Just back - Liberty of the Seas with a 15 month old

GatorGirl

We had a great cruise with my DD. To answer the questions I had before I cruised:

Yes, they have whole milk and skim milk. It was available 24 hours a day at the Cafe Promenade

They do have pack n plays for you to use. The one we used was a Evenflo pack n play. The "mattress" was super hard, so my DH wrapped the mattress with a soft blanket and then we put the sheet over the blanket. My DD slept fine.

We were able to get our food requests by talking to the head waiter. My DD is very picky and only eats certain foods, like cheese cubes. As soon as we sat at our dinner table, our waiter had the cheese cubes. It was very helpful.

I advise that you pack a sound machine to block noise. In our cabin, the doors rattled and you could hear doors slamming. We had the sound machine on the entire time my DH slept. It really helped to block out the noise.

If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them!

I'd like to know if you'd do it again. We're going with our 13 month old... still a little nervous.

The answer to that question is subjective depending on the actual person responding to the question.

DH and I have cruised with DS 3 times. The first time me was 5.5 months old, the second time he was 9 months old and this last time he was 16 months old. We are planning a transatlantic with DS and new baby when new baby is 12 months old. Obviously we have found cruising and infants agreeable for our family.

Some other posters might tell you to wait until your kids are older.

It's really a personal thing.....

Such humor so early in the morning! You must have already had your coffee!!

:D :D :D

Yes I already had my gallon of iced tea by that point. :D

sunquest76 - We started cruising with my kids younger than 13 months...and we're still here. :D Just don't expect too much...go with the flow and try not to worry.

I'd like to know if you'd do it again. We're going with our 13 month old... still a little nervous.

I know this wasn't directed to me...but thought I'd answer...

We cruised when DS was 11 months and am going again this week when he's 17 months. He's a VERY active baby....we kept our expectations low for the vacation, yet we had a fabulous time!!!

I can let you know in a couple weeks if we'll do it again after this trip ;)

I want more!!!

We're heading out on the Liberty of the Seas Western Carribbean in December with out them 21 month old. It will be her second cruise, but the first as a 'toddler'.

I know you mentioned whole and skim milk being available, but is 2% available as well?

Yes, I would do it again. You just have to be prepared for a different type of vacation. My DH and I have done many cruises before my DD was born. Those cruises were all about relaxing on the pool deck, enjoying long dinners and staying up late. This cruise was more about spending time together. We did the Fisher-Price activity, swam in the baby pool, ate a fast dinner in the main dining room and were in our cabin by 8pm. We were in the presidental family suite so we were lucky that my parents and my sister's family were also in our suite. My family rotated babysitting so we had 4 nights of fun.

The milk options were skim, whole and vitamin D. I'm not sure if the vitamin D milk was 2% or whole.

My sister's kids are 4. They loved the Adventure Ocean program. My sister liked it also because it gave her and her husband alone time.

At 6am you pretty much had the ship to yourself. I did lots of walks along the promenade and also laps around deck 4. My DD liked to be outside and she loved the helicopter pad b/c it was so windy.

We didn't do any excursions with my daughter. My DH and I did the zipline tour in Mobay Jamica. At Grand Caymans, we all went to the 7 mile beach. At Cozumel, we just wandered around the stores that were right at the pier. We didn't want to do two beach days in a row. My DD and I didn't get off the boat at Labadee b/c she was running a fever.

We love cruising with an infant, we took dd at 7mo, 12mo, 18mo, 24mo, 27mo and almost 3yrs. Obviously we love it!!! We have always found it to be a great way to travel with infants, we cruised pre-baby too and of course its nothing like cruising without kids, relaxing in the sun all day without a care in the world, but then nothing in your life is the same after having a child. Its a very easy vacation since your cabin is always close by, food is always available and there are plenty of things to do and look at. Our DD is so mezmerized by everything around her. We took grandparents on the last 2 cruises and that was even better, having a little more down time for DH and I. We cant wait to cruise with our new baby due in Dec next yr.

Julie

We love cruising with an infant, we took dd at 7mo, 12mo, 18mo, 24mo, 27mo and almost 3yrs. Obviously we love it!!! We have always found it to be a great way to travel with infants, we cruised pre-baby too and of course its nothing like cruising without kids, relaxing in the sun all day without a care in the world, but then nothing in your life is the same after having a child. Its a very easy vacation since your cabin is always close by, food is always available and there are plenty of things to do and look at. Our DD is so mezmerized by everything around her. We took grandparents on the last 2 cruises and that was even better, having a little more down time for DH and I. We cant wait to cruise with our new baby due in Dec next yr.

Julie

you mean Dec this year.....I hope!!! :eek::confused:

• 11 months later...

bumping up this old thread with a question for GatorGirl (or anyone who knows the answer):

I am cruising in a few weeks on Freedom in the Presidential Suite with a 17 month old. Any advice about a toddler in the suite? Did you do any meals in the room? Was a high chair available? I know usually in a stateroom there are not many outlets to worry about, is the same true in the PS? DD has discovered outlets recently and always looks for them when we are out and about, I have outlet covers in my current pile of things to take- do I need them?

We just upgraded to the PS yesterday and this weekend the family is going to sit down and claim rooms, is there a specific one I should aim for with a PnP for DD?

Thanks for the help. Sorry about all the questions. Just when I was feeling calm and totally in control, everything changed and I am trying to regain my footing.

This is just the thread I needed to read tonight! :D We're (hopefully my DH can go... we won't know until November/December) taking our baby - he'll be 14 months on the cruise) - on the Freedom of the Seas in January. Although I'm really excited about going, there is always the thought in the back of my mind that I'm headed for trouble. ;) I keep telling myself that if I can do Disney with a 6 month old, exclusively breast fed baby and a 4 year old withOUT my DH, then I can certainly do a cruise. As others have said, my expectations are to have no expectations. :D At any rate, I'm so glad to read that others have enjoyed their experience.

We just got back from the Liberty with 16 month and 3 yr old. They have high chairs in Windjammer and main dining room. Just ask the waiter and they're more than willing to help. The Fisher-Price playgroup was AWESOME. 2-3 times a day depending on whether at sea or in port. Gave DS a place to run around and play with all kinds of toys. You can also sign out toys for playing in the room.

Adventure Ocean was ok. DD who's in daycare didn't find it that much fun. I think it has to do with the counselors, they all looked tired - maybe overworked - and looked a bit too happy to see me when I came to pick her up.

DH and I too have cruise pre-kids and it is definitely a different kind of vacation. We didn't have high expectations going in either but we all had a good time. We went with my parents who're in their 70s so they weren't able to help much with babysitting per se, but was able to watch my 16 month old sleep while DH and I did the Rock Wall.

Have a great cruise.

Archived