseat with the rest of my large luggage; I've never carried it onto the ship (I do carry it on and use it on the plane). The only way I would even consider doing so is if I board late enough that I can go straight to my cabin. Most times, we are onboard before the cabins are ready -- and that is not a bag you want to lug around the ship with you.

I've never had any damage to the seat. This is my carry bag.

http://www.target.com/Ultimate-Black-Car-Seat-Travel/dp/B0009RNXNA/sr=1-1/qid=1221660865/ref=sr_1_1/601-0408702-6308961?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Acar%20seat%20bag&page=1

I like it because it is made from extremely sturdy material with heavy duty zippers and because it is absolutely huge and it is a back pack, so you can carry it hands free. The bag is pricey for a carseat bag, but mine has been on at least 10 flights (incl. 3 cruises) and it is still in perfect condition.

We always fly in a day ahead and stock up on diapers, wipes, etc in the departure port city -- all of those things, along with our pj's and clothes from the hotel stay can comfortably fit into the bag along with the Marathon.

We've also been known to pull the carseat out at the check in counter of the airline and toss some of our clothes, etc into the bag when one of our other bags is overweight. It's very, very handy.

Thanks for the referral!

Nowadays, with baggage costs being extra, we are looking for ways to travel on short trips, taking only carry on's with us but still being able to pack extra (like toys/books/ baby's clothes), without having to incur extra bag fees.

We have also had our briitax damaged by an airlines. Thankfully, Britax warranted the repair. But we ahve been looking for something to transport the car seat in (other than plastic garbage bags)!

We checked ours on our recent cruise, with no travel bag. It worked out fine. Remember, car seats are designed to take a beating. Just make sure no straps are dangling loose.

I do highly recommend the Go Go Babyz Travelmate car seat attachment. It turns your car seat into a stroller. It will make it very easy to take both your child and the car seat off the ship when heading for the rental car, taxi, or whatever. You can strap the seat into the car/plane/whatever seat with the Travelmate in place.

I wouldn't waste money on a travel bag because, unless it is a hard shell case (and I don't think Target one is), it won't "protect" the car seat in any meaningful way. With car seats, it doesn't matter if they are scratched or torn, but their ability to protect your child is affected by impacts. Thus, unless the case can protect the seat if and when it is thrown or crushed, it will do absolutely no good beyond providing some aesthetic benefits. We always just checked tossed our in a regular garbage or big plastic bag, and never had a problem.

We use the exact same travel bag posted -- it's great. We have gate checked and also sent our carseat with the baggage porters numerous times without a scratch. In addition, it also makes the seat easier to carry. I think it is definately a worthwhile investment.

We fly several times a year and I could never lug my Marathon though the airport, just too big and heavy! We ended up buying a smaller, lighter seat for travel that got very good safety reviews, the Cosco Scenera (kids up to 40 lbs, WalMart for under $50). It is not as padded as the marathon, but DD has never complained! The best thing is that when I come home from vacation I don't have to re-install my Marathon. The Scenera is light enough that I put a bungee around the base and hang it off the stroller handles when we go through the airport.

We fly several times a year and I could never lug my Marathon though the airport, just too big and heavy! We ended up buying a smaller, lighter seat for travel that got very good safety reviews, the Cosco Scenera (kids up to 40 lbs, WalMart for under $50). It is not as padded as the marathon, but DD has never complained! The best thing is that when I come home from vacation I don't have to re-install my Marathon. The Scenera is light enough that I put a bungee around the base and hang it off the stroller handles when we go through the airport.

The Costco Scenera is great -- a lot lighter -- and if the OP needs a second seat then she should go for it.

However, we travel a lot -- fly at least 4 to 6 times a year -- and we have never had any problems taking/lugging the Britax. We have both a decathalon (basically the same as the marathon) and a Blvd. We use the macclaren to push it around the airport and the handles on the carrying bag make it our easiest piece of luggage. :)

On many carseats we have had over the years the fabric cover was easily removable for washing. I would suggest removing it and packing it in your luggage ~ to avoid any staining or tearing of the material during transit.

Hope this helps!:)

Where did you find the safety ratings of the Scenara? It looks like the sell it at our local target store.

I am a regular on a car safety tips board (BBC) and the Scenera 5pt is often recommended there as an inexpensive, basic (no frills) seat. It is safe when used according to mfgr directions - it passes all the same testing that any other seat on the market has to pass. It is inexpensive because it doesn't have built in lockoffs, alligator style latch clips, or velcro to hold the harness back when you're putting your dc in it like Britax seats do:p . The Scenera r/f's to 35lbs, f/f's to 40lbs, and usually requires a chunk of pool noodle or tightly rolled towel when installng it rear facing. It also does NOT have EPS/EPP foam, something that is a nice added feature that many newer car seats now do have. If EPP/S foam is an important feature to you, and you need a good back up seat anyway that you can also travel with, then you might look at the Safety 1st Avenue or Uptown (the Ave. replaced the Uptown so if you find an Uptown it may be a slightly older date of mfgr fyi). It's not quite as cheap as a Scenera, but it's a little bit nicer IMO, and the top slots are about an inch taller (16" vs 15" on the Scenera) so it will also last a little longer height wise. It is also on the lighter weight side.

I have owned a Touriva (precursor to the Scenera but basically the same seat) and a Britax Blvd. I think the Britax seats are heavier because of the metal latch bars on the sides, and the extra "stuff" they have on them, plus the plastic seems more heavy duty to me as well. Many people who are used to their Britax seats say the Scenera seems "flimsy" but I assure you it's safe. Remember it's only rated to 40lbs, so it doesn't have to be as sturdy as a Britax that is rated to 65lbs...make sense?

Anyway, just some food for thought. And I have to disagree with a pp that said 'car seats are made to take a beating' or something along those lines. Car seats are intended to protect children in accidents. You don't want it "taking a beating" in the baggage hold or being tossed around because if it's damaged that way, it might not do what it's intended to do in an accident. Not to say that anything bad would happen, but it's a risk you'd be taking by not keeping the seat with you at all times. I have checked ds car seat with the airline on ONE trip and nothing bad happened to it, but I did it knowing full well it could be damaged and I (probably) would have no recourse if that happened. We usually took the seat on board the plane with us, but on that particular trip the pros for checking it outweighed the cons (long story short)... Anyway, just some food for thought.

hth!

Archived