St. Marteen on Christmas Day

Just off the Mariner, and will be in St. Marteen on Christmas Day this year. I asked Abe, cruise director, about the port, since several shop owners told us that they would be closed on Christmas Day per orders of the Govenor. I am wondering if shore excursions will still be on? Abe was surprised that we would be in a port on Christmas, and said he was sure the excursions would still be happening, but didn't seem that confident to me! I am wondering if anyone has ever experienced being in port on Christmas when the stores are all closed? I don't want to be stuck on the ship when I am on that beautiful island!:(

Hi!

We were in St. Maarten 2 yrs ago on Christmas day. All of the jewellery shops and top quality shops were closed, but there were plenty of touristy/souvenier shops open for bits & peices. Bars & restaurants, beaches etc all operating as normal. We bought day passes for the water buses (5 dollars for the day I think) and spent the day on the beach, returning to the ship for lunch and then hit the town for a wander round in the afternoon. the day pass was great value for getting from the town - beach and ship.

Have a great day there!

Hi!

We were in St. Maarten 2 yrs ago on Christmas day. All of the jewellery shops and top quality shops were closed, but there were plenty of touristy/souvenier shops open for bits & peices. Bars & restaurants, beaches etc all operating as normal. We bought day passes for the water buses (5 dollars for the day I think) and spent the day on the beach, returning to the ship for lunch and then hit the town for a wander round in the afternoon. the day pass was great value for getting from the town - beach and ship.

Have a great day there!

Thank you for the input! I am a planner, and couldn't stand waiting to see what happens! My husband and 2 young sons will have their first experience cruising at Christmas and I want it to be memorable! I love the idea of just hanging around at the beach, but wasn't sure the water taxi's would be in operation. We won't be in the market for upscale jewelry, etc, so the little souvenier shops are great for us. And I hope the Blue Bitch Bar is open on the beach, they have the best food! I hope it all goes as "planned", lol, but either way we will have the time of our lives!:)

Hello!

I am on your Christmas cruise. Haven't you stopped by our roll call? You need to come back and chat with us. We have a great group and lots of discussion going on.

We were in St. Maarten on July 4th and asked around in different shops if they would be open......and most of them said no. We asked if the excursions would be up and running and they said that they would. If there was a ship in port....the excursions would run. We always head over to Orient Beach and everything should be open over there.

Stop by the roll call some time.

Hi.

we are another family on your cruise.

We have a booked a private tour for this day as there are 8 of us.

Here is a link to our roll call in case you cannot find it

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=645932&page=44

There is also some good info on the st maarten board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

There is also a st thomas one , the one for coco cay comes under private islands.

Hope to see you on our rolll call.

Archived