Remedies for Sea Sickness

MP&MP

What I would like to know is what remedies do you fine helpful for sea sickness beside Dramamine.

My hubby normally gets sea sick on the tenders which is like a 5-15 min trip. He is normally fine on the ship and as long as he doesn't see any waves moving up and down we are good to go. But he took Dramamine one day and he was out cold for the whole day! Any suggestions?

I use the gray wristbands with the little plastic buttons that apply pressure to a certain area on your wrist. These work for me on board the tenders as well as the ship.

I bought them at Walgreens for $10.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100105&navAction=jump&navCount=0&nug=VPD&skuid=sku2662381&id=prod2662944

Carole

What I would like to know is what remedies do you fine helpful for sea sickness beside Dramamine.

My hubby normally gets sea sick on the tenders which is like a 5-15 min trip. He is normally fine on the ship and as long as he doesn't see any waves moving up and down we are good to go. But he took Dramamine one day and he was out cold for the whole day! Any suggestions?

Ginger tablets chewable or swallow ones. You can get them at most Pharms, Walmart and health stores. No side affects. Others here will attest to this I'm sure.

Bonine is the OTC version of Meclazine and does not (usually) cause drowsiness.

I've actually had good success eating Ginger Snaps when I've been on dive boats, which would be roughly equivalent to the tenders. There's not a TON of ginger in them, but the cookie is a nice treat and it does seem to settle the queasies for me.

We swear by Bonine. Both myself and my daughter get seasick. I use the adult bonine and she uses the Bonine, Jr. On our last cruise, there were 12-15 ft. waves for two days and neither of us were sick. It doesn't cause drowsiness either and is just one small, chewable pill a day.

If you believe you will need anything stronger or more pharmacological than the ginger or the wrist bands, i would strongly recommend finding something with the active ingrediant of mezicline. Bonine is one name brand but there are other preparations with the same active ingredient.

I did a test run with bonine and thought it worked wonderfully with no drowsiness at all.

my trick with bonine is too take them before i even get on the ship. then i take one for a couple more days and no seasickness at all. if the waters are choppy i sip on a giner ale in the middle of the ship and this takes care of any upcoming sickness. i hope your husband has a wonderful time on the cruise because of a cure he might have found here :) . have a great time.

Ginger gel caps we purchased at the health food store seemed to do the trick for us. Although, on our cruise it never really felt like we were on a ship as the waters were calm. We've used the ginger caps on bumpy rides in 6-seater airplanes and on the small ferry that goes from mainland Honduras to Roatan (sometimes referred to as "The Vomit Comet"), and even on some pretty rough trips, we've been fine.

For our cruise, we also packed non-drowsy formula Drammamine, JIC, but never needed it...thank goodness! I hope the ginger caps work as well for you and your hubby, somehow it justs feels better than drugging up to me.

ee

If you have access to a doctor, ask the doc for scopace. My brother and I do a fair share of open sea fishing and don't do well on boats. Never had a problem on a ship but a BOAT......:eek: Had a Captain on boat who told me he had gotten sea sick in every ocean in the world, said he takes scopace and no problem. I also take it now and NO PROBLEMS:) . Hope this helps.

james

things that have worked for me: Bonine [available over the counter and works like dramamine but without the sleepiness]; ginger: i always take candied ginger [the not hot kind] on small boat trips and eat it as necessary. used it during chemo also and it worked wonders; if you're in europe, get 'travel gum': have no idea what is in it, but it too works instantly and works perfectly. enjoy.

I have tried the wrist bands and the ginger tablets - neither worked for me. The only thing I can take is either Bonine (never been available in Australia) or Dramamine (which are no longer available in Australia). Ginger tablets just made me throw up ginger bile which burnt my esophegus. Different things work for different people and you just need to find what works for you. - mummsie:)

I know the crew will always suggest an apple, but I can't remember what variety. It was yellow or green. :confused: They know what to bring you though.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

My sister and her DD were on a rough cruise and the cabins steward gave then apple slice with the skins on (that was important for some reason ) I also use Bonine as a precaution before I leave port (ya never know what is beyond the safe harbor) and pack ginger candy just in case. It varies every cruise.

Mumsie, I can't imaging ginger bile. EWWWWW

My sister and her DD were on a rough cruise and the cabins steward gave then apple slice with the skins on (that was important for some reason ) I also use Bonine as a precaution before I leave port (ya never know what is beyond the safe harbor) and pack ginger candy just in case. It varies every cruise.

Great advice:)

These are all good remedies. My wife needs something stronger if the seas are going to be very rough. She gets Scopolamine patches from her doctor. It goes behind her ear and lasts for 3 days. This usually does the trick for her. We've seen alot of people onboard with them.

Happy Cruising! :)

These are all good remedies. My wife needs something stronger if the seas are going to be very rough. She gets Scopolamine patches from her doctor. It goes behind her ear and lasts for 3 days. This usually does the trick for her. We've seen alot of people onboard with them.

Happy Cruising! :)

Scopace is the tablet form of this.

I swear by the ginger tablets. The only thing with them is you have to make sure you keep taking them throughout the day. I forgot while in port one day, and didn't make it through my dinner. I took my pills and felt better. Is part of it psychological? Probably, but it was good enough for MythBusters and it doesn't knock me out. I paid for the cruise and I want to be awake to enjoy it!

Bonine actually made me sleepy--I know it says "less drowsiness". But maybe for us "sensitive " cruisers, not the best option... The wristbands work and work immediately. We hit a storm at sea on our Ne/Canada cruise. I had wristbands on and was fine. My husband was not feeling well so I gave them to him--I immediately began to feel sick. we then went to the "Duty Free" shop to purchase another pair and we were then both ok.

when should we start taking them and how often? did not get sick on our last cruise but it was in June. We are leaving out of NY 11/29/08 and not sure how it will be.

Thank you in advance, and thank you to everyone that posts on these boards they have been a great help.

Archived