Cruisetour #1 or #12 to Alaska on Radiance

I am planning my trip to Alaska for next August and can't decide between these two cruise tours. I want to have two days in Denali and originally was going for #1. Then a friend noticed that #12 traveled more on the train than on the bus and thought we would see more scenery and be able to get up and move around more than riding a bus to each destination. Also it includes the flight from Fairbanks to Anchorage. (is that on a puddle jumper or full sized plane)? I was thinking that the bus ride would allow for stopping along the way if you saw wildlife or are they pretty strict on going from point A to B without stopping? And how long does it take for the bus ride to Denali from Anchorage.

Also, do most people pack a bag for the land portion and a bag for the cruise portion or keep everything with you. Does the cruise line limit you on amount of bags?

Any suggestions from anyone doing either of these cruise tours will be appreciated. I have read numerous posts regarding independent versus cruisetours and have decided when there are more than two people to consider, it would be easier to do the cruisetour rather than try to please everybody by doing it on our own. THis is my first time to Alaska, too, so I'm clueless.

First of all, you're going to love it! :)

I would choose #12 because it gives you one more night and Talkeetna. Actually, I think this is the one we did so it is obviously a very wise choice! :p ;) I was also looking at packages with 2 nights in Denali and maximum train time. You will also get an extra C&A cruise credit with 12 nights vs 11.

The flight from Fairbanks to Anchorage is on Alaska Airlines. Their entire fleet (like Southwest) is 737's.

The cruiseline does not limit your number of suitcases but the airline(s) certainly will so keep that in mind. It is best to have land bags and cruise bags. They will store your cruise bags for you until you get to the ship.

First of all, you're going to love it! :)

I would choose #12 because it gives you one more night and Talkeetna. Actually, I think this is the one we did so it is obviously a very wise choice! :p ;) I was also looking at packages with 2 nights in Denali and maximum train time. You will also get an extra C&A cruise credit with 12 nights vs 11.

The flight from Fairbanks to Anchorage is on Alaska Airlines. Their entire fleet (like Southwest) is 737's.

The cruiseline does not limit your number of suitcases but the airline(s) certainly will so keep that in mind. It is best to have land bags and cruise bags. They will store your cruise bags for you until you get to the ship.

Thank you for your answers. I have the exact same questions, so this will help me in my planning. I had originally booked #12 on the Radiance for August 2008, but had to cancel due to a conflict. I'm now planning on doing it in 2010, so Ive been lurking to find out if I should re-assess my earlier plans.

Also, when you combine a 7 day cruise with a 5 day land tour............you will receive upon completion 2 cruise credits because that would make a total of 12 days.............if earning additional cruise credits is important to you.

You will only earn 1 cruise credit with a 7 day cruise and a 4 day land tour.

If you decided to stay in a JS cabin you would also receive 1 cruise credit. Just some food for thought.

Princess Petite As you can see from my signature my DH and I completed #12 this past June. It was Awesome!! We also looked at #1 but decided for the extra day in Denali and got to visit Talkeetna. From an earlier post I noticed you got your answers and I agree with them. My only advice would be to plan on paying more than you are used to for your meals. The alaskan prices take some getting used to especially the farther north you go. I am sure you will enjoy it-we will be going back sometime in the future. Also if you buy many gifts etc. plan on shipping them home. There are post offices everywhere and they have all you need to ship stuff home. With flying it saves a lot of worry. Again Have a good time!!!

Archived