Ship docks at San Juan from 5 P.M. to mid-night. What shore excursions can I take?

v_star4eva

Does anyone know what we can do between 5 P.M. to mid night in San Juan port? There's one Old San Juan walking tour that Carnival offers but it only lasts for 1.5 hours and it costs $29 per person.

Have you guys done a walking tour in Old San Juan on your own? We really want to explore the city ourselves instead of paying for a tour as I read on Frommers site that Old San Juan is pretty easy to get around.

Help, please !!!

Does anyone know what we can do between 5 P.M. to mid night in San Juan port? There's one Old San Juan walking tour that Carnival offers but it only lasts for 1.5 hours and it costs $29 per person.

Have you guys done a walking tour in Old San Juan on your own? We really want to explore the city ourselves instead of paying for a tour as I read on Frommers site that Old San Juan is pretty easy to get around.

Help, please !!!

A good place to start is the San Juan blog maintained by a couple of cc board participants. They provide extensive information on what to do in the evening (or other times).

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/evening-in-old-san-juan/

Mike

Hi

You can easily do a walking tour of OSJ on your own. The city is not that big and there are lots to see - though at that time some will be closed. but still nice to see from the outside - http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/2008/09/41-ideas-for-old-san-juan/

and ideas for a walking tour http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/2008/07/self-guided-walking-tour-of-old-san-juan-part-1/

If you happen to dock on a Tuesday (on time) you could quickly head up to San Cristobel fort and catch the weekly local music and dance show Le Lo Lei - starts at 6pm and last for about 1 hour.

This map will give you an idea where things are relative to the OSJ piers

http://*****.com/san-juan-cruiseship-piers

Other options - ship might offer the Bio Bay tour over at Fajardo (if the moon phase is good)

You could do an organized night tour with Legends of PR

Hope that helps

Help, please !!!

Well, you are here on a Monday night and the hours stink- kind of a tough call. Not too much going on.

Of course you can walk around OSJ by yourself- it is safe and well light. The buildings will be closed, but you can see a lot of great views and sculptures. Walk along the Paseo de Princesa and up to El Morro- it is very pretty.

For "things to do" check:http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/evening-in-old-san-juan/

I think you may be a little early to catch the Flamenco guitar and dance show (Juan Carlos). He said he would restart the show in November,but I think it may be later in the month. But you can call and ask.

The only way I would do the BioBay trip with your port times is if it is offered by the cruise ship (but your times in port probably prevent it from being doable). There may be a night time zip line tour available....

Horse and carriage rides and Segway tours stop at dusk...

You can go to a bar/restaurant get drinks and tapas to try to local rums and flavors.

There is always Senor Frogs for drinks/music.

Help, please !!!

We are also going out of Miami on Liberty 11-1-08. Sounds like we are out of luck in San Juan! This is also our 1st Eastern Carribean cruise. We took a 3 day last time to Nassau. Are you going to book a snorkel tour? I want to, but not sure which one to do? We live in Oklahoma, where are you from?

We sail on the Liberty on 11/15 and were disappointed at the excursion options as well.

One of the people on our roll call decided to put something together. He called:

http://www.kayakingpuertorico.com/pages/biobay.html

and was able to put together a deal with them. They're picking us up at the dock and delivering us back at 10:30pm, and since we have 15-20 people (at least), it worked out to only $60pp.

You should talk to the people on your roll call and see if you can put something together for yourselves. There is no point (and maybe no hope) in waiting for Carnival to post excursions.

Enjoy!

We are also going out of Miami on Liberty 11-1-08. Sounds like we are out of luck in San Juan! This is also our 1st Eastern Carribean cruise. We took a 3 day last time to Nassau. Are you going to book a snorkel tour? I want to, but not sure which one to do? We live in Oklahoma, where are you from?

Hi JBMM,

We're planning to do a self-guided tour around Old San Juan for from 5-6 P.M. and maybe stop by some place for drinks and that's pretty much it. We're going to do some snorkeling in Coki Beach after the sightseeing tour with Sunny Liston (FYI: it's $30 for lesson and 1/2 tour including all the equipment rentals through Coki Beach Dive Club). We're from Virginia. This is my third time with Carnival cruise and my husband's first cruise ever :-) ! Let me know if you need help with shore excursions. I've been doing a lot of research for independent tour excursions (the Carnival ones are a bit too pricey for me).

Hi,

Here is my email if you want to contact me directly: mfletcher9@cox.net

I'm not too good at working in these boards. We have snorkeled once before, so don't think we need lessons. I've heard that the night in San Juan may be one of the formal nights, if so, we may just stay onboard. jbmm

Just an FYI when we were in SJ last March we were able to do the Segways even after sunset and there was a tour after we were done. Just contact Jose and see if he is willing to add tours--he is very accomodating and it was one of our favorite tours!

Just an FYI when we were in SJ last March we were able to do the Segways even after sunset and there was a tour after we were done. Just contact Jose and see if he is willing to add tours--he is very accomodating and it was one of our favorite tours!

We just booked with Jose for 5:45 in December. We are looking forward to it very much, whether it be light or dark.

Mike

Archived