Compass Rewards Program Ends

Host Kewlguy

I am out of town or I would have posted sooner. Boy am I bummed out. This is not as good as the current compass awards..but I am not surprised...I thought this was coming. NCL will just be the same old same old like everyone else....

now reading thru B of A web site for the WorldPoints card, which states $100 OBC for 10,000 points ran a bell that Celebrity had this card. It stunk with poor payback.

The B of A Supervisor I spoke with, when her clerk knew nothing about NCL's card changing from Platinum Plus to Worldpoints. She told me it will be the same rewards as we had. 500 points is $500 credit, etc. She did not say if it was still MC or VISA. Just that everything will be explained in the welcome package with the card that we get in December.

So I guess we all wait to see what we are getting. I do not believe til I read it.

I've got the same question. I am currently juggling two cards, and I can probably get the older one up to $500, but I don't plan on spending enough to get the 2nd one to the 500 point limit.

From the Compass Rewards Terms and Conditions:

"Stateroom upgrades: (a) A one-category upgrade for first person in cabin: 100 points. Value of reward not to exceed $100; (b) A one-category upgrade for first and second person in cabin: 200 points. Value of reward not to exceed $200; © A two-category upgrade for second person in cabin: 300 points. Value of reward not to exceed $300; and (d) A two-category upgrade for first and second persons in cabin: 400 points. Value of reward not to exceed $400. Cruise discounts: (a) $500 discount: 500 Points; (b) $1,000 discount: 1,000 points; © $1,500 discount: 1,500 points; (d) $2,000 discount: 2,000 points; (e) $2,500 discount: 2,500 points; and (f) $3,000 discount: 3,000 points. Upgrade and discount rewards may be used for any eligible NCL, Orient, or Star Cruise arrangements."

So if you can get your card(s) to about an even factor of 100 points, but less than 500 you could get something for those points.

Time to search for a new card company. World Points requires you to earn 50,000 points to get a $500 cruise reward:

https://wwwa.managerewardsonline.bankofamerica.com/RMSapp/Ctl/link?eid=D14BCCDF

(look at the right column: How far will your points take you? 25,000 = $250 off the cruise of your choice )

There are a lot of depressed NCL cruisers today. I always had a gut feeling the program would end sooner rather than later. When I opened the envelope I can't say I was surprised. All good things must come to an end.

No, I guess I knew in my heart that it wouldn't last long so I am not surprised either.

Another year would have been nice though. ;)

to your leftover Compass Rewards, from the FAQ link posted:

What happens to my Compass Rewards?

NCL is terminating the Compass Reward program. In accordance with the program terms and conditions you will be issued a Compass Reward certificate based on your point balance as of December 31 , 2008. You will receive your final certificates in January 2009.

I wish we could combine points from the two BoA cards we have, then we'd have 500 points. We'll have to spend at least $3000 for on-board credit for our upcoming cruise to make enough points to cash out 500...:(

There are a lot of depressed NCL cruisers today. I always had a gut feeling the program would end sooner rather than later. When I opened the envelope I can't say I was surprised. All good things must come to an end.

Ever since I read your first post on this I've had this feeling like I just lost a friend, or more fittingly, learned that a friend was dieing. I'll use my last $5,000 in 2009, 1/2 in February which was alread planned on the Dawn, and the other 1/2 at some point in the summer. My Feb, 2010 cruise on the Star may get the axe. :(

The loss of this card will definately impact our futer travel towards whatever is the best deal, whether it be land, an NCL cruise, or a competitor. The Oasis has really intrigued me, thus this gives me some time to figure out a way to build points or cash back to try out RCCL.

All that said, I have no complaints about what we had while we had it. When all is said and done I'll have used $15,500 in certificates in the lifespan I had this card. As you said, all great things must come to an end, but damn, it sure was great while it lasted... and definately made me choose NCL over any competitors!

http://www.ncl.com/csimages/1000/73/CompassRewardsFAQ.pdf

Preds - Thanks for the tip on the great benefits of the AMEX Hilton Honors card. Only 4 points from a NCL BOA certificate; so need to apply for the new AMEX Hilton Honors card tonight.

No problem! The Amex HiltonHhonors card is an excellent alternative for land based vacations. The card has great benefits, and I've found the value to easily surpass that of airline miles cards.

That said, the NCL Compass Rewards card was still my #1 choice. Really bummed to lose it!

Ever since I read your first post on this I've had this feeling like I just lost a friend, or more fittingly, learned that a friend was dieing. I'll use my last $5,000 in 2009, 1/2 in February which was alread planned on the Dawn, and the other 1/2 at some point in the summer. My Feb, 2010 cruise on the Star may get the axe. :(

The loss of this card will definately impact our futer travel towards whatever is the best deal, whether it be land, an NCL cruise, or a competitor. The Oasis has really intrigued me, thus this gives me some time to figure out a way to build points or cash back to try out RCCL.

All that said, I have no complaints about what we had while we had it. When all is said and done I'll have used $15,500 in certificates in the lifespan I had this card. As you said, all great things must come to an end, but damn, it sure was great while it lasted... and definately made me choose NCL over any competitors!

Wow. $15,500 is great. When all is said and done our total in certificates will be $3,000 in four years that we've had the card. I'm thankful for that though. A friend of mine just got the card on my recommendation and will only be able to get one certificate when the program ends.

In the past I have used them against cruises that happen after the expiration of the certificate (sent them in as payment though before the certificate expired) and had no problems----

Preds, just in case you missed this post earlier, I think it'd be worth a shot to try and use your rewards to pay for your 2010 cruise instead of letting them go to waste.

Preds, just in case you missed this post earlier, I think it'd be worth a shot to try and use your rewards to pay for your 2010 cruise instead of letting them go to waste.

Thanks, I had read mbisson's post as well. I know my Feb 2010 cruise will be only 1 month after the certificate sail by date, but I'm not really willing to risk $2500 in points on them Thanks, enforcing a technicality.

This just gives me a reason to book a cruise in the summer. We're considering Alaska in August again, though this time on the Pearl. Bermuda is another option.

I won't let points go to waste!

:mad: :mad: :mad: Like the rest of you, this card was one reason we have been pretty loyal to NCL, it made the decision very easy in most cases. I haven't seen much reference to airline travel cards yet and that is something that would help us almost as much as dollars of our cruise fare. Are there any good airline cards out there or are the point values so low that it would take a long time to earn trips? We generally earn about $1500 a year off our NCL cruises using 2 cards.

By the way, did I mention I was mad? grrr

:mad: :mad: :mad: Like the rest of you, this card was one reason we have been pretty loyal to NCL, it made the decision very easy in most cases. I haven't seen much reference to airline travel cards yet and that is something that would help us almost as much as dollars of our cruise fare. Are there any good airline cards out there or are the point values so low that it would take a long time to earn trips? We generally earn about $1500 a year off our NCL cruises using 2 cards.

By the way, did I mention I was mad? grrr

We have a USAirways Signature Visa that we like. When you first sign up you get 25,000 miles and every dollar charged equals 1 mile. Plus you get companion tickets for $90 or so. There's 2 types, so you'll have to read about them. There is a yearly fee attached as well, but we find it's worth it.

:mad: :mad: :mad: Like the rest of you, this card was one reason we have been pretty loyal to NCL, it made the decision very easy in most cases.

My Compass Rewards card was definately the main reason I was loyal to NCL....I guess my TA will be happy now that I'll try other lines.

boo-hoo, I'll have $1000 in CR and (I think) a year to use them, so I don't lose, I'm just sad

We have a USAirways Signature Visa that we like. When you first sign up you get 25,000 miles and every dollar charged equals 1 mile. Plus you get companion tickets for $90 or so. There's 2 types, so you'll have to read about them. There is a yearly fee attached as well, but we find it's worth it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that card is slated to end February 09 when BOA's contract is up with US Airways according to many posters on FlyerTalk.

US Airways has moved all their credit card programs over to Barclay's Bank.

I have this card as well, and 100s of thousands of US Airways points. Dividend Miles has to be one of the most difficult programs to actually redeem points for decent value out there. This is one card I won't be heartbroken to lose.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that card is slated to end February 09 when BOA's contract is up with US Airways according to many posters on FlyerTalk.

US Airways has moved all their credit card programs over to Barclay's Bank.

I have this card as well, and 100s of thousands of US Airways points. Dividend Miles has to be one of the most difficult programs to actually redeem points for decent value out there. This is one card I won't be heartbroken to lose.

LOL... figures! Any idea as to when the miles need to be used? Do you recommend a miles card? Thanks for the advice.

LOL... figures! Any idea as to when the miles need to be used? Do you recommend a miles card? Thanks for the advice.

Well, the miles should be in your Dividend Miles account, thus as long as you have activity once a year (or is it 18 months) they shouldn't expire.

The Barclay's cards are OK, not great, I have those as well. I primarily used the 2 different Dividend Miles cards to help keep my preferred status ($25,000 in spending converts 10,000 points to preferred points eligible for status). Here's a link to the Barclay's Cards http://www.mostmiles.com/app/japply/lp/domains/mostmiles_aep.jsp?source=dmcontent10

I'm really not sure what card I'm going to switch to in the absence of the Compass Rewards cards, I already use the Amex Hhonors card quite a bit, it's probably in the top 2 or 3 cards out there. The Gold VIP status you can obtain using that card is awesome, we get upgraded into suites or executive floors routinely because of it.

I've also read up on the Amex Starwood card, and it has huge fans, and the points can be converted to American Airlines miles in 10,000 point increments with 5,000 mile bonuses, so for a "miles" card, the Starwood Hotel card may beat anything else out their if you fly American.

I have to do some serious research in the next couple weeks, in the meantime, my Amex Hhonors card is going to get some extra heavy usage!

Thanks, Preds ~ Please let us know if you come across a great deal. I appreciate your advice.

FlyerTalk has some great advice on rewards cards. I haven't perused it in the last month or so, but no plan to read up on things and investigate some of the cards more closely.

Here's a link to their credit card forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=599

Well the only good news I could find with this World Points program is that you can earn extra points per $1 spent if you order online with BOA's participating merchants. The downside is that you have to go to this page each time you want to buy something through one of their participating merchants to receive the extra ponts.

Here's a link to BOA's merchants:

https://rewardsshoppingmall.bankofamerica.com/worldpoints/jsp/home.jsp

On the upper left side of this page are links that allow you to shop by points (i.e. 1-3 points, 4-6 points, 7-9 points, and 10 or more points).

For example, if you shop at Home Depot online you can receive 2 points for every $1 you spend. If you shop at JCPenny online you can earn 4 points per $1. ...but you have to start each online purchase from the B of A "Shopping Mall".

Unfortunately, this won't allow us to earn extra points for everyday things we might use our credit card for like gas and food but it does give us the other opportunity to earn more points on other things we might buy.

Unused points will be applied to the World Points program. Your NCL Compass Rewards credit card will automatically be converted to the NCL Worldpoints credit card program.

Do we know for a fact that unused points will be converted to the new point system? I didn't see this anywhere on my letter. Do they allow you to purchase points so you can get to the next $500 increment before it ends? I will be just a few points shy of 3000 when it ends. I will max out my yearly 1000 in October or November which means I will get 2500 with about 483 left over.

To top it off, everyone is going to be scrambling to use those points before 12/09!

I can't see many discounts in the future, because everyone will be trying to beat the clock on the expiration :eek:

I called BOA and the customer service didn't know anything at first, when I mentioned Worldpoints I guess it popped up on her computer.

She didn't have any information, except reading me the letter others have posted. She did repeat over and over that this was an "enhancement", with more options.

Oh well, I figure I will have 1,270 or so points by Dec. Do you think they will just disregard all the "over" points? For example I can get $1000 off a cruise, an upgrade, and have either 70 or 50 (I forget the upgrade value) extra points- do you think they'll make a concession and give you the full value of the points you've earned, or only give the value of the ones eligible for certificates?:confused:

To top it off, everyone is going to be scrambling to use those points before 12/09!

I can't see many discounts in the future, because everyone will be trying to beat the clock on the expiration :eek:

I called BOA and the customer service didn't know anything at first, when I mentioned Worldpoints I guess it popped up on her computer.

She didn't have any information, except reading me the letter others have posted. She did repeat over and over that this was an "enhancement", with more options.

Oh well, I figure I will have 1,270 or so points by Dec. Do you think they will just disregard all the "over" points? For example I can get $1000 off a cruise, an upgrade, and have either 70 or 50 (I forget the upgrade value) extra points- do you think they'll make a concession and give you the full value of the points you've earned, or only give the value of the ones eligible for certificates?:confused:

I'm hoping that due to the circumstances of the program being cancelled that they'll give us certificate(s) for the total amount of points earned by the end of the year. I am in the same situation with more than 500 points and less than 1000 points.

Robin

Do we know for a fact that unused points will be converted to the new point system? I didn't see this anywhere on my letter. Do they allow you to purchase points so you can get to the next $500 increment before it ends? I will be just a few points shy of 3000 when it ends. I will max out my yearly 1000 in October or November which means I will get 2500 with about 483 left over.

That's what I originally thought but I apparently was mistaken about that.

Archived