Taxi to Folkestone

SnorkelLady

If you want a bus then you have to walk outside the gate. Right after you walk out the port shopping area, you will see taxi line up, right before the gate. We had 9 in our group, the first taxi quoted us $7pp 1 way, we ended up with another for $10 pp round trip. He waited for us and took us back to the ship. It was $90 plus tip for him, so it's worth his trip (we were the only ship in port). I am not sure how much just for two, but you kinda get an idea.

MTV

I rather suspect that would depend on your starting point, and where in Folkestone you want to go......

Consider that if you are flying into London, it's about a 60 to 85 mile trip depending on which airport you land at. You may be better off taking a bus or train - or checking if the cruise line has a transfer service from the airport.

Snorkellady,

Yes, we also stopped at Paynes Bay and swam with turtles. It is in the same area, Folkstone is a little farther than Paynes. We went out really early that morning while my friends wanted to sleep in after a tiring day at Dominica. We snorkeled for about over 2 hours, went back to ship, had lunch and headed out to Paynes with rest of the group. The second trip was $8pp round trip.

MTV

MTV,

How was the snorkeling with the Turtles at Paynes Bay? Are you glad you did it? Or, would you recommend we just stay at Folkestone? I’ve read that Paynes Bay can be a bit harrowing with the boat traffic, etc. We thought maybe first thing in the morning might be good, though I don’t know what time the turtles are there.

Thanks,

SnorkelLady

Snorkellady,

We were at Blue Money, I believe it is the same as Paynes. This was not my first time swam with turtles but it was the kids' first time. They thought it was so cool. We just not only saw turtles, there was a large white ray, few species of fish even there wasn't any reef or coral. Combination of snorkeling at Folkestone, nice sandy beach at Paynes, swam with turtles at a very minimum expense, our entire group was satisfied. When we were ready to leave Folkestone (around 11:30 am), a couple arrived at our spot and mentioned that they just stopped at Paynes and saw turtles. So I guess that they are there all day as long as excursion boats stop by to feed them. There are always vendors, excursion boats, people, but we did not experience anything that would ruin our day. We saw bottom glass boats but they just stayed at one spot. We entered the beach at Blue Monkey bar, left was where we saw turtles. It was not far from shore, we had vest, it was nice swim, the water was so clear and calm.

Someone posted a picture of both Paynes and Folkestone beaches (you may have seen it). F is exactly how we experienced it. When you enter the beach, go right to the end, there is a small sandy area, no crowd, very private. Also snorkel around the right side, middle is a very shallow reef, I accidently enter the area and got few cuts.

MTV

Archived