Are pullman beds comfy?

Glassrobinson

My last Carnival cruise I stayed in a Pullman (at age 23!) because the one upper/one lower bed was the cheapest stateroom for two college kids on spring break.

The mattress was plenty comfortable. I fit just fine in the bed, too, plenty of room (I'm about 5'4"). I didn't really mind being off the ground, either.

My one cautionary tale is, and this should be obvious, watch your head! I did pretty well for the most part, but there were a couple times that I bumped my head. I think I woke up my travel buddy when I came in late one night, also, but otherwise it was perfectly fine.

Last time, we got a cabin with an upper and as the youngest, I was elected to sleep in it. I was perfectly comfortable. The only annoying thing is getting in and out down the ladder so it might be best to have someone sleep up there who doesn't get in and out of bed a lot at night.

Next time, we're getting a cabin with a sofa bed though. I just prefer to be on the ground!

In July on Fascination DS, who is 17 yo 5'9" and 175lb, was very comfortable on the upper pullman. Head clearance is a bit tight, but no major problem. Only issue he had was he kept kicking the top of the ladder in the middle of the night and stubbing his toe:p

In the past, MOST of the replies to threads on this topic yield a vast majority saying the bunk/upper beds are comfortable for adults.

To Cheryl and I they are NOT as comfortable as the standard lower beds. Not only are they more cramped, but getting down that ladder is not the most enjoyable experience for "tender" feet ( :D ) especially if it's 3 a.m. and pitch black ... and nature calls.

For kids, they are great - IMHO.

Tom

I'm 26 and slept in one in January on RC. It was comfortable. I"m 6 ft. tall, so i would forget at night, sit up and smack my head. The ladder was the worst. It was over the head of my parents bed so at night i would step on their bed and hop up there. In the middle of the night i would have to go down the ladder. The first night it took my 4 tries. I have balance problems and senstive feet so it was a little more difficult. I would make sure i peed before going to bed to help. The only bad thing was i would read at night, i had a hardback book, and i would put it under my pillow so it wouldnt fall, one night i fell asleep and it fell off and smacked my mom in the head. It didnt wake her up, but to this day she still has no idea where that bruise came from.

Our room steward would set it up for us each night and during the day the ladder was nowhere to be seen so it was either folded up in the bed, or in a supply closet or something. I was only an extra 299 on a 900 pp cruise so i didnt mind bonking my head. I was just happy to be there.

Archived