Review of Summit Med cruise - it may get long

Ardy53

I am the 'other' Cathy from the 11/1 cruise (and also late from Central California) and I enjoyed your adventures in a vicarious fashion! I totallly agree that wandering about and soaking up the local flavor is much preferable to sitting in a huge bus with 50 fellow tourists having things pointed out through the windows! We will remember your trip when we get to each of the places mentioned--only in reverse!

We appreciate ALL the time and effort you put into the telling!

Cathy, also Chatty, from Idaho

Hi Cathy

So glad we both had the opportunity to read Roy's wonderful review, and have the same thoughts about taking time to really "experience" the great places we are going to visit, maybe we will even have the chance to meet and enjoy having a glass of wine at one of the great spots that Roy talked about in his review...(see what you have started Roy :) ). Looking forward to November, a great adventure..and to CARPE DIEM...

Warm Regards,

The other Chatty C.

Ardy,

Thanks for the informative review.

I too experienced wine service that was a bit slower than I would have expected on the Mercury in 2003. On subsequent cruises I have found that if I simply tell the Asst. Maitre'de upon embarkation that we will be ordering wine with dinner every night, that the Sommelier service has been excellent.

I do want to also point out one of the most common uses for he Riesling grape is German style wines. These wines can be semi sweet, sweet, or dessert wines. Dry Riesling is more of an exception than the rule. In general, I would be surprised to see this as recommended substitution for a dry wine, unless it is the dry style with no "suesse reserve" (sorry I can't spell foreign languages." added back in.

Great review Ardy and Val. Didn't see much of you on board as I kept losing everyone. The Sailaway!! the CC Party managed that. The 2nd get together came in at the last minute on that.

What a surprise that first night when you spoke to me remembering me from the pictures sent to your web site.

On this cruise I was with my friend June who would not have been interested in the CC "thing" I knew this as this is the 3rd Cruise June and I have shared.

What we did have was a fantastic cruise with perfect weather and met some fantastic people. Our table was quite the best we have ever had with 2 English couples Philip and John from New Hampshire who were long term partners. FANTASTIC real Gentlemen who made us feed really special with sense of fun and the best manners I have experienced in a long time.

We dined with them also at the Captain's Table hosted by the Food and Beverage Manager. We enjoyed the dining partners at this table also and I do hope to meet up with Julie and Bernard in Melbourne when on my Millennium trip.

Dress code I followed my own. Smart casual or above and I chose the above. Mainly as I have spent a lot of money improving my CRUISE wardrobe over the past couple of years. Where else am I going to wear it. Val I agree with you as I did some fantastic shopping in Naples. Yes only shopping there as I have been so many times. Everything I bought was made in Italy and I am drawn to a rail that says everything at ????. I have not lost my touch where finding a bargain is concerned.

Returning home my baggage weighed 6K over as it was 3K over on the outbound journey. Nobody asked me to pay any excess so I was fortunate indeed. I was happy to have paid as I just could not leave those jackets in the shop!!

We loved our water taxi from the Airport to the Hotel as far as I am concerned now the ONLY way to arrive there. Even though it was not cheap it was in my mind well worth it if only for the experience. The 70 euro to the Ship was a bit of a rip off but what the heck we were on holiday! Felt like out of James Bond as we sped along. We loved our hotel in Venice and having breakfast on the terrace. Little birds landing on our table if we left it for a minute.

We had again 2 separate rooms and got an upgrade to a Canal view from the small little room we were initially taken to. Some had booked their rooms with POINTS but we had paid a lot of money and felt we deserved something better. The staff were very polite and helpful. I inspected the change of room before I moved and it was just beautiful and large.

Would we stay there again in a heart beat but would need to know what type of room we were being offered. Single supplements are expensive and can sometimes leave you with a lesser accommodation but on this occasion the Regina Europa rose to the occasion.

For my next trip I am doing a short trip to Ireland just for a weekend on the 10th October. I will be setting off on my extended holiday on the 17th November and I am so looking forward to it.

Once again all of those I met and especially Draffy great to have met with all of you. Sorry I didn't want to get into a conversation re the Captain's Table dining. Always better to avoid this in my opinion. No doubt our paths may cross again.

Finally thanks to Ardy for all the work put into making this CC member relive that wonderful dream.

Sue

Just the last word from me. All of you who are going on the next cruise I hope you have as much fun as Roy and I had and meet the most fantastic people who we have struck up a great friendship with.

Hopefully Roy and I will do another cruise next year, and Roy will tell you all about it but until then " Happy Cruising" and just make the most of it because it goes so quickly

Love

Val

I do want to also point out one of the most common uses for he Riesling grape is German style wines. These wines can be semi sweet, sweet, or dessert wines. Dry Riesling is more of an exception than the rule.

Suzanne

After reading your post, I did a little research, and found that Riesling is used in a lot of sweet and semi-sweet wines.

Our experience, apart from an Auslese variety, has been that most of our local Rieslings are all dry or off-dry.

So, semi-apologies to the sommelier for that night. We moved tables after that (for a different reason), but really enjoyed our new sommelier; she didn't quite have the same "I know it all" attitiude that our original one did.

The real point of my emphasis on that incident was that one of the four recommended wines for the evening wasn't available - that is inexcusable.

Regards

Roy

Great review Ardy and Val. Didn't see much of you on board as I kept losing everyone. The Sailaway!! the CC Party managed that. The 2nd get together came in at the last minute on that.

What a surprise that first night when you spoke to me remembering me from the pictures sent to your web site.

Once again all of those I met and especially Draffy great to have met with all of you.

Sue

Sue, we may not have seen much of you and June on the cruise, but you had so much information to share on our roll-call beforehand (and afterwards). I think we ALL enjoyed Draffy (may his red lobster-face be eternally remembered) - did anyone ever see him without a beer in his hand??

Roy...this is the most enjoyable "read" I've had on these boards for ages!

Keep cruising...we want to know when your next review will be added..it'll be something to look forward to.

Yvonne

Yvonne, thanks for your kind words - fact is that you provided a lot of information to us while we were planning this cruise - Thank you!!!

To all the other recent posters, thank you for taking the time to read through our ramblings !

Roy & Val

I have read many reviews....but this has to be one of the best that I have ever read.

The OP actually brought the entire event into the "theatre of our minds" and we could experience the cruise without taking it.....a great review and well written!!!!

Baie Dankie-Dit was goed geskryf! Totsiens:)

Hallo Tweets

Dankie vir jou woorde - maar ek wil graag weet hoe jy hier ingespring het in hierdie taal, aangesien dit lyk asof jy in NY bly???

Groete

Roy

Suzanne

After reading your post, I did a little research, and found that Riesling is used in a lot of sweet and semi-sweet wines.

Our experience, apart from an Auslese variety, has been that most of our local Rieslings are all dry or off-dry.

So, semi-apologies to the sommelier for that night. We moved tables after that (for a different reason), but really enjoyed our new sommelier; she didn't quite have the same "I know it all" attitiude that our original one did.

The real point of my emphasis on that incident was that one of the four recommended wines for the evening wasn't available - that is inexcusable.

Regards

Roy

I just noticed that you are from South Africa, so semi apologies to you. I have had many wonderful dry Rieslings from South Africa. Here in the states the majority of Rieslings are some what sweet even if they are not made in the German style. However, I have had a few from Oregon or Washington that are more of the dry but fruity style.

We have had several occasions where the wines we ordered were not available. It would be nice if they could do a wine list based on what they actually have and not what they are supposed to have.

I also wanted to add that if you enjoy wines, you are in one of the best places in the world to try the local wines. South African wines have good quality controls and a variety of grapes and styles are produced there. You could go to a few tasting in your area. You would be learning about your local wines, but also the other styles around the world to which they are similar. (Can you tell I love wine!!!)

Hi Roy,

I was born in Johannesburg but moved to NY in 1977. My afrikaans is really limited so I had to have my mother help me out!:o I am going on the Summit in December so I'm reading up as much as possible, thanks for the interesting review.

Roy,

I have to tell you that I have had nothing other than Vinice and rings on my mind since reading your review.

When I was in college, my senior year, I traveled to Venice with my choir for 5 days. We stayed in a Youth Hostile and had a $30 per day per diem. It was my first trip outside the Americas. Though much of our time was spent rehersing inside a cold dark but incredibly beautiful church (the Jesuiti) I totally bonded with this incredible city.

I can't believe that it has been almost 20 years since that trip. What an incredible trip!!! I am so desiring to go back again.

OK and now to weird dreams about lost rings!!!

I dreamed about it last night. Except in my dream a crew member had stolen it and placed it around his I-pod. Impossible in the real world but not in dream land. In my dream it was a huge emerald cut diamond surrounded by several karat on a ring guard. In my dream I saw the crew member working on the ceiling and then the ring around his I-pod. I climb up the scaffolding and grabbed the I-pod and ring before the crew member could disappear into the ceiling. I then yelled for security to come. I then had to explain that the ring belonged to Ardy and Val. And then I had to explain that I didn't really know them they had just written about loosing their ring on CC.

Isn't that a crazy dream. It must have been that bean burrito I had at 9:30 last night.

Isn't that a crazy dream. It must have been that bean burrito I had at 9:30 last night.

HHmmmm ...

Bean burrito? Maybe!! A few glasses of wine?? More believable!

I have got to agree with you about Venice though, yet I find a number of people who don't care for Venice at all. I guess it is all about what you are really looking for.

Roy

I think we ALL enjoyed Draffy (may his red lobster-face be eternally remembered) - did anyone ever see him without a beer in his hand??

What an image to have!

Just going for a beer.

Regards to all, from Lobster Face

Draffy You are a great character!! Glad you got that discount in the end from TC. Why don't you get yourself booked on the Millennium for 23rd November. NZ/OZ Some great deals for couples at unbelievable prices. X are not doing this run after this winter/spring. I know its the airfare but that is not too bad. I am flying with Singapore Airlines Manchester-Singapore and then direct to Auckland. Price a lot less than the fare being offered by Celebrity.

Just want to make sure that you spend all that lolly so less room for BEERS. Just think OZ as being the best Country to drink that beer.

I just want to fill our ship up!! Ardy what about you and Val joining us!

Sue

Draffy You are a great character!!

Sue

Sure is!! I just remembered Draffy dancing poolside... (beer in hand) :)

Ardy what about you and Val joining us!

Sue

Sue, we would love to, but I can't face writing another review so soon. :)

Roy

Archived