Tipping question.......

luvmygirlz

I will be on my first Carnival cruise in Oct. I have read that Carnival automatically charges you for tips. Is there anyway to change that so that you personally have control? Don't get me wrong, I know the crew works hard for their money and I always tip well. I guess it is just a control thing, but I want to decide, not them.

Thanks

Tipping is kind of a hot button issue on the boards, so hold onto your hat, but to answer your question:

yes, you can go to the Purser's desk and adjust the auto tips to whatever amount you want to, or take them off completely.

Personally, I like the auto-tips and they seem like a reasonable amount to me. I sometimes give extra to those who gave exceptional service.

Auto-tips are $10 per person per day, broken down like this:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services (cabin steward & asst.)

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services (head & asst. waiter)

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

Yes you can at the pursors desk.

Its only $10 per day per person split among your staff. It is the minimum suggested amount to tip as per, I think, American Express Travel or someother tipping guide.

You will get some strong responses to this question- some agreeable, most not...

This is your first cruise.. Enjoy it.. you will love it and most likely will want to tip much more that the auto tip... May I suggest waiting til mid cruise to make a decision- as your room stewart and others will be questioned and perhaps reprimanded on their duties as usually those that remove the tip only do so because of lack of service.

Anyway.. so yes is the answer to your question... Enjoy!:)

I personally like the auto tips program. It's much better than back in the day when you had those little envelopes to deal with at the end of the cruise. Just one less thing to worry about.

Yes you can at the pursors desk.

Its only $10 per day per person split among your staff. It is the minimum suggested amount to tip as per, I think, American Express Travel or someother tipping guide.

You will get some strong responses to this question- some agreeable, most not...

This is your first cruise.. Enjoy it.. you will love it and most likely will want to tip much more that the auto tip... May I suggest waiting til mid cruise to make a decision- as your room stewart and others will be questioned and perhaps reprimanded on their duties as usually those that remove the tip only do so because of lack of service.

Anyway.. so yes is the answer to your question... Enjoy!:)

That way when people come here to ask questions or give ideas they wouldn't be so shocked by the mockery and, sometimes, just flat out meanness that is posted.

Absolutely... ! They can call it.. The "We wont answer your cruise question, but will make a mockery out of your post" section!

[quote name=luvmygirlz;16440695........ I guess it is just a control thing' date=' but I want to decide, not them.

Thanks[/quote]

If you're wondering if the recipients of the auto tips KNOW, yes they do. They're given a printout of who has tipped and who has removed their tips, or lessened them.

Yep, just a control thing on your part. Do whatever you want.:D

I was sort of expecting the tipping was all paid, but I guess you are saying if someone goes above and beyond what you expect you would want to tip more.

Joking aside about the gifts and spider rings etc. (I'm sure it the intention was to try to be more 'personal' than just giving money, which I do agree with in normal situations at home), but would it be nice to take a couple of little cards (maybe thank you cards) to put any extra tips in and write a message if you felt appropriate?

I was sort of expecting the tipping was all paid, but I guess you are saying if someone goes above and beyond what you expect you would want to tip more.

Joking aside about the gifts and spider rings etc. (I'm sure it the intention was to try to be more 'personal' than just giving money, which I do agree with in normal situations at home), but would it be nice to take a couple of little cards (maybe thank you cards) to put any extra tips in and write a message if you felt appropriate?

The autotip is the minimum suggested amount.. You may leave it at that or give above that, that is a personal choice and up to you. Absolutely write a thank you.. !! Also fill out the comment cards, I know they very much rely on those for reviews...

Enjoy!

I will be on my first Carnival cruise in Oct. I have read that Carnival automatically charges you for tips. Is there anyway to change that so that you personally have control? Don't get me wrong, I know the crew works hard for their money and I always tip well. I guess it is just a control thing, but I want to decide, not them.

Thanks

This is a helpful brochure

http://www.carnival.com/cms/Images/Promo_Content/PDF/ThingsToknowbeforeyougo.pdf

Hey Lesley! Only 49 days til we cruise! WOO HOO!:D

In repsonse to your question, that is pretty much what I plan on doing. We have figured the extra cash into our budget. If they deserve it, they get it. If not, then I go home with it. We are leaving our auto tips on, matter of fact, they are prepaid! We have a group of us that get together once a month and make handmade stamped cards. I plan on making my thank you cards, as my personal touch. I have read too many threads here about giving the crew gifts they have no space for. Giving the handmade cards will be my personal way of saying thanks, without giving them stuff they have to keep. I know most people get rid of cards after they get them, so it won't hurt my feelings if they throw them away. Hopefully, they will be so awestruck by my craftiness they will show them to all the other crew, who will be so jealous they didn't get to help those awesome new cruisers from Connecticut!:p

The auto-tips are added onto your S&S account the first day you board the ship. So in that sense, yes, they are all paid. They are not included in the price of your cruise....I might be reading your post wrong, but just wanted you to know that the tips are in addition to the price of your cruise.

Many people also give extra tips, in cash, to the staff that they feel have given them exceptional service. In that case, a thank you note is a nice touch, along with the cash. I've done it both ways.......with a thank you note and also just handing them the cash. I always leave the auto-tips on my account.

The auto-tips are added onto your S&S account the first day you board the ship. So in that sense, yes, they are all paid. They are not included in the price of your cruise....I might be reading your post wrong, but just wanted you to know that the tips are in addition to the price of your cruise.

You have the option to pre-pay your tips prior to the cruise....I did that for our NYE sailing in Dec.

Thanks

The tips added to your S&S account are only $10.00 per person per day. Of that amount only $1.00 is pooled for the buffet staff. The remaining $9.00 is split up among the EXACT people that service YOUR room for YOU and the EXACT people that serve YOU at YOUR table in the dining room. If you decide that those exact people are doing a poor job, HIGHLY UNLIKELY, you may go to the Purser ANYTIME up to and including the final day and adjust the tips to whatever you want. Understand that 80 to 90+% of all people that adjust the tips FOR ANY CLAIMED REASON, do not tip anyone anything. They are pure out and out cheapskates. Do you wish to be thought of in that group for the duration of your cruise? I sure wouldn't want to be. And be sure, officially or unofficially the crew WILL KNOW.

Dan

I have never understood why people want to go and stand in a long line at the Purser's desk and take all that valuable time from their cruise just to adjust tips! :confused: Just makes things more complicated than they need to be. Prepayment of the tips is so easy and simple, and then you can always give them extra cash at the end of the cruise if you deem fit.

Archived