What "rookie" mistakes did you learn from?

Catrin

Don't buy any pictures until later in the cruise.

That way, you can look at them all together, compare them, and choose the best few. I used to buy the pictures all thru the week only to discover that I liked some taken later in the cruise better. I finally learned to just leave the pictures there (they won't take them away) and wait until the end of the week (usually the last sea day or last night) to compare them and only purchase the best of the best. It took me WAY too many cruises and way too much money and photos to figure that out!

.......What mistakes did you make as a newbie - that you learned from - and have used that knowledge in future cruises??.....

Our first cruise we let the cruise line book our flight (west coast to San Juan). They put us on a red-eye (midnight departure), flew all night, arrived at the port at noon, waited two hours before we could board, then went to our cabin and slept until 11pm when we departed.

Never again. We spent the first day (fortunately a sea day) recovering. Now we fly in the day before are arranging our own air for the time we want to depart and the airline we want to fly.

This brings back a lot of memories......

I did everything on the list above, and had to learn the hard way.

I also let Carnival book my air for a few trips, only to sit at the airport all day long , along with there exursions, only to find my table mates at the same place ae we were for 1/2 the money,

Mehans Bay binging one of them.

I also packed way too many clothes in the past... I am about to hit my platnium in February , and I am still learning something new each trip.

Er... will you please elaborate? I'm a "rookie" and I just booked a guaranteed cabin so any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

The last 4 cruises we've booked guarantees and have gotten great rooms; the last one, Valor, was 7338, and we could hear the ding of the elevator and people walking by late at night. Not bad enough to complain about. Have faith! :)

Er... will you please elaborate? I'm a "rookie" and I just booked a guaranteed cabin so any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

With a guarantee, you have to be willing to accept the WORST possible room for that category. Many times, you will get WONDERFUL rooms or even upgrades - but that is a luxury, not a right.

If you are prone to seasickness, you may not want to risk having a cabin in the front of the ship.

If you have a hard time walking, you may wish to be near the elevator.

Or if you are the type of person who doesn't like surprises.... book an assigned room.

Catrin

I went to every "talk" that the ship offered. I was sure if I didn't I would miss the ship, not be able to leave the ship correctly and shop in all the places that would rip me off. I now know that the opposite is true!:cool: I actually sat through the disembarkment talk on the first two cruises. Now we've figured out that we can just pick up our own luggage and get off the ship in record time.

Also, I was completely over dressed almost every day on my first cruise. I brought way more sundresses and things like that than I needed. I actually thought those nice advertisement were how people dressed on a cruise!! Now I know that casual shorts and a t-shirt are much more comfy and just as appropriate during the day.

And I was also one that thought every activity offered was one that required my presence! LOL We now spend most of our time just enjoying each other and not being at work. We come home relaxed and tan! We do still love excursions, though. I just take care of them myself.

packing too much

going to ship talks....when I could just watch them on TV at my leisure

thinking I had to eat everything and do everything

not ordering room service for more than an excursion day breakfast

trying to take so many photos..that I did not get to "enjoy the moment" I was taking....

wasting time shopping for souveniers I did not want anyway

and the list goes on and on........................

Our first lesson was that it only takes hours to drive from orlando to miami, not days! Second was how use a toll road. and to stay off them

In tears laughing about how long it takes to get from Orlando to Miami, hours not days.;) Not sure why you didn't like the toll road, it is the easiest quickest way out of Orlando. Next time get off at Jupiter Exit (1st Palm Beach Couny Exit) and catch I95 South the rest of the way. Cheaper than paying toll all the way to Miami.

Always,

Always,

Always fly in at least a day prior to the cruise. Especially since we cruise in winter/spring and the flights/weather out of the midwest can be sketchy! Sometimes even two days prior. It makes your trip a little longer and you get to see a whole extra port!!

The second sort of goes with the first. Our first cruise ever was out of San Juan and we had the cruise line book our flights. Our ship left at 10 pm. We landed at the San Juan airport at 10 pm!!! Thankfully there were about 30 of us on that flight and the ship waited for everyone to board. Our family of 6 was the last to get onboard and they pulled the gangway in right behind us and before the door was closed we were pulling out of dock. Worst part about it was we missed a lot of hours onboard that is actually considered a "day" in your 7 "day" cruise.

Go to the port early and get onboard and start enjoying ASAP!!! Make the most of the first day onboard.

Being too tired to have fun with the wife...:eek:

Taking my laptop (it was not fun carrying it around San Juan after debarkation)

Not staying an extra day after cruise

Not taking advantage of afternoon room service

Playing blackjack

Missing a Caribbean sunrise

stu

booking a guaranty, this means you get the rooms noone else wants.

we have had really good luck booking the guarantee

actually got an upgrade to the obstructed view/french doors room on the Legend from a guaranteed inside cabin

Took my first cruise 5 years ago and didn't know I'd made SO MANY rookie mistakes until I read this thread! :o

I booked the last cruise last minute, a week prior to sailing. I flew in the morning of the cruise ([I]and[/I] bought the flights thru Carnival...) I also purchased all my excursions on board. I don't remember ever ordering room service (not sure I even knew about it.) I overpacked. I even went out the day before the cruise to buy a shirt, jacket and tie for my then 4 year-old son after reading the dress code for the formal nights.

But, even though I clearly had no clue what I was doing, we had a fantastic time! :)

[quote name='mama_hao']Well I fell for the Bon Voyage drink scam.. You know where they offer you the drink and you think its free and after you take a drink they ask you for your card.
Rookie mistake[/quote]

Exactly! That was on my first cruise and I thought "wow, how nice that they are passing out free drinks!"
Duh!:o

Also, thinking the "free artwork" that they give you is more than a cheap poster and actually worth anything. :o:o

For me, it was not researching the ports and having an idea of what we wanted to do. Once we got onboard, most of the decent Carnival sponsored excursions were sold out and wound up with the leftovers.

Now I research ahead of time, figure out what we want to do, and for the most part go with independent tour operators.

[quote name='hililyhilo']Er... will you please elaborate? I'm a "rookie" and I just booked a guaranteed cabin so any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks![/quote]
We are cruising in November on the Liberty. We booked a guaranteed balcony and did get upgraded to 8C towards the back of the ship, but close to midship. Am very happy with the cabin, close to stairs and elevators but not close enough to hear the noise. I have to admit I was nervous about getting a bad cabin.

Biggest mistake, was not using this fine site. Found it later.:cool: Now cruises are so much better. We not only get to plan so well, but also get to experience sooo many other cruises through all of you:) .

[quote name='UsernameNotTaken']
I overpacked. I even went out the day before the cruise to buy a shirt, jacket and tie for my then 4 year-old son after reading the dress code for the formal nights.

:)[/quote]

I don't consider that to be a mistake..... I bet he got loads of comments as to how cute he looked....
I LOVE seeing kids 'dressed up' on formal nights!!!

Archived