"white water" rafting for kids-is it safe?

chasescott

Royal Caribbean is offering a rafting tour with the following description "The section known as El Carmen is designed for the beginner rafter as it has Class I to Class II + Rapids"

I have 9 year olds and a non-swimming wife....you can guess the question. Is this calm enough for these guys? I really don't want to worry about them being dumped into the river!:)

Thanks!

I have never been on that excursion but here is my 2 cents on excurions in general. The recent drowning during a tube river float excursion just proves that you can get hurt or die when out in nature. You need to use your own judgement and understand that you are not on a ride at Disneyland. The rafting trip may be a wonderfull relaxing ride 99% of the time but if they have had a big rain a few days before your ship arrives it could be very different.

That said. I love kayaking and rafting. It is a lot of fun and a great way to see the scenery and be more active than hanging from a zipline (boring in my opinion). I do not think whitewater anything is a good place for people afraid of the water. Is your wife afraid of the water? Are your wife & kids into adventure? You will not be swimming and you will (you'd better) be wearing life jackets so even if you fall overboard it is more a matter of laughing at each other as you try to haul yourself back up into the raft.

Here is a quick description of the class system:

Class 1: Very small rough areas, requires no maneuvering. (Skill Level: None)

Class 2: Some rough water, maybe some rocks, small drops, might require maneuvering. (Skill Level: Basic Paddling Skill)

Class 3: Whitewater, medium waves, maybe a 3-5 ft drop, but not much considerable danger. May require significant maneuvering. (Skill Level: Experienced paddling skills)

Class 4: Whitewater, large waves, rocks, maybe a considerable drop, sharp maneuvers may be needed. (Skill Level: Whitewater Experience)

Class 5: Whitewater, large waves, large rocks and hazards, maybe a large drop, precise maneuvering (Skill Level: Advanced Whitewater Experience)

Class 6: Whitewater, typically with huge waves, huge rocks and hazards, huge drops, but sometimes labeled thusly due to largely invisible dangers (i.e., a smooth slide that creates a near-perfect, almost inescapable hydraulic, as at Woodall Shoals/Chattooga). Class 6 rapids are considered hazardous even for expert paddlers using state-of-the-art equipment, and come with the warning "danger to life or limb." (Skill Level: Expert)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a former white water rafting guide, and while what pilotdan posted is useful, it doesn't explain exactly what you need to know.

Class I and II are perfect for your kids and wife. If your kids are adventurous, it may even be a bit slow for them on some parts.

Class I is basically just moving water. If you see a river, and it is moving, it's Class I. Class II will have some bumps, and a bit of splashing. The water will have some white tops, some rocks, and maybe a bit of a drop here or there, but nothing they can't handle.

Hope this helps.

Oh, also, mention to your guide your wife is a non-swimmer. He will put her in front of him on the raft. That's the most stable seat on the raft, and also in his immediate vicinity in the odd chance she goes over, giving him an easier chance to get to her.

If the kids want a bumpy wet ride, place them up front.

We did this trip in 2002 and we were all worried what was going to happen.Our children at this point were 12 years old and we still talk about this trip as it has to be one of the best we have ever had.The Rapids were classed as 3 on this particular day due to recent heavy rains.We even had 70+ year old's on this trip and they also enjoyed it.The whole trip was photographed by a canoist who paddled ahead of us all the time and we got to see the photographs later in the trip at the restaurant where we had a meal which was included. Take the trip - You'll love it !

Archived