best way to tour...

brown28

Please consider hiring a driver for the day.

The last time we were in Cozumel, my family hired a driver right off the pier. We explained what we wanted to do, negotiated a price and off we went.

He took us on a quick ride around San Miguel, then we went to see the ruins at San Gervasio. You can usually do this tour in 1-1.5 hours. We then toured the east side of Cozumel (Mezcalito, Chen Rio, Coconuts, El Mirador, etc.). LOTS of great spots for quiet relaxation, photo opportunities, adult/non alcoholic beverages before ending up at Paradise Beach. After that, our driver took us back downtown for a bit of shopping before heading back to our ship. We had a terrific time.

There are lots of reasons hiring a driver might be a good fit. You get to see Cozumel through the eyes of a resident. Someone who knows where everything is. It was like meeting a new friend who gave us the inside scoop. You can set up a customized tour. See and do what you want without wasting any time on things that don't quite interest you. If you plan to drink alcohol, you don't have to worry about designating a driver during your adventures. The advantages to hiring a driver are many.

Check out this thread for details: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=545681

Since I am traveling solo I thought a tour would be best for me. I found a Highlights Island Tour through Island Marketing that sounds better than the excursion RCCL offers. Has anyone had any experience with Island Marketing?

If hiring a driver is not an option for you do to $$ they have van tours $35pp which stop at the ruins ($6pp) then head down the east side of the island. Having been to Coz numerous time I basically told the driver that the group wants to visit Mezcalitos, Coconuts, Chen Rio, El Mirador before heading to Paridise Beach. The others on the tours did not know what they were getting into because they fell for the sales pitch. After the tour completed they thanked me because they saw more then what they were going to get. The only reason we took this tour is because our driver for the day got into an accident before we arrived and his cab totaled. There will be plenty of people hawking tours as you leave the ship just make sure you ask where you will be going and how much. Be aggressive and tell them where you want to visit on the east side.

I didn't want to hire a driver because since I am traveling solo I'd rather tour with a group. The tour I'm considering is $30pp and it will visit El Cedral (30min), Tequila Farm (40min), Coconuts Bar (40min) and then the city tour. How does that sound? I just want to see the island so I thought it was a better choice than what RCCL offers. :confused:

atm55: you will be able to tour the island based on the tour you mentioned. Make sure they stop off at El Mirador, Chen Rio and Mezacalitos for some photos. 30mins at El Cedral is a long time when you only need 15mins. The food at Coconuts is really good and the view is from the highest point on the island. No matter how you look at it you will be driving around the island because the Tequilla Farm is on the transverse road between town and the east side. Was there mention on stopping off at the ruins of San Gervasio? No matter what tour you end up taking you will have plenty of time to walk around town before getting back to the ship.

Archived