Concierge tip

Wow, I thought I was tipping nicely. I don't understand the large amounts that y'all have been tipping. What is it that the concierge has been doing for you? Why so much? (I'm honestly asking...no sarcasm here)

thanks

Wow, I thought I was tipping nicely. I don't understand the large amounts that y'all hae been tipping. What is it that the concierge has been doing for you? Why so much? (I'm honestly asking...no sarcasm here)

thanks

I kinda agree with your statement. We really didn't know how much to tip the first time we used the lounge, so we gave $40 ($20 a piece or slightly less than $3 a day pp). I figured that if everyone tipped that amount, the concierge would be making a very nice income per year considering the number of people using it.

Of course not everyone tips, but I don't feel that we should make up for the ones that don't. There has probably been at least 50 people using the lounge while we have been there, so multiply that times $20 each and they are making $1,000 a week minimum (if everyone tipped which isn't the case though)

It really comes down to how much you can afford and feel like tipping based on average or extra service that you may have received. Some people use the service and never tip, go figure.

[/color]

Well, we have had a few, infact on our first cruise back on RCI after a 10 year break, I was appalled at our room attendant...besides finding human hair all over our balcony and a dirty telephone at embarkcation...on the last night I had put his tip envelope inside a closed cupboard and he actually took it out...

WE have taken 6 RCI cruises since then most have been gracious, but others have been????????????

Why would you put his tip envelope inside a closed cupboard on the last night? Perhaps that might explain the less than gracious attitude that you have noted from some of the staff you have encountered.:rolleyes:

Why would you put his tip envelope inside a closed cupboard on the last night? Perhaps that might explain the less than gracious attitude that you have noted from some of the staff you have encountered.:rolleyes:

Perhaps the poster intended to leave the tip in the morning or after dinner. I doubt that the intent was to cause a scavenger hunt. And the steward had no business going in there and taking it out.

Wow, I thought I was tipping nicely. I don't understand the large amounts that y'all have been tipping. What is it that the concierge has been doing for you? Why so much? (I'm honestly asking...no sarcasm here)

thanks

Not every thing you read on these boards are accurate, some people exaggerate, keep that in mind

I thanks you for your words of comfort and explanation. I feel better now. I do enjoy tipping for good service. I remember when I was young, how much I enjoyed being rewarded for my extra efforts and love to pass that feeling on.

• 1 month later...

thanks

On the cruise we just finished the Concierge advised us and booked all of our excursions, booked our spa appointments, took care of putting our tips on our sea pass account, took care of our luggage valet, etc.

I know alot of people will say that you don't need a concierge to do those things but it was so incredibly convenient.

And....on half the nights the conciege was the one making our drinks.

If you have thm perform a service for you, tip them what you'll feel it's worth. If you don't need them to do anything special for you, no tip is needed. The concierge is a well-paid employee. No tip is suggested, as none is required.
I agree completely :D

Not last time,anyway...

First cruise as Diamond. I won't mention the Concierge because many seem to love the guy.

The first time I went to the CL, he walked right by me to greet a couple he seemed to know well who entered well after I did.

The next time, he accused me of sneaking in!!!!....I had to prove I was a Diamond member!....I guess I look too young to have reached diamond status ( I should feel complimented) or something.

He didn't get a tip...he got a blazing review on the comment card!

Will try again next cruise...different ship....and I'll tip according to the level of service we receive.

I have to agree with some of the others about the amounts per day. Why do you all feel the concierge is worth so much more than your waiter or room steward? I am sorry but we are in the lounge maybe 1-2 hours in the evening for a couple of drinks which take about 5 minutes tops for them to prepare and deliver. Where does this generate such a larger tip than your waiter who probably takes 15 minutes total per meal to do everything for each passenger? The waiter tips are also to cover all those when you don't dine in the dining room. Just because we get free drinks should not be a reason to tip, the drink cost does not come out of the concierge's salary.

Steve-O, I know what you mean. We had a similar experience. Like you, I will not mention his name. Went into the concierge lounge, introduced ourselves. Got a nod from him and he walked away. Okay, give him another chance. Next day went in to just get some coffee. Not a word from him and before I could get the coffee he was out the door.

Rather than stay in the cramped concierge room each afternoon we went instead to the lounge used for diamond members. We never returned to the concierge lounge. What a different atmosphere in the 'diamond' lounge. Several people we met there said that the concierge lounge was empty each evening.

Needless to say, we did not tip the concierge, but the diamond concierge and the waiters there got very nice tips from both of us.

Happy travels:)

I have to agree with some of the others about the amounts per day.

Some people have the means and love to tip. I have always found that a private matter. Our last RCI cruise we had a suite so had lounge privileges. The couple times we stepped in it was packed so just left. No tip, no worry.

We do not like crowds, so we found a quiet place for a pre supper cocktail.

Archived