Puerto Val - Lunch - Malecon or Resort

lovevacadays

Hi,

Looking for lunch suggestions in Puerto Vallarta. We would like Mexican food either on the Malecon or a Resort by the beach. Have been to the Krystal Vallarta and enjoyed it but would like to try something new.

Price range open - looking for something with a casual, fun atmosphere but not too "fun" as in Sr. Frog's type place.

La Palapa right on the "Playa de los Muertes" beach near Old Town.

http://www.lapalapapv.com/

On Plata de los Muertes there are a few more restaurants right on the beach, but La Palapa is the most known one.

You need to take a bus (Centro) or a cab to get there.

Barcelona Tapas, not on a beach but on a hill with great view over the city. Also transportation needed to ge there.

http://www.vallartaonline.com/restaurants/barcelona/

I would not eat at the Malecon. Many of those restaurants were deserted- never a good sign. One we walked into even smelled of you-know-what!!:eek: Stick to the resorts. Next time I am there, I will not be going to the Malecon. I will be going to the Sheraton or another resort which are all practically next door to where the ship docks.

I would not eat at the Malecon. Many of those restaurants were deserted- never a good sign. One we walked into even smelled of you-know-what!! Stick to the resorts. Next time I am there, I will not be going to the Malecon. I will be going to the Sheraton or another resort which are all practically next door to where the ship docks.

This is the second very negative remark I've read that you've made about a place in Mexico.

Do you really dislike it that much? If you DO dislike it that much, why do you think you'll go back?

If you DON'T dislike it that much, why do you speak so negatively of your experiences?

This is the second very negative remark I've read that you've made about a place in Mexico.

Do you really dislike it that much? If you DO dislike it that much, why do you think you'll go back?

If you DON'T dislike it that much, why do you speak so negatively of your experiences?

I do not travel with blinders on. I have traveled since I was 2 all over the world and am savvy and aware of things. The animals and how they were treated greatly disturbs me and I will voice this wholeheartedly. I am not going to offer advice I do not believe in just to appease some members who do not like the truth. This board is for all to share the experiences and these were mine. And if you read carefully, I speak of staying on the ship at some of the ports as it is the cruise I love and remember- it is the journey, not the destination. If my honesty offends you, I would prefer you place me on your ignore list so that my more factual accounts of these places will not offend you any longer and I can comment freely without question. Back to the topic!!!

I speak of staying on the ship at some of the ports as it is the cruise I love

That answers my question. It is the ship, not the trip. Fine.

If my honesty offends you, I would prefer you place me on your ignore list so that my more factual accounts of these places will not offend you any longer and I can comment freely without question

Boy, I ask a simple question and that's your reply? Honesty is never a bad thing; hostility, however, is really not excusable.

The Malecon has wonderful restaurants. I have been to P.V around 8 times to date, have a T.S at the Sheraton which is closer to the Malecon than the port where the ships dock.La Chata is good for Mexican with a fantastic view and La Dolce Vita for good Italian food. A few streets up from the Malecon is Pipi's which has a fun atmosphere.Someone mentioned La Palapa which is right on the beach, a fantastic restaurant as well.

Too many good places to eat, dont eat at a resort:)

I would not eat at the Malecon. Many of those restaurants were deserted- never a good sign. One we walked into even smelled of you-know-what!!:eek: Stick to the resorts. Next time I am there, I will not be going to the Malecon. I will be going to the Sheraton or another resort which are all practically next door to where the ship docks.

YOUR SO WRONG! Been travelling to PV for over 30 years, the last 10 years we have been staying for 2 to 3 months. NEVER EVER BEEN SICK and I don't eat at tourists traps or high end resorts unless I'm forced to by special occasions. Take your blinders off cleopatra your not!

I don't know what time of year or day you were there, but deserted restaurants on the Malecon? Hard to believe. We have eaten at nearly all of them, and had great food and superb service. We've been going to PV for land-based visits for nearly 20 years, so do know of what we speak.

Luv2cruise gave several good recommendations, but honestly, it's difficult to go wrong.

Texalana, will the scooter go over cobblestones easily? Unless they've opened in the past few months, there isn't much around the pier area. There are some restaurants down the road that runs by Walmart (not the highway, but the side street) that have inexpensive, authentic food. There might be some between the dock and the Krystal (they seem to come and go...it appeared last December that some were about to open), there's the Krystal (tortilla soup isn't usually listed on the menu but is available and delicious), and then there's the marina area, but you'll need to take a taxi rather than navigate the sidewalk with the scooter.

lv2cruz, is there someplace you'd recommend for shrimp in PV?

I'm not lv2cruz, but....

If you're willing to take a taxi the opposite direction from town, or be adventurous and take a bus, Mauricio's towards Ixtapa has great shrimp and is a fun place. When we started going there 3 or 4 years ago, we were the only gringos in the place, but now it's becoming more well-known to visitors. There is also a Mauricio's in the marina area, but we didn't feel last year that the value for the money was the same. And it's certainly not the same experience!

If you want to stay in town, there are several specialty shrimp restaurants...The Blue Shrimp and The Shrimp Factory. Most of the nicer restaurants each have one or two shrimp entrees that are delicious.

Anyone who's headed out to Mismaloya can have a great seafood meal at Tony's, in the village across the highway from the beach. Giant shrimp is usually one of the offerings.

If you're willing to take a taxi the opposite direction from town, or be adventurous and take a bus, Mauricio's towards Ixtapa has great shrimp and is a fun place. When we started going there 3 or 4 years ago, we were the only gringos in the place, but now it's becoming more well-known to visitors. There is also a Mauricio's in the marina area, but we didn't feel last year that the value for the money was the same. And it's certainly not the same experience!

We have a physically active excursion in the morning, and we are not accustomed to heat/humidity/sun :D Thanks for the recommendations -- if we aren't feeling overwhelmed and exhausted, we'll give Mauricio's a try. We're into getting off the beaten path!

thanks to those that answered my post regarding Mexican Food. I really do want to try something on the Malecon. I'm not sure who posted La Chata but any additional info would be great.

Sorry I started a war of words. I love Mexico - have been 5 times to Mexican Riviera and once to Cozumel - loved all trips.

I don't know what time of year or day you were there, but deserted restaurants on the Malecon? Hard to believe. We have eaten at nearly all of them, and had great food and superb service. We've been going to PV for land-based visits for nearly 20 years, so do know of what we speak.

Luv2cruise gave several good recommendations, but honestly, it's difficult to go wrong.

Texalana, will the scooter go over cobblestones easily? Unless they've opened in the past few months, there isn't much around the pier area. There are some restaurants down the road that runs by Walmart (not the highway, but the side street) that have inexpensive, authentic food. There might be some between the dock and the Krystal (they seem to come and go...it appeared last December that some were about to open), there's the Krystal (tortilla soup isn't usually listed on the menu but is available and delicious), and then there's the marina area, but you'll need to take a taxi rather than navigate the sidewalk with the scooter.

I was just there a few days ago. I swear to you, the restaurants were dead. This one really did stink. I was really looking forward to it but as someone else said, look to the restaurants that are packed as a good indicator of where to eat. I am honestly not trying to enrage anyone here ( ie.e. poster AddictedTwo) but merely speaking from my own experiences there last week. Hey, if you have a cast iron stomach, more power to you.;)

I was just there a few days ago. I swear to you, the restaurants were dead. This one really did stink. I was really looking forward to it but as someone else said, look to the restaurants that are packed as a good indicator of where to eat. I am honestly not trying to enrage anyone here ( ie.e. poster AddictedTwo) but merely speaking from my own experiences there last week. Hey, if you have a cast iron stomach, more power to you.;)

Please! Go in peak season and watch the lines ups.

Please! Go in peak season and watch the lines ups.

I believe you that it gets busy- but will I still smell you-know what in any places?:( That was the restaurant Los Banos or some such, right there on the main drag(malecon). My husband and I both smelt it- no s**t. (pardon the pun)

I have been to P. Vallarta many times and will go back for a longer stay this winter.

Since you apparantly have been there in September is might explain the (according to your remarks) empty restaurants. For years September is the months with the fewest tourists.

In all those years I have never been sick in whatever restaurant, not only in P. Vallarta but in many other places.

Remember thousands of tourists come to those places and restaurant care about their businesses.

Can you recommend someplace near where the ship docks? My mom has a scooter and we need to stay close to the ship. Thanks! :)

Apart from the restaurants in the hotels you will not have many choices.

Most Restaurants are in Old Town for which you need to take a cab.

Opposite the dock you will see Walmart and Sam's. More to the left there is a nice shopping mall with the sign Liverpool. Inside that mall there is a Chili Restaurant and a buffetrestaurant.

Chilis's has tables with view over the port. Maybe not what you are looking for but it is an option.

...Texalana, will the scooter go over cobblestones easily? Unless they've opened in the past few months, there isn't much around the pier area. There are some restaurants down the road that runs by Walmart (not the highway, but the side street) that have inexpensive, authentic food. There might be some between the dock and the Krystal (they seem to come and go...it appeared last December that some were about to open), there's the Krystal (tortilla soup isn't usually listed on the menu but is available and delicious), and then there's the marina area, but you'll need to take a taxi rather than navigate the sidewalk with the scooter.

Yes, the scooter can go over cobblestones, as long as they're not too big. My mom LOVES to shop at cheap souvenir stands, as well as sit and "people watch", and I love to be near the water. It sounds like the Krystal may be a good option for us. Is it right where the ship docks? And are there places for souvenir shopping at, or on the way to, the Krystal? Thanks so much for the info. :)

I wouldn't expect to see any restaurant there crowded in September. Even in November places can be "dead", especially early evening, since locals eat long after cruise visitors are back on ship.

Tgreen I hope you are out there ( we are taking your dinner suggestion of Si Senor from another post we did), this post kind of got hijacked by Shrimp and Scooters. My original post regarding Mexican Food on the Malecon or Resort: Tgreen you mentioned a place in the Marina - so I am assuming if we just tell the taxi driver to take us to the Marina we will find the restaurant you suggested? You mentioned to walk around - are there shops, etc in the Marina area?

Archived