Tipping question.......

luvmygirlz

They call it a service fee on NCL or something to that effect. I would always pay it, but I am put off by it and I think they should just add it into the cost of the cruise upfront. They do it with the fuel surcharge. As for Carnival, we removed our auto tips and paid in cash last year. We also tipped many of our other servers. Perhaps we're just old school or maybe it just gives us a good reason to be able to hand it to the server and let them know how special they made our trip :)

You could leave the auto tip and put a few EXTRA dollars in a thank you card to let them know how special they made your trip. I'm still not understanding why you had to take the tips off. Did you tip less to your standard servers so you could tip extra to the others?

Woo-Hoo... I win. My wife and I were discussing your unique name and I thought it was in reference to two daughters... and she thought your name may be in reference to a boob job... :D

that's "heluvsmygirlz"

Dear Fellow CC Posters....

I wanted to apologize for the can of worms I opened with my original post. I never dreamed it was such a touchy subject. When I originally asked if it was possible to stop the automated tips, I truly did not know Carnival's policy on this. I have not cruised much, and this will be my first with Carnival. We have always just seen the system of "the recommended amount" and envelopes, but we have always left more than that and have always tipped our room steward on the first day. I just wanted to make sure that "our" crew was taken care of properly, I did not understand things could be adjusted with the purser. I have learned a lot from everyone here and I want to assure you that I will be tipping and tipping well.

Thanks again for all the input!

Dear Fellow CC Posters....

Thanks again for all the input!

You're good. It's really not a shot against you... it's always a fun heated subject to post to. Most of these threads eventually get deleted by the Moderators.

People post because no one likes a cheap B***rd. And it's always fun to hear the cheap B***rd's try to convince folks they are not.

And there are always the enablers that like to help the cheap B***rd's along, even though the enablers never reduce the TIP's, but just leave them in place. They try to come across as even minded people... but they are enablers just the same.

Glad you posted this... it was a fun ride. :)

Your auto tips are added to your S&S card or you can pay it ahead of time. That is all they expect and you are not obligated to pay more.

Of course giving more than the auto-tip is not expected nor required. However, it is certainly appropriate and definitely appreciated if the service received warrants it..

A nutcase:D :D

Now Kirban, not everyone who disagrees with you is a flippo.

In fact some might think that the apathetic souls of the world who believe that anything that doesn't directly involve them is not their concern, are the flippo's.

Even forgetting any moral duty to pay for services recieved...........

people who do not carry their fair share will eventually cost those who do more money to make up the difference. The crew has to be paid somehow.

You're good. It's really not a shot against you... it's always a fun heated subject to post to. Most of these threads eventually get deleted by the Moderators.

People post because no one likes a cheap B***rd. And it's always fun to hear the cheap B***rd's try to convince folks they are not.

And there are always the enablers that like to help the cheap B***rd's along, even though the enablers never reduce the TIP's, but just leave them in place. They try to come across as even minded people... but they are enablers just the same.

Glad you posted this... it was a fun ride. :)

VentureMan.. please be careful. I got reprimanded for the *** in a word much more milder that your B word. My family was hysterical when I told them I got in trouble on a message board.

VentureMan.. please be careful. I got reprimanded for the *** in a word much more milder that your B word. My family was hysterical when I told them I got in trouble on a message board.

I had my hand slapped for this as well... :cool:

Now Kirban, not everyone who disagrees with you is a flippo.

In fact some might think that the apathetic souls of the world who believe that anything that doesn't directly involve them is not their concern, are the flippo's.

Even forgetting any moral duty to pay for services recieved...........

people who do not carry their fair share will eventually cost those who do more money to make up the difference. The crew has to be paid somehow.

It is Kurbanfan not Kirban:p

It has nothing to do with who agree's with me or not....

When a newbie has a question about tips.....here come the flippos:p

I was sort of expecting the tipping was all paid, but I guess you are saying if someone goes above and beyond what you expect you would want to tip more.

...but would it be nice to take a couple of little cards (maybe thank you cards) to put any extra tips in and write a message if you felt appropriate?

Absolutely, very nice. :)

And like Trok said, don't forget the Comment card!!!

I had my hand slapped for this as well... :cool:

:( me too. I wasn't even in a hot discussion. I expressed surprised and screamed 'HOLY' and used **** those things and now I have a reprimand in my profile for life.

so yeah...be careful, posters. Two stikes and you're out (so I've been warned)

:( me too. I wasn't even in a hot discussion. I expressed surprised and screamed 'HOLY' and used **** those things and now I have a reprimand in my profile for life.

so yeah...be careful, posters. Two stikes and you're out (so I've been warned)

I wouldn't sweat it, some of been resurrected at least 3 times. ;)

It is Kurbanfan not Kirban:p

It has nothing to do with who agree's with me or not....

When a newbie has a question about tips.....here come the flippos:p

but my definition of a flippo is someone who automatically takes their tips off before experiencing the service. I think on these types of "flippos" come out in full force trying to get the newbie to join the "dark side" or as other posters have stated ("not me" said innocently) join the "cheap" side.

Archived