Roll Call: Celebrity Summit 12-13-08

wxjcupo

Hi all --

An unexpected and last minute price reduction swayed me into booking reservations on the Celebrity Summit 12-13-2008 sailing of the southern Caribbean. What really intrigued me is that this sailing will be taking us to Bonaire and I have never been there, so it should be fun. Anyway, was wondering if there were any like-minded souls onboard this quick getaway cruise.

Funny thing is that I will be boarding the exact same cruise ship on April of 2009 for the transatlantic from San Juan to Barcelona, so I should have a great lay of the ship by the time I am done! haha!

--Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jeff,

I will be doing the Summit transatlantic from Barcelona to San Juan arriving on Dec 13th. I did the Constellation in April (the sister ship) and it was nice. Too bad I missed out on the cheap fares for the Dec 13th sailing or i'd join you

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeff,

will also be traveling on the Summit to represent "Old Europe". As it is getting cold here in Germany, I am really looking forward to the warm Carribbean :-) Especially as all the islands on the tour will be new to me and my travel companion.

Oliver

Hi Jeff:

Wanted to post to let you know that there will be two more "Like Minded Souls" on board the December 13th Summit cruise. Definitely need to meet up for a drink - Speaking of....Does anyone know if Celebrity has a "Friends of Dorthy" gathering like RC? If not I guess we need to start our own! Look forward to meeting you both.

Myles

Hi Jeff,

I will be doing the Summit transatlantic from Barcelona to San Juan arriving on Dec 13th. I did the Constellation in April (the sister ship) and it was nice. Too bad I missed out on the cheap fares for the Dec 13th sailing or i'd join you

Gary

Hi Gary,

Well, leave the ship in good shape for us then when you disembark. haha!

Did you see the price reduction for that particular cruise? I don't know which category you are sailing in, but, just as an example, the interior rooms are going for $399 a person for that 14-day TA. Simply amazing. That is so dirt cheap, that if you are flying using your points, the trip would be practically free! LOL! Make sure, if you paid more, to contact your travel agent to ensure you rebooked with the cheaper fare. You would be eligible for it since those new prices are being advertised for all.

That happened to me for this Southern Caribbean cruise. It went down $100 per person from what I booked it at originally. I just contacted my travel agent and she reissued my reservation with money refunded to my credit card.

Enjoy your TA!!!!

--Jeff

My partner and I are from Philadelphia and will also be on the 12/13 Summit sailing out of Puerto Rico. See you there.

Hey man,

Well, we should plan a time to meet up at one of the lounges. My partner and I live in San Juan, so are schedule is totally flexible.

Yes, looking forward to seeing you there too.

--Jeff

Hi Jeff,

will also be traveling on the Summit to represent "Old Europe". As it is getting cold here in Germany, I am really looking forward to the warm Carribbean :-) Especially as all the islands on the tour will be new to me and my travel companion.

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

My partner and I live in San Juan. If I can suggest one thing and one thing only -- bring sunscreen!!! ;-) Welcome to the Caribbean! We look forward to meeting you.

--Jeff

Hi Jeff:

Wanted to post to let you know that there will be two more "Like Minded Souls" on board the December 13th Summit cruise. Definitely need to meet up for a drink - Speaking of....Does anyone know if Celebrity has a "Friends of Dorthy" gathering like RC? If not I guess we need to start our own! Look forward to meeting you both.

Myles

Hi Miles,

My partner and I were on Celebrity's Galaxy in March of this year in and out of San Juan and there were several "Friends of Dorothy" get-togethers. Unfortunately, every time we went to one, there was never anyone there! lol! Perhaps we need to schedule a time to meet up in one of the lounges and make our own, like you said, regardless of what the rest of the ship is doing. Looking forward to meeting you as well!

Cheers!

--Jeff

Hi Jeff:

Sounds like a plan to me!

My partner and I cruised on the Millennium a couple of years back and found that the Martini Bar was a great place to meet up with other "like minded souls" before we actually set sailed on the first day. We ended up having dinner with the group a few times in the specialty restaurant - Great times!

Since you live in San Juan - Can you suggest a good hotel to stay at? We fly in on Friday morning and thinking of the Caribe Hitlon but I have heard really good things about the San Juan Beach Water Resort Hotel and last but not least, read good reviews about the Acacia. If you have any suggestions it would be deeply appreciated!

Myles

Hi Jeff:

Sounds like a plan to me!

My partner and I cruised on the Millennium a couple of years back and found that the Martini Bar was a great place to meet up with other "like minded souls" before we actually set sailed on the first day. We ended up having dinner with the group a few times in the specialty restaurant - Great times!

Since you live in San Juan - Can you suggest a good hotel to stay at? We fly in on Friday morning and thinking of the Caribe Hitlon but I have heard really good things about the San Juan Beach Water Resort Hotel and last but not least, read good reviews about the Acacia. If you have any suggestions it would be deeply appreciated!

Myles

Hi Myles,

The Hilton Caribe is a great, established resort that overlooks Fort San Jeronimo with its own semi-private beach on Condado Bay. It is minutes from the Pan American cruise ship pier from which the Summit will depart. You cannot go wrong with the Hilton. It is a great hotel and have been there several times for business (but never stayed there overnight).

The Water Club is on Isla Verde and is more hip/urbane, with that "South Beach" boutique hotel feel: it has 'black' lights and a waterfall in the elevator. It is also much farther away (by about 15-20 minutes or so) to the east, depending on traffic. It, too, is on the beach, but you have to cross the dead-end street to get your feet sandy. The beach is public, unlike the semi-private Hilton.

I know nothing about the Acacia, so I cannot comment. It is a small botique hotel in Condado. I have met people who loved the charm and I have also met people who hated it, so I cannot comment either way.

The La Concha and the Condado Beach Resort are both on Condado as well and are close to the pier. They are also big hotels, but have that botique, hip feel to them. Both have been recently remodeled and are right on the famous Condado Beach.

I hope this helps you!

--Jeff

Hi everybody,

looks like there is a nice crowd... Dont worry: I will buy some sun screen once I arrive! it is not my first trip to PR!

On the hotel topic: I stayed at the Waterclub about 5 years ago and it was quite nice. Cool styling, but you can hear the noise from all other rooms as well (well, thats American building quality I guess :-) As we will already arrive on the 11th, we also booked rooms through hotwire.com - and got a nice deal on: the Waterclub again. So looks like that will be the pre-cruise meeting point.

Does any of you have a profile on gayromeo.com or gaydar.co.uk?

See you soon - still counting!

Oliver

Hi everybody,

looks like there is a nice crowd... Dont worry: I will buy some sun screen once I arrive! it is not my first trip to PR!

On the hotel topic: I stayed at the Waterclub about 5 years ago and it was quite nice. Cool styling, but you can hear the noise from all other rooms as well (well, thats American building quality I guess :-) As we will already arrive on the 11th, we also booked rooms through hotwire.com - and got a nice deal on: the Waterclub again. So looks like that will be the pre-cruise meeting point.

Does any of you have a profile on gayromeo.com or gaydar.co.uk?

See you soon - still counting!

Oliver

Hi Oliver!

> well, thats American building quality I guess

Ahh, PR may be a commonwealth of the United States, but for all intents and purposes, PR is an independent nation. The US had nothing to do with the building of that structure! :-)

No, I don't have a profile on either of those sites, sorry!

See you soon.

--Jeff

Regarding hotels, we are staying at Condado Plaza. We stayed there 3 years ago as well on our last cruise out of PR. It's on the ocean, has great views and is very convenient to the pier. Rates are reasonable, $140/night.

Hi Guys:

Jeff - Thank you for the advice on the Caribe Hilton - as I was searching on line to book it I came across a sweet deal on the Normandie, Continental Breakfast and (2) Martinis included in the $140.00 room rate - So I grabbed it! (It was the 2 Martinis that got me!) Then I started reading the reviews - should be interesting to say the least - but the good thing is, it is only (1) night!

Couple questions for all:

Tuxedos? Is anyone renting or bringing them? We have found in the past that you actually only wear them during dinner then change out of them as soon as you possible so you can to enjoy the rest of the evening in comfort. Just kind of testing the waters for I have read that cruises that leave out of San Juan vs. the Miami cruises can be pretty dressy on the formal nights. I think we would rather blend than stand out if you know what I mean.

And is anyone planning on visiting the Atlantic Beach hotel bar on Friday night? Friends said it can be a really good time. Let us know:

Myles

No tuxes for us. On our Caribbean cruise last march (Celebrity as well), there were a few that wore tuxedos on the formal nights, but most just wore suits. That's what we will do. But those who wanted to wear them never seemed out of place. So, if it is a joy for you... suit up! Have fun! :D

Hi Guys:

Jeff - Thank you for the advice on the Caribe Hilton - as I was searching on line to book it I came across a sweet deal on the Normandie, Continental Breakfast and (2) Martinis included in the $140.00 room rate - So I grabbed it! (It was the 2 Martinis that got me!) Then I started reading the reviews - should be interesting to say the least - but the good thing is, it is only (1) night!

Couple questions for all:

Tuxedos? Is anyone renting or bringing them? We have found in the past that you actually only wear them during dinner then change out of them as soon as you possible so you can to enjoy the rest of the evening in comfort. Just kind of testing the waters for I have read that cruises that leave out of San Juan vs. the Miami cruises can be pretty dressy on the formal nights. I think we would rather blend than stand out if you know what I mean.

And is anyone planning on visiting the Atlantic Beach hotel bar on Friday night? Friends said it can be a really good time. Let us know:

Myles

Hi Myles,

One more thing, about the Atlantic Beach Hotel Bar ... we have been there several times, but will pass this time around. It can be a lot of fun if there are people there, since it is right on the ocean. Sometimes, we have been there when there wasn't a soul in sight and at times when it was standing room only. So, it depends. Also, if you go, always order an alcoholic beverage. My partner ordered a simple club soda one time and was charged the same price as my Corona, so make sure you liquor up if you order at all.

--Jeff

Archived