Charging for a Steak in the DR

CaroleR

I have been on 11 cruises and going on my 12th Nov 08 on Carnival, but my favorite is Royal Caribbean. I love cruising. I think it's outrageous to charge $14.95 for a steak in the dining room, especially if they are not putting regular steak on the menu. My husband and I do not appreciate spicy food. We sometimes do not like what's on the menu, and do not want to eat upstairs at the buffet for dinner. The dining room is what you book a cruise for. Previously, my husband could always order a steak or prime rib as an alternative. Not everyone can or wishes to eat in the specialty restaurants or, in our case, save it for a special occasion or evening. In my case, I've usually saved several months for the cruise. It's bad enough to be hit with fuel surcharges that should have been included in the price. I agree with a previous blogger who says we are being "nickled and dimed!" Leave the specialties to separate venues and give the passenger a real choice. I truly believe that if enough people complain, they will not put it on other ships as well. Isn't choice what cruising is all about....

Why did you start a new thread, when there is already a lenghty discussion about this on the message board? Don't be surprised if the Host of this message board moves your comments into that thread.

Have you been on an RCI ship recently, and have personal experience with this issue? Or are you over-reacting to a report you read/heard.

Reviews from recent cruisers report that this is just an experiment on the Freedom, and that the regular NY strip steak or sirloin steak are still available on all ships. The surcharge steak provides an additional option for those who want the premium quality steak without having to go to the alternative restaruant to get it.

I suggest reading the thread that discusses this issue in depth, from cruisers who have sailed on ships where this has been implemented.

Archived