Coral Sands Beach Resort

Joanportia

Just back from Western Carib cruise. Did arrange to go to Coral Sands Beach Resort. The day I went, the heat index was 107 degrees but at the beach there was a nice breeze. Now don't let the word "resort" get you carried away. This place has only been in existence since August and construction equipment is still on site and very much in process. I am not sure about the entire vision for this "resort". I do know that NCL already has an excursion with this beach and they are in the process of negociating with other cruise lines. So with that said, it is quite rustic right now but still a nice option if the others are not suitable or you are looking for something else. The beach is not like Goff's Caye. I have been there before. The food was okay. The water at one point did drop off suddenly so children need be careful. The people were very nice and I believe most of the Belizeans are. Any questions, please ask.

All in all had a good day!!

Joan

SAil on...

Hmmm, yes lots of questions.

How long were you actually on the island? Did you feel the arrangements for pick up and return were adequate? Did you participate in either of the other packages (snorkeling,kayaking)? When you say the sand wasn't the same as Goffs, which did you like better? Was it relaxing, or boring? Was there anything else to do but eat, drink, and swim? About how many other people were there with you? How many on the boats to take you there? Did the construction intrude on the experience? Did you feel like you were on a tropical island getaway? Anything to buy there besides food? Would there be another way there besides the resort boats? How long was the total excursion?

Wow, I probably have more but will stop it there. I would certainly apprectiate a firsthanders experience. Thanks so much.

Su

Explorer of the Seas 01/30/05

Hello- it looks like Joan is busy so I'll see if I can help. I was at Coral Sands a little over a week ago- yes the resort is still under construction so heavy equipment is still on site. They told us that they are behind schedule due to the hurricanes and had hopes of getting the restrooms completed soon. (currently port-a-potties). The water was not clear- again they stated that was from IVAN, but Cozumel was crystal clear. The drink prices were around $6.00 for alcoholic drinks like pina coladas and daiquiris, and ours were very good. We got to the tourist village about 9:30, but never actually left there until about 10:30. We were waiting for a couple that never showed up that had made reservations. We had some trouble locating the contact person at the tourist village, but then just asked someone and he pointed them out to us. We left the beach at 2:30 because other ships had earlier departing times then us and they wouldn't make another trip so we had no choice. They took us right to our ship. The sand is crushed coral and hard to walk on. We did not do any other excursions with them- the ones that did had little to no beach time. The construction did not bother us and we felt like we were on a secluded island. There is no shopping and nothing else to do besides swim, eat and drink- a short volleyball game started, but at 107 degrees it didn't last long. There was maybe 60 people there with us-two boats back is all that left. We were looking to relax, which we did and enjoyed the tropical breeze by just lying around and swimming-there is a sand bar not too far off the beach area-some boys swam out there and played football. Gald I went- probably wouldn't do it again- but for what we were looking for on this excursion it suited us. Anne:)

Hiya Cruisers,

thought I'd give some input of my experience at Coral Sands.......allow me to start off by saying that I am in no way disappointed at the package deal I got from my trip to the resort. a more detailed description of exactly what I mean is as follows: I was on the Norwegian Spirit about two weeks ago......We were looking for a beach to spend a day on and so we booked a beach day to coral sands on the ship. We were picked up from the ship at around 8 am We arrived in about 15 minutes to the island. Coral Sands had this Beach coast village feel to it. Everything had an earthtone natural feel ....from the bar...to the thatchhuts. WE somehow arranged to go take the kayaking tour. our kayaks were ready for us to take the tour in about thirty minutes. In total the tour took about an hour and a half. Need I say, the tour itself was superb....unlike any other I have taken....the guide was very knowledgeable...IT IS BEYOND ME, how someone can say soo much about trails of mangrove and calm water......quite an experience for inquisitive minds like my daughters' that ask "do people live in those mangroves mommy?" haha. So in any case ( sorry diversion into a family moment there).....When we got back lunch was ready.......IT WAS AROUND 12:30...The food was actually one of the best parts of package..local style barbque...Like the past message on the thread said...yes the beach is a bit hard to walk on bcs of the broken coral ( THANK GOD FOR FLIP FLOPS)...and there was a couple of construction equipment on site as well, however that did not affect our experience in any way. I come from a city of all the hustle your mind could think of as I am sure many live through as well....I was looking for somewhere pristine as God gave us and thats exactly what I got so my family and I cannot complain.

if u guys wanna ask about anything specific please do ask.

lubna and family

Thanks for the latest up date. However I can't seem to get them to respond to my email request for a reservation confirmation. We are only there from

1 - 5 pm since we don't anchor until 12 noon. I'm concerned about whether or not they will accomodate us for a late visit. All other posts have been about morning visits and leaving around 2 pm. So what about the Grand Princess and their late arrival? Anyone with thoughts or experiences?

I sent an email through their website about booking with them prior to sailing and they sent an email back saying this:

We appreciate your desire to discover the destination you are travelling tohowever, due to the nature of our business relationship with NorwegianCruiselines we strongly suggest that you purchase the tour through the ship.If you are travelling here with another company or here as in overnight visitor we would be glad to accommodate all of your needs but at this time, we are restricted in the amount of assistance we may give to Norwegianpassengers.We apologize for any inconveniences and we hope that you will proceed inmaking Coral Sands Beach Resort your excursion choice in Belize.

I do not even see coral sands on the list of Norwegian excursions. Just wanted to feedback. Thanks.

Wow! You might want to call NCL and ask them about the availability of a ship sponsored excursion. We are on the Grand Princess which won't start calling on Belize until a week or 2 from now. But today I did receive a confirmation from them. We had asked for a 1/2 day package since we don't arrive until 1PM and must be back on board by 6PM. At first they only mentioned the full day version but now it seems they do have a 1/2 option and we are now confirmed for Dec. 20th.

I still have a few questions as to just how sharp the coral pieces that form their beach really are and how the beach compares to those of Mexico's Yucatan - Playa Del Carmen/Cancun areas. Those are also coral beaches and we love it there. Coral beaches usually mean fabulous clear water. So anyone out there with additional information?

Guest Time2gocruzn

Lubna, do you think this place would be okay to take a 2 yo and a 4 yo? I e- mailed them and they said small kids are welcome. I was considering going here and my mom & dad would stay at the resort (w/ kids) while DH and I go snorkleing. What do you think? Also, is the sand nice enough that the kids can play in it? Is the water cklear/blue? We all wave water shoes, would those b okay for the beach? Thanks!

We had asked for a 1/2 day package since we don't arrive until 1PM and must be back on board by 6PM. At first they only mentioned the full day version but now it seems they do have a 1/2 option and we are now confirmed for Dec. 20th.
Hi Parrothead-

What kind of price did you get for the half-day? I had blown the place off, because we're on the same schedule as you. (Grand 1/29) Maybe it's worth it for half-a-day!

hi there,

I was an NCL passenger and I wanted to book with Coral Sands Beach Resort as well. I was sent that same email about booking through the ship. On the ship I inquired about Coral Sands at the Excursions Desk on the ship, I was told that Belizean Beach Day is the excursion to Coral Sands. and yes indeed, it was mentioned in the description. Hope that helps you making your reservations.

About the beach....it is not comparable to the Mexican Yucatan...Cancun nor Playa Del Carmen......The ground itself is hard..it is not "sink your feet in kinda powdery sand". The coral pieces on the beach are not sharp or dangerous but uncomfortable to walk barefoot. I'd advise some light shoes or slippers of some kind.

All in all, it is a very relaxing place to be.......its imperfections do add to the experience believe it or not...you'll be sure to remember it from the rest of the "man made" places like Cancun etc.

any other clarifications needed...ask me!!!

Jalal

NoNoNannett,

I need to locate the copy of my email that described the 1/2 day cost. For some reason I can't find it on my computer or printer. I know I printed it. However, I could find their confirmation for the 1/2 day package. I'm thinking it was in the $15 -$20 range instead of the whole day of $39ish. There was an option to get lunch for an additional $7 -$8 dollars also available. I would email them and request specifics. If so would you mind posting the specifics in case I can't find my original email. (my DH's computer automatically deletes emails after a few days -which is the one I mainly use for cruise information) I'll keep looking, too.

Thanks

I think the E-mail Beatrice received from Coral Sands seems to me a bit strange. I had just E-mailed Coral sands about a visit to their facility during our Jan 05 cruise when I read your message. I tried to call NCL but their offices are closed. I want to know if there is a problem between the two businesses. I wouldn't like to get into a situation where we wouldn't be "welcome" because of who we are cruising with. The strange part is that I printed out the shore excursions from NCL's web-site and part of the excursions list the "Belizean BEach Day" Half the day is spent at "Coral Sands Beach Resort! I don't want to take the ship's tour because there are usually hords of people, and most of the time double the price!!!! DH & I usually like to go off on our own and hang out at the beach.

I'm going to call NCL later and find out what's going on. When I get an answer I'll post it.

Here's hoping for the best!!!

I just got off the phone with NCL. The tour excursion person (Who didn't seem to well informed) did have an explanation which seemed reasonable to me. They say that Coral Sands is a "private" resort and they have an exclusive contract with the resort to bring their passengers there.

If anyone going there from another cruise line gets any different info could you please pass it along. I want to go hang out at the beach, but the cost of this tour ($55.00 pp) seems a bit high to me. (The tour included a stop in the boat to snorkel at Sargents Caye, which I don't want to do. And the $55.00 doesn't even include lunch! Actually I'm still trying to figure out what the $55.00 pp is for?) Anyway if I can't figure this out maybe I'll stay on board and enjoy the pool!!

Guest Time2gocruzn

Here ya go! This is the info I was sent a few weeks ago:

Thank you for your expressed interest in Coral Sands Beach Resort. We would be delighted to have you as our guest at the island. Please find rate details of our "Day at the beach" package as well as our "1/2 day snorkeling and 1/2 day at the beach" package:

1.“Day at the Beach”

Discover the wonders of Water Caye's private beach at Coral Sands Beach Resort. Guest will spend a relaxing day on the white sanded shores while dinning on sumptuous local delicacies for lunch at our Beach BBQ. "Stir it up" to island music at our large open-air beach bar or slip off to a secluded area to lounge in a hammock and soak up the sun. For more active guests, beach activities such as soccer and volleyball are available free of charge. All the splendor of the Caribbean only 20 minutes away.

Includes:

• Tendering of Guests to and from the Tourist Village Pier to Coral Sands Beach Resort
  • Full lunch buffet with chicken, hamburgers, hotdogs, rice, beans, salad, and fruit
  • One complementary tropical soft drink

The above all inclusive package holds the following rates:

Price per passenger: US$47 (Adult)

US$27(Children 12 +)

children under twelve are free!!

Should you have a group of 25 people or more you will enjoy the following discounted rates instead of the above price per passenger rate:

Full day at the beach

with lunch - US$38 adults & US$32 children over 12

without lunch - US$33 Adults & US$18 children over 12

1/2 day at the beach

with lunch - US$20 adults & US$12 children over 12

without lunch - US$17 adults & US$11 children over 12

The above package may apply to whoever wants to just stay at the beach.

The following is the rate details for the "1/2 day snorkeling and 1/2 day beach" package:

. Snorkeling at the Barrier Reef & 1/2 Day on the Beach

Come explore Belize's hidden treasures at Sargents Caye on the barrier reef. Swim alongside southern rays, nurse sharks, and other tropical rarities in the morning or afternoon, while enjoying the other half of your day on the beach at Coral Sands Beach Resort. Each tour provides ample time for guests to have a swim, lounge in a hammock and enjoy a delicious beach BBQ lunch.

Includes:

• Tendering of Guests to and from the Tourist Village Pier to Coral Sands Beach Resort
  • Tendering of Guests to and from the island to the snorkeling site
  • Snorkeling Gear: mask, tube, fins, life jacket
  • Full lunch buffet with chicken, hamburgers, hotdogs, rice, beans, salad, and fruit
  • One complimentary tropical soft drink

This all inclusive package holds the following rates:

Price per passenger: US$61 adult & US$46 children 12+

Should you have a group of 25 persons or more to take this package you may enjoy the following discounted group rates instead of the above stated price per passenger rate:

Group rates:

with lunch - US$49 adult & US$37 children between 12-16

without lunch - US$44 & US$32 children between 12-16

Details of the Snorkeling Tour as follows:

a.. it is done on Seargent's Caye which is a tiny island located one mile (five minute boat ride) away from Coral Sands

b.. The tour lasts approximately one hour and a half

c.. The boat we take out there is a 38ft boat, can fit 35 people, half covered, with an under water level dive ladder and platform

d.. There will be one guide for every 15 passengers as according to safety guidelines. Should the group include snorkelers at the

beginners stage: That poses absolutely no problem. Before the tour, the guide will give everyone a briefing/crash course on

exactly what to do and how to do it.

Please note: There is no minimum group size for package one however there is a minimum group size for package two. We must have at least 8 people for the snorkeling tour.As for the snorkeling tour, we require a minimum of 10 people. This tour must be pre-arranged with us as you make your reservations. The only way to accommodate a couple or so that have not pre-arranged for a snorkeling tour is if there is a trip planned with another group and there is space with them. Only then we would allow that the tour be taken.

Any additional charges you may incur ONLY ON REQUEST would probably be as follows: Alcoholic drinks at our full service Reef bar, floating mat rental for the entire day at $5 each, or souvenir purchase at our giftshop. There are no other charges you may incur otherwise.

Our reservation procedure goes as follows: You make your reservations with us with number of people, name of your group, cruiseline you will be with , package you wish to purchase and time of arrival, we pick you up at the Tourist Village Pier in Belize city where the cruise ship tenders drop you off. The trip from the pier to Coral Sands takes 20 minutes. Payment for your visit is made upon arrival or as a prepayment, at your convenience.

Exact place of pick up at the Tourist village will be emailed to you closer to your time of arrival, of course after you have made your reservation. Pick up time is not fixed as our tender boats are at the pick up spot from before the Cruise Ships arrive. We unfortunately do not make several trips throughout the day to and from the island. We have a set time for a group to be out there: a specific time for arrival and for departure.

There is no minimum group size for package one however there is a minimum group size for package two. We must have at least 8 people for the snorkeling tour.As for the snorkeling tour, we require a minimum of 10 people. This tour must be pre-arranged with us as you make your reservations. The only way to accommodate a couple or so that have not pre-arranged for a

snorkeling tour is if there is a trip planned with another group and there is space with them. Only then we would allow that the tour be taken.

I hope I have answered your questions adequately. Please feel free to contact me if anything is not clear or if you have any further questions. I look forward to making your reservation.

Best regards,

Fadila Jundi

• 8 months later...
Hello- it looks like Joan is busy so I'll see if I can help. I was at Coral Sands a little over a week ago- yes the resort is still under construction so heavy equipment is still on site. They told us that they are behind schedule due to the hurricanes and had hopes of getting the restrooms completed soon. (currently port-a-potties). The water was not clear- again they stated that was from IVAN, but Cozumel was crystal clear. The drink prices were around $6.00 for alcoholic drinks like pina coladas and daiquiris, and ours were very good. We got to the tourist village about 9:30, but never actually left there until about 10:30. We were waiting for a couple that never showed up that had made reservations. We had some trouble locating the contact person at the tourist village, but then just asked someone and he pointed them out to us. We left the beach at 2:30 because other ships had earlier departing times then us and they wouldn't make another trip so we had no choice. They took us right to our ship. The sand is crushed coral and hard to walk on. We did not do any other excursions with them- the ones that did had little to no beach time. The construction did not bother us and we felt like we were on a secluded island. There is no shopping and nothing else to do besides swim, eat and drink- a short volleyball game started, but at 107 degrees it didn't last long. There was maybe 60 people there with us-two boats back is all that left. We were looking to relax, which we did and enjoyed the tropical breeze by just lying around and swimming-there is a sand bar not too far off the beach area-some boys swam out there and played football. Gald I went- probably wouldn't do it again- but for what we were looking for on this excursion it suited us. Anne:)

Do you have any pictures of the beach and resort?

The beach is not like Goff's Caye. I have been there before. Any questions, please ask.

All in all had a good day!!

Joan

SAil on...

Hi Joan, I am trying to find as much information that I can. I noticed that you were at Coral Sands while still under construction so I hope it has come a long way since then. But, how was the beach? You mentioned it isn't like Goffs Caye...is that a good thing? I've never been to Goffs Caye so I wasn't sure what you meant by that. Would you recommend Goffs Caye over Coral Sands? Do you have any pictures of the beach?

Does anyone know the scoop on Coral Sands? I read on another posting that they are not open to the public, only large groups and NCL excursions?? Just wondering if two people can go to this resort for the day? From the e-mail posted from the Coral Sands employee, the snorkeling has to have at least 8 people which I understand completely. The website looks nice and the beach and facilities too.

I also would like to know if anyone has gone to coral sands recently? I will be on the Legend of the Seas Jan 2006 sail. Can passengers from all cruise ships go or is it limited to NCL ? It looks like it has something that would appeal to everyone in our party of 12.

Does anyone know the scoop on Coral Sands? I read on another posting that they are not open to the public, only large groups and NCL excursions?? Just wondering if two people can go to this resort for the day? From the e-mail posted from the Coral Sands employee, the snorkeling has to have at least 8 people which I understand completely. The website looks nice and the beach and facilities too.

This is the response that I got from Coral Sands. Sounds like they are going to try to accomadate us.

what date are you and your party arriving? Our last day to

entertain NCL is Tuesday, July 19th. After that we are closed for the

season. If your group was 25 to 30 in number, we would open our private

Island for you for the day. Our business is not open to the general public.

I have attached our price list and a description of our tour. We would need

a 50% deposit in advance. We accept credit cards for tour payment. A 5% fee

is attached to the price. All information is on the attached document.

Joan Utterback

And here is the last response after I questioned 25-30 people being a lot to ask for and let them know that we will be spending money at their resort.

we should be open to cruise ship guests on that day (5/30/06). We haven’t gotten the final ship schedule for next cruise season yet, but there’s a good chance that we’ll be open that day. If we are not open, that is the worst case scenario. If you would agree to pay US$45 to $50 per person, depending on the number of people you bring under the 30 minimum, we could accommodate you. Of course, a very small group would cost more than that. The cost issue is the boat that we would have to hire to get you to our Island and the staff that we would have to bring just for you. (Not to mention other overhead like the generator on.) Remember, we are a private island. We bring everything that is needed to entertain our guests. Logistically, you would probably be tendered to the Tourist Village by your ship. You and your group would then need to get to the Princess Hotel Marina (about a 10-15 minute taxi ride) to meet our tender boat. We are not allowed to pick up from the Tourist Village. That is for tour boats from the ships. To help make this easier, I will see if I can get information about whether or not a ship is scheduled for that day and get back to you

Stillnot sure if they will allow us on the day they are open if my group is less then the min. of 30. More then $50 sounds like a lot when all it includes is lunch and part of your transportation. I'll keep you posted though.

Archived