Travel Agents vs. online

mroyer

Can anyone tell me why they prefer to use travel agents over booking online? I never even considered using a TA, but in reading some of these boards I see that many people do. Please educate me on why I should use one for my next cruise. Thanks. Mark.

I used a friend who just started a cruise line selling business. I searched the web and I can get the same price from her (she matched it) as I could from someone I didn't know on line. I just feel better dealing with someone I know.

Some travellers just feel better having a live body to talk to, as opposed to booking online. Particularly in this day and age when a lot of online TA's communicate via e-mail only.

Certainly a TA can be beneficial for the traveller that doesn't know exactly what they want, and can be worth their weight in gold if there are any issues (from getting refunds/shipboard credits in the event that prices go down, to helping resolve more problematic issues).

There are some TA's, I'm told, that even go so far as to notify their clients when time-bound cruise specials and sales are announced.

I used to have one of those TA's; unfortunately, she didn't make enough money and had to go back to her original career as a paralegal. This happened years ago, and I still miss her level of service. I've not found another TA nearly as good.

T

If a problem comes up and you need immediate help, it can take days for an internet agent to get back to you. If you're doing a more exotic cruise and you need things like visas, the online agencies can be of no help. I know of an older couple who saved for a long time to take their dream cruise to China. Being inexperienced cruisers, they used an online agency, and unfortunately this agency didn't bother to tell this couple about needing visas for China. When they boarded the ship, the old Renaissance line, they discovered they couldn't get off the ship at any of the stops for China, and they missed the part of the cruise they wanted to see the most. A live TA doesn't generally make mistakes like that. Regular local travel agents also go above and beyond for their clients, something you probably won't find with the internets. A couple of years ago, an airline lost one piece of my luggage for a cruise in Europe. I called my TA and he kept in touch with both the airline and the ship, and he found my luggage. Again, something an internet won't do.

Have you considered the third option?

I have found (from my last 4 cruises) that I get the best deal all around by going directly thru the cruiseline. I can talk to my PVP (Carnival Personal Vacation Planner) at any time, I've gotten shipboard credits and/or upgrades each of the past four cruises, as well as the one coming up next week. :)

Check all three - then make your decision. Never hurts to do your homework; might save you big bucks.

Mark, while I think your question, why you should use a 'LIVE" TA is probably rhetorical , I am going to answer it anyway.................you shouldn't, At this point if you have used an on-line agent and are happy, why switch? In our limited experience we have changed with every cruise.

We have used TA's for all three cruises, these next two are booked thru an on-line agency. IF our TA could have come close to matching the prices we were quoted, say 100-150 dollars more, I would have stayed with them. I do not begrudge anyone making a living in their field of expertise but when I can do the same thing on my keyboard and save 800 bucks, well I will check prices myself and hope we do not get in a serious jam where I may need a live person. I guess the $$ are what drive our decisions with bookings.

Archived