No more Gala Midnight Buffet

jamon

Just off Glory as well:D We went to the Mexican late night buffet (on Lido deck) before the deck party, I think it started at 11:30. I was the best food we had all week, way better than the gala buffet.

Also, we DID have the chocolate buffet. It was not well advertised just "taste of nations:Chocolate" nothing to write home about taste wise either. I was disappointed. I had missed it on my last 2 sailings and had high expectations!

Was on the Miracle 9/14 - we were told the gala buffet ended the week before. No big deal...never made them anyway. The chocolate buffet was in the afternoon (12 noon to 3 pm) on the Lido the 6th day of our sailing. Nothing to write home about. I will have to try the Mexican buffet next year...have missed that too!

I will have to try the Mexican buffet next year...have missed that too!

I've made that one before. What is truely funny is that this was when we were cruising the Mexican Riviera... anf the food in the buffet has an appearance of Mexican food... but did not even come close... didn't even come close to tasting a good as Taco Bell... not even as good as a Jack in the Box Taco... :eek:

Living in California and eating out in the bazillian Mexican restaurants and Taqueria's, I have a very good feel for even what mediocre Mexican food should taste like... and the ship didn't even come close.

Unless the other ships use a different recipe... you did not miss out on a thing.

I actually think that's probably a good idea...we too have only every taken pictures...and then only briefly...not really a time for big eating for us. If you need a late night snack...there's room service or pizza...those always work for us!

We sailed in August on the 4-day Victory, and I noticed neither buffets were available. I thought it was because it was a short cruise, though I've been to the gala buffet on a 4-day cruise before.

I've gone 3 times, but never sampled the food--just took pictures. One time, the boat was rocking quite a bit, so I didn't want to eat anything, and the other 2 times the line was extremely long. We waited 45 minutes just to take pictures. By the time we were done with that, the first people in the line were already beginning to eat. Instead, we ended up getting the pizza!:)

I will miss it, eventhough we didn't eat any of the food last time. To me that Gala is part of the "experience" of being on a cruise. It is excess in food (waste?) but it is still the experience. Where else do you see something like that?

Take away the afternoon tea, also; not that many show up any way.

Stop that meet the Captain bit; we didn't meet him the last time after chasing him for 30 minutes and didn't get our champagne.:confused:

We sailed in August on the 4-day Victory, and I noticed neither buffets were available. I thought it was because it was a short cruise, though I've been to the gala buffet on a 4-day cruise before.

We were on Victory on 8/18 and they did have the gala buffet on the 5-day. I have pictures at http://travel.webshots.com/album/565656926QRtaQb?start=168

Take away the afternoon tea, also; not that many show up any way.

Also on Victory last month - we went for afternoon tea, arrived a few minutes early, and there wasn't a seat left in the lounge!

I'm another one who liked taking pictures but never hung around for the food. If I eat that late at night, I don't sleep well. On Legend in 2006, we went to the midnight sail-away party when we left San Juan; after two tacos and a couple of blue Margaritas, I woke up at 3 a.m. feeling as if someone was doing the Mexican hat dance somewhere inside me!:eek:

I have just returned from the Ecstasy and the afternoon chocolate buffet is gone too.. That I missed!... And when I asked my server what night was creme brulee, she said it wasn't offered on 5 day sailings anymore.. I have seen some say they had it on 5 day, but not us..

What next?:rolleyes:

I didn't see the creme brulee on the menu back in August either. We were on a 5 day cruise. I sure did miss it! :(

Our buffet was on the Formal night (Jan 08). I was stuffed, and couldn't imagine another big plate of food. Granted I did take pictures and it was all fruit, cheese and desserts, so it wasn't like heavy food, but still who wants to go back and eat that much more food. I might have done it on another night, but not formal night.

I have always wondered why they chose to have it on Formal night. Didn't make any sense to me because everyone is already stuffed from the Lobsters.

I don't think the Gala Buffet will be missed that much. It was a bigger deal before they started having the 24 hr pizza and stuff. The midnight buffet was the only food you could eat after dinner was served. Now, they have food all the time. I agree too that the gala buffet food usually looked better than it tasted. As long as they don't get rid of the warm chocolate cake!!!

Imagine this: 24 hour "warm chocolate melting cake!"

Archived