Galveston & South Houston Hotels ~ whats up

ZydeDiverDC

Hello everyone, my question is this.:confused: we are cruising from this port in November and I have to travel to TX for end of Oct. I don't see any threads anywhere listing which hotels are still up and usable. I wonder how to handle this situation. I have to fly down there. I have the cruise that's paid for but now.. no hotel.

please help..

I have a room booked at the LaQuinta Inn in LaPorte, TX according to mapquest it's about 6 miles from the port. I booked online then called to make sure they were open. The lady I spoke to said they would be opened October 1.

Hope that helps

Sharon

as to the hotels .. I have called several of them. they all have been instructed to say. Open by Oct 1st. finally I got one to openly admit that instruction & tell me that they are so overwhelmed by what is needed and what will actually be able to be accomplished.. in that time period. They need the dollars . so alot is said to keep the "tourists" coming back. I feel for what is happening to them but I can't afford expensive hotel rooms for mud soaked mildew mold encrusted broken elevators, no staff, no customer service, rugs destroyed.. room.

and at this point, unfortuneatly that is what is generally available. Thank you for that update tho. I will keep hope and maybe that region will get the help it so justly deserves .. and in the time it needs it>...

If you booked hotels in communities along Galveston Bay, La Porte, Kemah, SeaBrook, Texas City etc. I would call in advance and get the information from that Hotel.

The bay communities suffered extensive damage from wind and tide surge and it may be that your hotel may or may not be ready in time.

Try the motels here in Deer Park. We are only about a 15 min drive to Bayport. All our motels are up and running all ready and even though they are booked now, most are saying they will have availability by Oct.1 We have the following:

Best Western

Hampton Inn

Holiday Inn Express

Comfort Inn?

LaQuinta (still under construction and was slated to open this month but opened early for an emergency response team from out of town)

Many motels in the Clear Lake area - and there are a lot of them representing most national chains - are now open or will certainly be open within a week or so. This area is +/-30 minutes south of Hobby Airport, +/-30 minutes north of Galveston (if and when they will let "tourists" back on the island) and +/-15 minutes west of the Port of Houston Bayport Cruise Terminal. There was hurricane damage in this area but most of the inland areas away from Galveston Bay and Clear Lake had little major damage. Our roads are open, our large mall (Baybrook Mall) has re-opened, grocery stores are opening, and most of us have power. Give us another week and we'll be ready for visitors - and we're convenient to both ports in case your cruise line changes the one they will be using for your cruise.

P.S. Lodging in this area would typically have addresses on Bay Area Blvd. or Texas Avenue (in Webster, Texas)

We booked at the Hilton Nasa 6 months ago or so we wanted to stay about 30 mins outside of Galveston. Well since all this came up and changing ports, I looked up and the Hilton is only 4 miles from the new port. The hotel did have damage and was closed, but now on their site it is back open and accepting reservations. We sail in November also.

Hello, wow was I glad I posted on CC!! Thank you so much for all the responses. I always get amazed at the information here when it just can't be found anywhere else!!

dear ClearLake & DannyMac: As to the Hilton Nasa, I called that one, their elevators are not working, they have water damage but they hope to have things improved by Oct 1st. You can secure a room on line but if you call they are not taking any reservations due to the damage. We had reservations there but they told us to call back to see if they will be able to honor them.

I called several Holiday Inns and Comfort Inns, same thing basically, these hotels were just overwhelmed by the hurricane and then the aftermath of dealling with the clean up etc. You were right, some are not even up for reservations and will switch you to the toll free corp number without you even knowing it AND.. the corp people, so far all that I have spoken to< haven't a clue .. one cust serv rep asked me "what hurricane" ?? I was like, You're kidding right?...

Karen, will take your advise and try your area next.

With every call I make, I really feel for those "worker bees" who live there. I just can't imagine all that they are trying to accomplish in a day. I have been thru 2 fires and a flood. I was overwhelmed each time. Its a toughy, really.

Thank you guys, just having a place where I can ask the questions, even if there wasn't any particular answers, is comforting and helpful! Thank you again.

Archived