What happened on the Norwegian Dawn

Zebby90210

Ships don't come back in to pick people up these days. You're responsible to get to the next port of call which in this case is Newport only an hour away. Maybe medical though it turned in a direction we've never seen a ship go in and it was moving slower than any ship we've watched go in or out of the Harbor.

Ships don't come back in to pick people up these days. You're responsible to get to the next port of call which in this case is Newport only an hour away. Maybe medical though it turned in a direction we've never seen a ship go in and it was moving slower than any ship we've watched go in or out of the Harbor.

If you are on a NCL shore ex and they leave you for some mistake they will come and get you. Its one of the securities about doing NCL's shore excursions.

If you're on an NCL excursion and there's an issue the ship won't leave until the excursion is back. Talk about an effort to go 2 miles out and come back!

We never take the ship's excursions anymore. Way too expensive, too many people on the bus, etc. Local excursions are a much better, less expensive, more extensive, fewer people, more experienced way to go. Just don't pick one that get back 15 minutes before the ship leaves.

I must tell you that it isn't such an effort as you think. With Azipods its relatively easy. We were on the dawn in Nassau and were leaving around 1. we got back at 12:30 and were eating in the main dining room when the ship sailed on time. It was interesting watching the ship leave the dock and the dock getting smaller until all of a sudden the dock stared getting bugger again we went back for two people(not on any excursion) who had been left behind and were frantically waiving.....It didn't take that long and we were back into NY on time....and they were very lucky the Captain went back...

If you are on a NCL shore ex and they leave you for some mistake they will come and get you. Its one of the securities about doing NCL's shore excursions.

Oh yeah? I was on an NCL shore excursion on Cozumel, and the shore excursion director (not sure of the exact title) was actually with us. We went to Mayan ruins, and then to some fantastic beach, with live Mexican music and dancers.

We were told we were leaving at 4:30.

We jet skied, and some other stuff, and made our way back by 4:15.

THE TOUR WAS GONE!

We had to make our way back to the ship with the workers and the chickens.

Not even an apology, BTW.

Going 2 miles and turning around with Azipods I'm sure isn't an effort. It's getting a pilot boat back and what happens at the dock when all the workers leave and the ship comes back in....that's the effort!

To "criuisngram" if there's a problem with the ship you may care if she dies in the water during your cruise. I read a few threads about issues on the Dawn and passengers having to go home as the ship needed repairs. It's not an old ship either.

Must have been an odd trip for the Dawn. We just got back from a 6 day on the Spirit, and the Dawn was scheduled to leave NYC at he same time as us, which she did, arrive in Halifax with us, which she did, and arrive in in St. John with us, which she didn't. Might have been a schedule change that I wouldn't know about, I'm just going off the published itineraries. Could have been too many ships in St. John on the same day, I'm not sure how many they can take, but what a great port!

Going 2 miles and turning around with Azipods I'm sure isn't an effort. It's getting a pilot boat back and what happens at the dock when all the workers leave and the ship comes back in....that's the effort!

To "criuisngram" if there's a problem with the ship you may care if she dies in the water during your cruise. I read a few threads about issues on the Dawn and passengers having to go home as the ship needed repairs. It's not an old ship either.

the pilot was probably still on board. they normally stay on for quite a distance(at least a few miles)....

The Dawn must really be having issues! The pilot still on board miles out to sea, late leaving Newport and the internet down or the pilot not allowing anybody to log on to say what happened! Maybe we'll hear when all the passengers get off in Miami tomorrow! :)

The Dawn must really be having issues! The pilot still on board miles out to sea, late leaving Newport and the internet down or the pilot not allowing anybody to log on to say what happened! Maybe we'll hear when all the passengers get off in Miami tomorrow! :)

I'm sure it was nothing BUT the Dawn better be in NYC in 12 hours when I get on her and not Miami!!:D

I'm sure it was nothing BUT the Dawn better be in NYC in 12 hours when I get on her and not Miami!!:D

James, I hope it is where it supposed to be for you too! Have a great cruise!!

If anyone has any idea of why there would/could be a problem, I was say it would be you! Been there, done that, right???

James, I hope it is where it supposed to be for you too! Have a great cruise!!

If anyone has any idea of why there would/could be a problem, I was say it would be you! Been there, done that, right???

A million small things can happen that would cause a return to port..

Medical

Passengers left on shore

crew left on shore

some supplies needed

etc etc etc

Also with the Dawns current itin it has plenty of time to make it from one port to another. This stuff happens once a week, all part of the norm!

Does the Dawn REALLY turn around once a week? PPP! It's that poor planning thing!

DUH! When we were on the Pride of Aloha we had three different medical emergencies. One time the ship returned to the port we had just left, another time the ship stopped in Honolulu and then we continued and the third the person was the first person off on the tender with an ambulance waiting. I'm pretty sure none of them were planned!

Oh yeah? I was on an NCL shore excursion on Cozumel, and the shore excursion director (not sure of the exact title) was actually with us. We went to Mayan ruins, and then to some fantastic beach, with live Mexican music and dancers.

We were told we were leaving at 4:30.

We jet skied, and some other stuff, and made our way back by 4:15.

THE TOUR WAS GONE!

We had to make our way back to the ship with the workers and the chickens.

Not even an apology, BTW.

That's when you raise a stink, file a formal complaint and don't take "no" for an answer. If you don't get satisfaction from the tour office, go up the ladder to the Hotel Director, or, if you must, to the Captain.

Mistakes happen, but not addressing them is unacceptable.

We have been on cruises where the unexpected happened. On the QE2, coming out of Miami, the ship stopped while the Pilot's boat went back to the shore to pick up a singer who had missed the departure. We watched them get her on the P-B, and carry her over to the Queen.

And, on the Caronia, near Bodrum, we woke to find the ship at a steep angle to the right. We were doing a power turn to pick up some Kurds trying to get to Greece whose boat sank and were in the water. We picked up 2, the Turkish Coast Guard picked up 8, and tragically, a number of others with them drowned.

Archived