Prinsendam outside categories

CruisinD

Aside from location, are there any differences in the outside categories? (non-balcony) Are some cabins more "updated" than others? Some sites mention a range of size (mimimal difference); which are the larger?

I am thinking of a transatlantic. Does the ship ride well for this? Any other tips? We've been on most of the other ship classes except this and the Vista class.

Denise

We were in C203 on the Prinsendam in September. We had booked a C-guarantee.

I think 201 and 203 are bigger (and the corresponding even-numbered cabins) but the rub is that they're WAY in the front and you can't get onto the deck without going back to the center of the ship.

The cabin was reasonable, furnished about like a small Holiday Inn room.

lane

We were in C203 on the Prinsendam in September. We had booked a C-guarantee.

I think 201 and 203 are bigger (and the corresponding even-numbered cabins) but the rub is that they're WAY in the front and you can't get onto the deck without going back to the center of the ship.

The cabin was reasonable, furnished about like a small Holiday Inn room.

lane

Can you tell me how this ship rides compared to the larger ones? We have book

the Amazon 26 day cruise and I am nervous about getting sea sick. We have been cruising the mega ships.

Thanks, BJ

We have twice sailed in cabin C222 and found it quite spacious. First time new carpeting had just been installed and second time the sink had been updated. Location of the cabin is ideal, just steps from the promenade deck and handy access to other areas of the ship. We sailed her Transatlantic this past Spring and found the ship very stable.

We have twice sailed in cabin C222 and found it quite spacious. First time new carpeting had just been installed and second time the sink had been updated. Location of the cabin is ideal, just steps from the promenade deck and handy access to other areas of the ship. We sailed her Transatlantic this past Spring and found the ship very stable.

Just a quick hello to my dear friend Jasl.:) Jasl has a good deal of time on the Prinsendam and should know well how the ship rides in open seas! :cool:

We have just returned from our great 13 day Black Sea cruise on the Prinsendam. We did have one very rough night and she rode very well. I did not hear of anyone being sick, though I noticed quite a few passengers wore patches the whole time. The rest of the cruise the sea was like glass.

You will love her and her crew. The food is the best we have eaten on HAL and the crew are very attentive. The Captain is fantastic. He is the original Captain who watched the ship being built. His name is Haile Thon Gundersen from Norway. We visited Split which was a first for the ship and probably HAL and Captain Gundersen came on our tour bus to see the sights. He has a wonderful sense of humour and is very personable. Of course I think he is terrific as he is married to another Aussie!

Jennie

BJ.. HELLO, I see Aussie Gal has already given you a great report on the Prinsendam, but I'll give you our experience as well. We have sailed her in Australia, New Zealand, Europe and a Transatlantic, so a few different seas have been involved. While one can never predict what the weather and/or seas will bring, the crossing between NZ and Australia, the Tasman Sea, is supposedly quite turbulent and of course, the Atlantic/North Sea can also blow up quite a storm. We did experience a few rough nights, but the Prinsendam rode the waves very well.

Jennie mentioned the "patch" for sea sickness, but I have read that if one is on medications, it can interfere with those and make other problems. If you are concerned about that, check out some of the threads on the subject of sea sickness and many contributors on the board have given excellent remedies.

Alas, on our last voyage Captain Gundersen was on his vacation, but we also have experienced his charm and wit.

Happy planning and enjoy your cruise

Thank you for the information. We are sailing on RCC Mariner for Thanksgiving, but I am really looking forward to the Prinsendam's 26 day R/T Ft. Lauderdale to the Amazon. It has been a while since we sailed HAL and if it is still as good as I remember, I know it will be great. But then, of all our cruises, I can only remember one that I was not happy with.

Again Thanks. BJ

Jasl,

I can concurr with you as the Tasman Sea can be very wild and if the Prinsendam was riding well then it is a good ship in stormy weather.

I don't suffer from seasickness so have never worn a patch but as I mentioned there were quite a few with them on. Otherwise if you went to the front desk the staff were handing out some sort of anti seasickness tablet gratis. Apparently headache tablets are also free.

Jennie.

I will be on Prinsendam's transatlantic crossing next week, maybe I can give some feedback afterwards. I have no idea what the conditions are right now on the atlantic but I guess I will know soon. :-)

Myself, I never had any problems with seasickness until now. For my friend, I bought a seaband as well as ginger powder and some homeopathic tablets, we'll see if they work...

Marc

We were in C223 on the Promenade Deck and enjoyed it thoroughly. It was very convenient to the dining room and the Ocean Bar, the front office (1 flight up), a good walk to the Lido Deck and Crow's Nest (had to wear off the food somehow!), and we had a beautiful view from our window. Privacy was never an issue during the daytime. I went outside and tried, really tried to look in and it was almost impossible - the only way was if I put my face right up to the window and shaded my eyes - then I could only barely make out the interior of the cabin. However, I didn't try it in the dark, that could be a different matter! We found the Prinsendam a very stable ship - we had one evening with some rocking and rolling, but nothing bad enough to create actual seasickness. Enjoy her!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Thanks to all of you. With such glowing reports, I can hardly wait to board her. It will be quite awhile as we are booked for the Nov. 2005 Amazon River R/T from Ft. Lauderdale. We are really looking forward to being back on HAL. Have done quite a few RCC voyager class and the Princess Grand and Sun and the new Island.

Archived