The Canal

Lady of the Lakes

Richard,

Your question wasn't directed to me, but I'll give you my reasons for preferring to not take the ship tour.

1) The ship tours tend to be very crowded. Independent tours are usually smaller.

2) Some independent tours are less expensive.

3) Independent tours can be more flexible.

To me, the biggest advantage of ship tours is the guarantee that they will get you back to the ship on time. Since my cruise ends in Colon, that isn't an issue for me.

Of course, the averager cruiser doesn't research the options for each port so the ship tours are the best choice for them.

I'm curious, why not take the ship tour?

Regards, Richard

Richard, I am wondering the same thing. But to answer your question, the tours on the ship are very expensive and we only want to see the Locks and then head back to the ship to relax. Everything that carnival (the cruise line we are on) is long and pricey.

Any advice would be appreciated.....

i am also just interested in seeing the locks for the same reasons (length and price of excursions too long and high priced) but would like to do something else before heading back to the ship...any suggestions? something on the way back from locks to cristobal pier or in that area. any suggestions? also would like to do a little shopping.

A word about the length of tours in Panama: Yes, they are long, but although Panama looks tiny, and is, it still is "big" when you get here. It takes a while to get to the interesting places because they all aren't crowded around the piers. This isn't an island like Aruba or St John. It takes around 2 hours when there isn't a lot of traffic to get from Panama to Colon, and there IS a lot of traffic. That's true whether you book independently or through the ship. So it's going to take 5 plus hours to see much of anything off the ship. Colon is not a port to wander around in on your own. If a cruise bus is stuck in traffic the ship waits. If Hector's van is stuck in traffic que lastima! A lot of the better "sights to see" have limited space and when the ships are in port, guess who buys up all the space? So for most folks, a ship tour in Panama is not a bad idea. Yes, there may be more flexibility if you go independently, and you may save some money, but . . .

Regards, Richard

It's probably not a useful answer to you, but you can see the locks well from the ship -from a deck forward as you get close to the locks to a place aft as you are ready to leave the lock. If there's a ship next to you, it's fun to watch the difference in levels between your ship and that one. Nancy

It's probably not a useful answer to you, but you can see the locks well from the ship -from a deck forward as you get close to the locks to a place aft as you are ready to leave the lock. If there's a ship next to you, it's fun to watch the difference in levels between your ship and that one. Nancy

NANCY THANK YOU FOR YOUR ANSWER. IT ANSWERED MY QUETION.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Are you doing a complete transit, a partial transit, or just stopping at Colon or Amador?

It sounded like she was on a complete transit going from the Mexican Riviera to Port Everglades. If this is true, she is going through the locks on both coasts.

Would like to know about the ferry going through the canal. Are there several smaller ferries or one big one? Is this the "Canal Experience" ship excursion? They talk about being on a "tour boat", not a ferry (HAL shore excursion book). I was wondering how comfortable the vessels are (can you sit down, stretch out, etc.?) in terms of someone with back problems or some other malady. Would love to hear from someone who actually took this excursion. Thanks!

Some of the ship's excursions also stop at the Gatun Locks (Eco Cruise, Chagres River to name a few). For those that do not want a long day on the ferry canal experience, would this also be a good way to experience some of Panama and see the Locks up close? I realize that we would be missing out on passing through Miraflores Locks by not going all the way through, but would experiencing just Gatun Locks not be enough?

I agree!!

We were on a partial transit on Island Princess in October and saw SO much from the ship! We came from the Pacific side, went through Miraflores and Pedro Miguel Locks, did a turn around in Gatun Lake, and then went back the through the locks. It was amazing!!

You can view from your balcony (if you have a cabin with a balcony), from the forward and aft decks, from the Promendade, and from places all over the ship.

And there was a huge container ship going through the locks next to us and just ahead of us and it was fascinating to watch the process going through the different gates.

Plus if you're on-board for the transit you get an excellent narration while on the trip through the canal.

• 2 weeks later...
A word about the length of tours in Panama: Yes, they are long, but although Panama looks tiny, and is, it still is "big" when you get here. It takes a while to get to the interesting places because they all aren't crowded around the piers. This isn't an island like Aruba or St John. It takes around 2 hours when there isn't a lot of traffic to get from Panama to Colon, and there IS a lot of traffic. That's true whether you book independently or through the ship. So it's going to take 5 plus hours to see much of anything off the ship. Colon is not a port to wander around in on your own. If a cruise bus is stuck in traffic the ship waits. If Hector's van is stuck in traffic que lastima! A lot of the better "sights to see" have limited space and when the ships are in port, guess who buys up all the space? So for most folks, a ship tour in Panama is not a bad idea. Yes, there may be more flexibility if you go independently, and you may save some money, but . . .

Regards, Richard

Hello Richard,

I just stumbled on this thread and started reading your post...First thank you for your wealth of information.

I'm hoping you can help me...We are in the planning process of planning a Panama Canal cruise and I was wanting to find out where I can go to get info on all the ports that a Panama Canal Cruise may stop. Books, internet sites, phone numbers to the Visitors guides...etc...

Ports: Labadee, Haiti...CArtagena, Columbia...Panama Canal...Cristabal Pier, Panama...Puerto Limon, Costa Rica...CAbo San Lucas, Mexico...Acapulco, Mexico...Huatulco, Mexico...Puntarenas, Costa Rica....Roatan, Honduras...Limon, Costa Rica...Puerto, Quetzal,,(Guatemala City)...Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

Thank you

Archived