4 in JS on Mariner

kely53

I have my 2 kids (male 21, female 24) booked in a JS (it does accommodate 4) on the Mariner. They have both decided to invite a friend. Now there are 4, all in their early 20's. I have read on several threads that the sleeper sofas are quite uncomfortable. Has anyone slept on a sleeper sofa on the Mariner and what was your experience? I was considering bringing a single air mattress (we have a good one) and having one sleep on the sofa without opening it and the other sleep on the air mattress.....Thanks for any input!!

The sleeper sofa's on the Mariner are not the usual pullout type with the mattress inside. The seat actually pulls out and the backrest falls flat so someone is sleeping on the seat and someone is sleeping on the backrest.

My 13 year old daughters slept on it and would trade sides each night as the backrest side was the harder of the two. In the end, they were so tired each evening I don't think it really mattered that much. Had they been adults, however, it would probably have been even more uncomfortable. You can get the cabin steward to get a topper for it that makes it a bit more comfortable but I don't know that this would do too much good for someone fully grown.

I think you're idea with the air mattress would be a viable solution.

4 adults in a JS could be challenging! You can probably do just as well by booking the two guys into an inside across the hall from the girls and let the guys visit for use of the balcony. Normally, you can get an inside for the same amount as the 3rd and 4th person rate in the same room. Results: More room, two baths, privacy and happy backs! ;)

The sofa bed in the JS is different from the sofa bed in a D category balcony cabin. The D category is very uncomfortable and two adults would find it hard to sleep on. By contrast the JS sofa bed was quite comfortable and I think two adult women would do fine on it -- not so sure about two adult men. The difference is that there is more room in the JS, so the sofa folds out differently. It's long enough for the sleepers to have their head at the wall and their feet at the foot of the bed. In the D's, the sleepers sleep with their sides to the wall. That is the one that neverenufcruising is describing for you. Not sure you can picture this, but there is a big difference between the two sofa beds. My experience has been sofa beds in D's on VOS, EOS and AOS and a JS sofa bed on NOS. So this post assumes that the JS sofa bed on the NOS is the same as the JS sofa bed on the MOS (highly likely I would think). If so, the JS sofa bed is what you would think of as a typical double sofa bed.

Also, we had four adults in the JS on NOS and it was just fine. Very comfortable, as a matter of fact. The bathroom is large and there is a very sizeable walk in closet, which can easily double as a dressing room. We had a side balcony(rather than an aft) and loved it -- very large. Unless your daughter and her friend want complete privacy, I think four young people will do fine in the JS. Sometimes the men in our group would shower in the gym shower rooms to save time and that helped with the one bathroom issue.

Hope this is helpful.

The bathroom is large and there is a very sizeable walk in closet, which can easily double as a dressing room.

Lyn - I don't mean to argue with you, but for a first time cruiser, the statement above could be interpreted to mean different things. :D

The bathroom is large
I wouldn't call 5 1/2 x 6 feet a large bathroom. Nor would I consider the closet "easily" large enough to be considered a dressing room. Yes, someone of small stature may be able to change in the closet, but it would be close quarters with the hanging clothes, shoes and bathrobes of 4 adults crowding the closet. I know that I would be very claustrophobic (and hot) if I had to change in the closet (the same size as the bath w/ very little light.) This coming from my own experience and the fact that my home bath is approx. 14 x14 and my closet is 12 x 12 (larger than some ship's inside staterooms :eek: .)

I still say check the difference in price to get an extra stateroom for your cruise. Here is an example:

JS - $1800 1st & 2nd / $699 3rd & 4th

Inside - $899 1st & 2nd

A $200 pp difference - $400 total extra. Well worth it IMHO. ;)

I totally agree with Sea Island Lady....4 adults in a JS will be tight. The bath is not large enough for two people at one time and the closet is a walk-in but barely. Possibly if you could open the bath door and the closet door it would form a barrier to dress by but its not ideal. I can't even imagine 4 adults getting ready for dinner (never mind formal night) in one cabin...I would definitely try to find that inside.

There is a great combination on deck nine aft - port and starboard- a balcony cabin and an inside connected. This would give you the best of both worlds..the kids could be together but you would have twice the storage and bath facilities.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your comments. The cruise is 2 months away and the prices are now around $1000 pp for the inside stateroom. I am paying 600 pp to have the 3rd and 4th in the js. We are on deck 9 and there arent any insides near our js anyway. So, for $800, the kids will have to figure it out!! The guys are very easy going. It will probably take them 15 minutes to get ready for dinner on any given night and then they can go hang out somewhere while the girls get ready!! Someone can always use our bathroom too. The interesting part will be all the STUFF girls bring....compared to how little the guys will bring!!

If I had anticipated that I would have had 4 people in the js at an earlier date, I would have more options than I have right now. I figure the $800 I will save by keeping them in the same js wont even begin to cover their onboard expenses!!! But it will help!!

Think I may throw the single air mattress in the luggage just in case! Course, they may all be so tired from partying/dancing etc every night that they wont care where they sleep!!! Ahhhh.... to be young!!

Thanks again

Kely,

You have a great attitude...I sure don't want to make this trip a negative...I am sure the kids will survive and have a ball. You might still want to keep an eye out on the web sites and the Happy Hour site about an inside. The kids are old enough to be a little further away from you (heck, they might even prefer it.)

Are you past the 70 day mark?? If not, a lot of cabins open up at final payment time so be alert.

At any rate, have a great cruise!

Actually the kids are on the other side of the ship from us, all on deck 9 tho. I personally dont want to know when they are coming and going!!!

Yes we are past the 70 days. Final payment was due last week. Nothing much has opened up but I keep checking. I had expected a lot more cabins to become available....but perhaps a Jan. 2 cruise is a popular time to go?? Thanks again for your input!!

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you move the kids out now, that will be considered cancelling. Looks like they are in for the long haul and FUN!

Tell the girls that there is a hair dryer in the drawer of the vanity, so they can take that out of their suitcase. It works pretty well (I have really thick hair), but take a strip of duct tape to hold the button down. I also dry most of my hair on the balcony,,,great breeze! My girls usually take things like shampoo, straightening irons and such that they can share. They will not need as many clothes as they think. Bathing suits and shorts for day time. Two pairs of shorts and several shirts will be fine.

A twin air mattress can easily fit in the room. I have one that you blow up with a hair dryer. The guys can go out on the balcony while the girls are getting dressed. Be sure and ask the steward for bathrobes (another thing that can be left at home.)

You can ask nicely for a bathrobe, but not all stewards will get them for you. They are suppose to come only with suites, GS & above or for Platinum & above members.

I suppose a rollaway could fit in the closet it if folded, but the door may be too narrow to get the rollaway inside and it would also take up all the room in the closet. More than likely, if you ordered a rollaway, it would be placed up against the wall during the day. Also, the rollaways are not plentiful, so I wouldn't go counting on that rollaway. I do not know about a charge.

Archived