FORMAL NIGHTS on 15 Day RT Golden to Hawaii??

peggyann1216

Those of you who have already sailed on the Golden 15 Day RT to Hawaii, do any of you remember when the formal nights were scheduled. I'm presuming there will be 3 and will fall on the Sea Days. Also presuming the last one will be the night before we get to Ensenada. Thanks for any info.

Hi, Peggyann1216,

How soon are you going? I'm boarding tomorrow, and can answer your question accurately when I get back on the 15th. And, by the way, this cruise is now 14 days. They removed Kona from the ports, so we only have 4 ports in Hawaii now.

Having done this twice before on the Island, I will miss Kona. But any cruise is better than none, I always say.

Wish I could remember when the formal nights were back then, but I don't. And with packing today, I don't have time to try to find old patters to see.

I'll let you know when we get back.

I don't think that the Golden begins that itinerary until later this week, she is just repositioning to San Pedro right now. Based on last years experience on the Diamond when it was 15 days, there will be 3 formal nights, they will will be on seadays, and the last one will be the night before you arrive in Ensenada, however, in our case that was New Year's Eve which may have had some bearing on the choice of the night.

I don't think that the Golden begins that itinerary until later this week, she is just repositioning to San Pedro right now. Based on last years experience on the Diamond when it was 15 days, there will be 3 formal nights, they will will be on seadays, and the last one will be the night before you arrive in Ensenada, however, in our case that was New Year's Eve which may have had some bearing on the choice of the night.

I'm on the Golden this year for Christmas/New Year's Eve. Do you recall what Princess did for these occasions last year? Did you have deck parties and was everyone very dressy?

I'm on the Golden this year for Christmas/New Year's Eve. Do you recall what Princess did for these occasions last year? Did you have deck parties and was everyone very dressy?

My family and I will be on the Golden with you this Christmas. We also were on the Diamond with Frank (Putterdude) and his lovely wife last year. They are wonderful people.

Being onboard during the holidays is special. The ship was beautifully decorated, they had "snow" falling in the atrium on several evenings and there were many special Christmas/New Year activities such as:

• Christmas crafts (pins, wreaths, bookmarks, etc.)

• Gingerbread House building competition judged by the Captain and Chef

• "Gift of the Magi" Special Holiday Production Show just for this cruise

• Caroling in the Atrium

• Virtual Fireplace on our Stateroom TV with constant Christmas music

• Christmas movies

• Christmas eve and Christmas morning religious services

• Holiday Fun Fair for kids (cookie decorating, games, face painting) and most importantly a visit from Santa Claus with a nice present for each child.

• New Year's Eve festivities all over the ship with hats, streamers, horns, champagne and balloon drop in the atrium. It was formal night and people really dressed beautifully.

I can't wait to enjoy Christmas and New Year's Eve/Day onboard again this year!

We sailed on Dawn Princess this year for New Year's Eve and, let me tell you, it was one of the best New Year's parties I've ever attended! The ship was still decorated from Christmas, we had snow every night, everyone on the ship was in quite the jovial mood, our captain was very personable and walked the ship greeting everyone... it was a blast! The party was in the Atrium... it was, of course, formal night (but I changed after dinner :p, my suit was a bit tight...) and be sure to get there early to get a good spot and be prepared for a great time.

Here's a link to a short video that I took during the countdown.

New Year's Eve - 12-31-2007

Thanks all.......and, Goodie2shoes, we are sailing on Golden on Nov. 26th this year, and you are right, 4 Islands, and not 15 days. HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!! I know you will!! Post me when you get back home!

Oh, and apparently the major reason that they changed from 15 days to 14 days is that it locks the itinerary down. They'll always be in LA on a

Wednesday... Also, the Golden Princess can sail the entire trip on one fueling... no bunkering in Hawai'i.

Oh, and apparently the major reason that they changed from 15 days to 14 days is that it locks the itinerary down. They'll always be in LA on a

Wednesday... Also, the Golden Princess can sail the entire trip on one fueling... no bunkering in Hawai'i.

Well that is not necessarily correct as I am on the oct. 25,2009 cruise to hawaii on the Golden and we leave from L.A. on a Sunday and come back on a Sunday. Maybe that Wed. schedule is for 2008-09 schedule as obviously 2009-2010 schedule is different.

marilyn

You are right, Marilyn. That's why we chose to cruise again in 2008-2009. In the fall of 2009 they change to Sunday departures, which puts you in Kauai, if I remember correctly, on a Sunday. Now, having been in Hilo on a Sunday in the past, I can tell you that they really roll up the sidewalks. We couldn't even find a cafe for lunch.

I figured Kauai would probably a lot like that, and so we booked for this season, before they change the schedule.

We are not in port on a Sunday at all, which is just fine with me. Too much closed that day.

Well that is not necessarily correct as I am on the oct. 25,2009 cruise to hawaii on the Golden and we leave from L.A. on a Sunday and come back on a Sunday. Maybe that Wed. schedule is for 2008-09 schedule as obviously 2009-2010 schedule is different.

marilyn

Allrighty... what I quoted WAS for the 2008-2009 season. The point was that they want to have the ship dock on the same day of the week every two weeks. :)

Allrighty... what I quoted WAS for the 2008-2009 season. The point was that they want to have the ship dock on the same day of the week every two weeks. :)

It's unfortunate that in order to do that they sullied the itinerary by dropping Kona. It makes sense that having a 14 day itinerary would be better (although for people sailing, its no more convenient for work schedules), but Kona was one of the best of the ports. I know that Hilo is the gateway to the Volcanoes National Park - and it would be a logistical nightmare to try to get there from Kona - but compared to Kona, that's about all there is there. Kauai could have also been a better candidate to drop.

Regarding the original question, on the 15 day Hawaii trips I've been on, formal nights have been the first sea day, the sea day after the last Hawaiian port and the last sea day before Ensenada.

It's unfortunate that in order to do that they sullied the itinerary by dropping Kona. It makes sense that having a 14 day itinerary would be better (although for people sailing, its no more convenient for work schedules), but Kona was one of the best of the ports. I know that Hilo is the gateway to the Volcanoes National Park - and it would be a logistical nightmare to try to get there from Kona - but compared to Kona, that's about all there is there. Kauai could have also been a better candidate to drop.

Couldn't agree with you more! :p

We sail on the 29th of Oct. We have several friends who live in Kona and I am familiar with the great places to see; can easily drive everywhere there and I am sad that my first cruise to Hawaii dropped Kona. Lots of fun, there. boo hoo. Have seen the Volcanoe so what to do in Hilo, not much. sailinsal

I tend to agree with you as well and I know that we are off topic...but in my mind they could have dropped Hilo and kept Kauai.

Archived