What to pack for a trip around the world

new_cruiser

Perhpas some of you might like to see what Nellie Bly packed for her trip around the world in 1889. Since she was trying to beat the fictional Phileas Fogg's 80 days she only packed one bag.
[QUOTE]One never knows the capacity of an ordinary hand-satchel until dire necessity compels the exercise of all one's ingenuity to reduce every thing to the smallest possible compass. In mine I was able to pack two traveling caps, three veils, a pair of slippers, a complete outfit of toilet articles, ink-stand, pens, pencils, and copy-paper, pins, needles and thread, a dressing gown, a tennis blazer, a small flask and a drinking cup, several complete changes of underwear, a liberal supply of handkerchiefs and fresh ruchings and most bulky and uncompromising of all, a jar of cold cream to keep my face from chapping in the varied climates I should encounter.
That jar of cold cream was the bane of my existence. It seemed to take up more room than everything else in the bag and was always getting into just the place that would keep me from closing the satchel. Over my arm I carried a silk waterproof, the only provision I made against rainy weather. After-experience showed me that I had taken too much rather than too little baggage. At every port where I stopped at I could have bought anything from a ready-made dress down, except possibly at Aden, and as I did not visit the shops there I cannot speak from knowledge. [/QUOTE]
from AROUND THE WORLD IN SEVENTY-TWO DAYS.
[url]http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/bly/world/world.html[/url]

Wow. How times have changed. So far I have three steamer trunks, 2 suitcases and three carry ons. I'm up to eight sportscoats, two tuxes, 20 dress shirts, 10 pair slacks, 5 pairs of shoes, and toiletries for 4 months. Plus I'm bringing some things to personalize my suite. Pillows for the sofa, lap blacket, etc. computer, printer, Ipod, cd's and dvd's.:eek:

[quote name='WorldCruise2005']. . . So far I have three steamer trunks, 2 suitcases and three carry ons. I'm up to eight sportscoats, two tuxes, 20 dress shirts, 10 pair slacks, 5 pairs of shoes, and toiletries for 4 months. Plus I'm bringing some things to personalize my suite. Pillows for the sofa, lap blacket, etc. computer, printer, Ipod, cd's and dvd's.:eek:[/QUOTE]

Wow, I don't think I own that many clothes and I'm female! Don't forget, the Mariner has free self-serve laundry. But for full WC'ers, I'd think one of the perks they should offer is free laundry and dry cleaning service! Good for you that RSSC picks up your luggage ahead of time.

We are planning to pack as if we were going on a 2-3 week cruise with lots of recycling and make good use of the Voyager's laundry room. Since we will be in various climate, I will need to take clothes for both warm and cooler climates.
It won't be too much longer now....2 months!

Hey Marcie:

The countdown and the packing continues. I hope to narrow down the clothes but even for two weeks you need daytime, nighttime and for most something to wear to bed... Is the laundry room as much of a nighmare as I have read here?
Maybe I should leave some of the books at home. Was planning on catching up on my reading. Is that realistic or will w be too busy having fun for reading?
PAUL:cool:

Paul, on this cruise, I would think you will have time to do ANYTHING you want to do, including reading on those many sea days. I think you will find the library very well stocked, and there will undoubtedly be borrowing going on amongst the passengers. That luggage thing is a kicker for me. Knowing that you can send so much ahead by merely packing it and having them pick it up and delivering it to the ship is a real lure. Not so sure I would be as discliplined as Marcie, given the extra allowance. I have to say, I always fill my suitcase no matter how long the cruise, just in case I need it! No doubt, you will have to spend some of the time in those self-service laundry rooms, unless you are willing to pay the price to have certain items laundered at a very inflated price! Go there, you will have a great time chatting with the people there, I have found when I go in to iron!

We not only have to pack for "nighttime/daytime", "warm weather/cool weather", but also for "waistline variance". I usually put on an average of a half inch per month on a cruise. Anybody that brings a sewing machine will be pretty popular.
CRUISEGUY, the last I heard the WC (worldcruise?) service will pick up at your home 3 pieces per person, 45 lbs. each. They charge about $1.50 per pound overweight. There is also no limit how much you bring on board yourself. Of course, if your flying you usually have just 2 pieces per person. (In our case, we're flying Jet Blue and they told me, if I heard right, that we are allowed 3 pieces per person.

Marcie, I think you're confused with the airline restrictions Unless RSSC changed their rules, in the "2005 WORLD CRUISE" brochure, it states on page 59, exactly what I said. If you don't have the brochure, it states that you can clarify this by calling 800 395 8810 or email [email]ips.chq@juno.com[/email]. I haven't double checked this myself so if there's a difference, let us know.

I have some info for those on the Voyager full world cruise regardimg luggage. I just spoke to the people in charge of this service, (International Port Services.) On my previous post I reported that the rule was "3 pieces per person, 45 lbs. each. They're not concerned with the amount of pieces, just 135 lb. p.p., They'll pick it up at your home and you'll find it in your cabin when you board. They will also pick up your luggage at the end of the cruise and deliver it to your home. It's not to early to book the pick-up, especially if you're boarding in Ft. Lauderdale. We're all booked. This is all free to us, of course.

Hey All: Had to buy another trunk yesterday. That makes 4 trunks, 2 suitcases and 2 carryons. As I am schlepping it all in the family minivan, I am assuming that it will all be accepted at the PORT.

P.S. Looking forward to meeting you too Joanna as well as the rest of these nice people here and at LCT who will be on WC05 aka BAIL:cool:

Got the Evening Dress breakdown for the World Cruise.

Formal Informal Casual
Full World Cruise: 20 39 47

LA to Auckland 3 7 8
Auc to Sydney 3 4 7
Syd to Hong Kong 4 9 9
HK to Singapore 2 5 5
Sing to Dubai 2 3 6
Dubai to Civi(Rome) 3 6 7
Civi to Ft Laud 3 5 5

And thats just for the Evenings!

Yes Paul...let them take care of getting your trunks etc. onboard for you from your home. I faxed our RSVP back yesterday for the gala party at the LA St. Regis...we're getting excited!Since we live within the 50 mile radius, we'll be picked up from our home. WONDERFUL!

There are a lot of formal nights....I will sure be recycling outfits over and over again. I'll probably become recognized as the woman who ALWAYS wears the same old duds! :eek: :eek:

Archived